Proposal: Leafs-Penguins

Morgs

#16 #34 #44 #88 #91
Jul 12, 2015
London, ON
I just think it's up to the Police to handle this. Also, just like Kane, DeSmith was pretty young when that happened. So odds are he's more mature today.

Okay, and police do handle it and that's why we hear about it.

Have these players on your team all you like, I'd be upset if the Leafs organization (or any of my teams) were willing to just accept these types of people.

FreeBobbyFarnham

Jun 16, 2015
Montreal
Okay, and police do handle it and that's why we hear about it.

Have these players on your team all you like, I'd be upset if the Leafs organization (or any of my teams) were willing to just accept these types of people.
You're entitled to your opinion, but let's keep this thread about what DeSmith brings to table instead of what happened off the ice years ago.

Morgs

#16 #34 #44 #88 #91
Jul 12, 2015
London, ON
Auston Mathews?

Yes, lets pretend taking off your pants and slapping your own ass is the same as punching a cab driver or being accused of rape (Kane), or assaulting and spitting on a girl (DeSmith).

What Matthews did was not ok. It's not a criminal offense and any sane human should be able to see the difference.

ownal

Jan 26, 2019
Pittsburgh
Yes, lets pretend taking off your pants and slapping your own ass is the same as punching a cab driver or being accused of rape (Kane), or assaulting and spitting on a girl (DeSmith).

What Matthews did was not ok. It's not a criminal offense and any sane human should be able to see the difference.

No sane human being would do that. Don't be a hypocrite.

Mickey Marner

Jul 9, 2014
Dystopia
I thought this was in response to the OP's proposal where you're okay with the deal if you swapped Galchenyuk with ZAR. So in effect, you'd be replacing Johnsson's spot in the lineup with ZAR.

It was. Leafs need grit, tenacity and defense. Galcheyuk provides none of that.

In a healthy lineup, ZAR would battle Moore for the 3rd line LW spot, Hyman and Mikheyev are the top two LW, he wouldn't play with Matthews & Nylander.

Morgs

#16 #34 #44 #88 #91
Jul 12, 2015
London, ON
No sane human being would do that. Don't be a hypocrite.

It's hypocritical for me to believe that assault/rape is not the same as a drunk 20 year old slapping his nude ass cheeks? Again, its not appropriate and I'm not defending him for it but theres a gigantic difference between nudity and legitimate criminal acts.

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
It was. Leafs need grit, tenacity and defense. Galcheyuk provides none of that.

In a healthy lineup, ZAR would battle Moore for the 3rd line LW spot, Hyman and Mikheyev are the top two LW, he wouldn't play with Matthews & Nylander.

ZAR provides just good positional defense. He's not really gritty and for a bottom six guy who should be balls to the wall every night to be effective, his tenacity/intensity leaves a lot to be desired.

I think you're expecting a Hyman clone, but in reality it's closer to a Gauthier with better hands around the net.

SEALBound

Fancy Gina Carano
Sponsor
Jun 13, 2010
McCann + DeSmith

For

Johnsson + Bracco

I think this is actually pretty fair value wise but the Penguins are going to say no for a couple reasons:

1. McCann is currently cheaper than Johnsson.
2. McCann can play center and Johnsson can't. Versatility in the lineup is important to us right now.
3. McCann has been doing very well and a was a key player JR brought in last year and the expectation is that he continues to progress.
4. Bracco does little for us right now. I don't know if the swap from a C to W and then adding Bracco without sending another wing is a good idea. I could see something ZAR/Simon + Desmith for Johnsson being workable but not sure the value is there for the Leafs.

With that though, I do commend you on proposing a decently fair trade.

Last edited:
Reactions: DougGilmour93

mydnyte

Sep 8, 2004
Cool story. That doesn't invalidate anything I said, which it's completely true that they've produced very similarly in the last 2 years. McCann being rushed to the NHL is frankly irrelevant from that.
except for the fact, that one has only played 1 season and a few games, not 2 years

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
except for the fact, that one has only played 1 season and a few games, not 2 years

Again, okay? How does that matter at all? Why does Johnsson somehow get extra points for McCann being rushed to the NHL?

In the sample size for which Johnsson has been in the NHL, McCann and Johnsson produced extremely similar numbers. Pointing out that Johnsson hasn't played in the NHL as much as McCann is as relevant as McCann being 1.5 years younger than Johnsson, it doesn't matter in this discussion.

Last edited:

CheckingLineCenter

Aug 10, 2018
Sure. Or let's just not pretend like DeSmith is an option for the Leafs.

I don’t mean to derail the thread, but read up on Desmith’s case. You clearly have no clue what you’re talking about.

He definitely did something wrong, but not what you’re making him out to be. He also was punished, paid for it and hasn’t done anything since. Then took advantage of his second chance. I’m sure you’ve made mistakes.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad