Prospect Info: Leafs Pick #185 -Nikita Korostelev - RW - Sarnia Sting OHL (RUS) 6' 1" 195

brettzz

Jul 20, 2014
maybe he said he was going back to russia if he didnt get time in the nhl.. thats one thing the leafs can do that most others might now

Mikeyg

Dec 26, 2011
so whats with this khl thing? does he have a contract over there and if so how long?

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
_DSC0035.JPG

465013433-nikita-korostelev-of-the-sarnia-sting-skates-gettyimages.jpg

RoadWarrior

Mar 4, 2002
In a van down by the river
Visit site
Scouting Report from eliteprospects:

"A deft skater that plays a skill-based, puck-possession game. Very creative with the puck: can let loose an accurate bullet, utilize his stickhandling ability to create chances, or make a seeing-eye pass to an open teammate. Good hands around the net and relentless on the forecheck. Doesn't shy away from the physical game. All-in-all, a very creative sniper that can set up, score, and play physical. (Curtis Joe, EP 2014) "

catgoldfish

Nov 15, 2004
British Columbia
Skating is supposed to be weak. But we had Antropov and look how well he turned out. Gotta be positive about all the picks we got. Was hoping to get a goalie but oh well.

Screwball

Oct 4, 2010
Oakville, ON
He moved to Toronto at the age of 14 to pursue the dream of playing in the NHL. That takes a fair amount of dedication, I hope this kid turns into a steal.

BayStBullies

Burn the Boats!
Apr 1, 2012
@BayStBullies
I sure as hell don't think Pilon is a steal.

Players tend to fall for a reason. I certainly don't think I'm more intelligent than the combined scouting staffs of 30 NHL teams.

Agreed. Picking up a falling player isn't always a sign of being clever; it could also be a sign that you are the least clever in the room. :laugh:

topched

Nov 19, 2008
Toronto, Ontario

Players tend to fall for a reason. I certainly don't think I'm more intelligent than the combined scouting staffs of 30 NHL teams.

Agreed.

Steals happen not because they were rated high by scouting services and fell... mostly happen because other teams had a poor/wrong read. There's a reason theres only a couple in each draft.

burpsalot

Feb 12, 2015
Wow, surprised he was still around. Hofford would know him from the Hill Academy.

7even

Offered and lost
Feb 1, 2012
North Carolina
NHL team: Washington Capitals
NHL player: Alex Ovechkin
Shootout move: "Backhand, top shelf"
Goal celebration: "Hands in the air"
Video game: Far Cry
Movie: American Sniper
TV show: Prison Break
Actor: Megan Fox
Music group: Potap and Nastia
Sport (other than hockey): Soccer
Athlete (non-hockey): Lionel Messi

I like him.

Leafs at Knight

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Mar 4, 2011
London, Ontario

True, could go both ways. Sounds like the him bolting to the KHL and staying in the future was a big part in his falling.

FlareKnight

Jun 26, 2006
Alberta
It is kind of surprising how far he fell.

But it's the last round, take a shot at a guy who tumbled like this and see if it turns out.

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
• Despite missing a month of the 2014-15 season, Korostelev led the Sting in goals (24) and points (53) while playing alongside rookies Pavel Zacha (No. 8 NA Skater) and Jordan Kyrou (eligible for 2016 NHL Draft).

• Korostelev relocated to Canada at age 14 to further his development in hockey, suiting up for the Vaughan Kings (2011-12) and Toronto Jr. Canadiens (2012-13) in the Greater Toronto Hockey League. He then was selected ninth overall by the Sting in the 2013 Ontario Hockey League Priority Selection.

Sarnia's Zacha, Korostelev impress in the OHL

Nikita Korostelev, Sarnia -- The B-rated prospect on NHL Central Scouting's preliminary players to watch list was named the OHL Player of the Week for the period ending Oct. 13 after leading the league with three goals and seven points in two games. Korostelev, a right wing, had two assists in a 3-1 victory against the Saginaw Spirit on Oct. 10, and three goals and a career-high five points in a 9-2 victory against the Windsor Spitfires the next day.

"He has an outstanding wrist shot and is a high-energy guy," Edwards said. "He sure competes hard and gets involved, makes that top line go with Pavel Zacha and Jordan Kyrou. It's a heck of a line and they were good; Nikita has a good skill set."

The 17-year-old native of Moscow leads the Sting with 14 points (seven goals, seven assists) in 10 games is in his second OHL season. Korostelev, chosen in the first round (No. 9) by the Sting in the 2013 OHL draft, had 17 goals and 38 points in 60 games as a rookie last season.

http://www.nhl.com/ice/blogpost.htm?id=32987

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad