Proposal: Leafs-Penguins

Gfroer

Jan 6, 2019
I don't think the Leafs are keeping Andersen past next year. In that scenario, Murray would make a lot of sense for them. And Nylander makes close to 7M, so odds are Murray gets less than that. Murray is an RFA btw.

I'm guessing Murray's next contract is going to end up being somewhere in the 6-6.5 mil range. Doesn't save them enough or upgrade their team enough to be worth losing Nylander at least in my opinion.

hamzarocks

Jul 22, 2012
Pickering, Ontario
Would pens fans deal

Simon+De Smith+ 2020 3rd/2021 2nd for Johnssson?

I'd rather get a cheaper but lesser player in Simon than Galchenyuk. He will be manageable for future and of the team and isnt a UFA. We downgrade from a young stud like goalie in Jarry to a pure Backup but get a 2nd or 3rd pick. Is thos too much value for the pens to give or too little.

In terms of value I like this deal as it addresses team needs overall AJ is a guy valued pretty highly by the team and signed one good deal. If I was looking for a lure value trade I think I'd deal him for a number 4 defender instead if one was on the market bit this deal helps the team more moving forward

Ashdown2

Aug 19, 2006
Bjugstad has negative value for sure, but I don't think the rest do. Galchenyuk is a UFA and ZAR makes a million bucks.

Even Bjugstad, wait till the off-season and with one year left he'll have more value.

not much teams will be willing to pay anything for a 4mil bjug. i do see a package with picks to a terrible team like detroit just to get him off the books.
you'll be lucky to get a 5th rounder for gally.

i didnt see ZAR in the previous comment , i like that guy he'll be a worth asset on any team

4thline

Jul 18, 2014
Waterloo
Kahun is a definite no, Kahun is basically equal to McCann in my eyes. I'd do ZAR but I figured that Galchenyuk would be more appealing for the Leafs.

While I think Galy has more value (even with the slow start) ZAR is the better fit for the Leafs both needs and cap wise with that extra year at 1m. ZAR Jarry and a 4th/5th for Johnsson I think would be a solid trade both ways

Reactions: Empoleon8771

BackhandToedrag

Oct 25, 2016
2017-2018: 28 points in 68 games
2018-2019: 35 points in 78 games
2019-2020: 17 points in 24 games
Total: 80 points in 170 games, pace of 39 points per 82 games

Swing and a miss. In the last 2 years, Johnsson and McCann are separated by 6 points while they've played nearly the same amount of games and TOI/game. McCann is way better defensively and is also a center, which seems to pretty clearly give him the advantage as far as I can tell.
I like how you just left the first 100ish games of his career off your list so the numbers look better

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
I like how you just left the first 100ish games of his career off your list so the numbers look better

Did you not read the post I was responding to? The person who made the initial claim said "maybe McCann can hit 30 points for the first time in his career". That's a stupid comment because he was on pace for 30 points in 2017-2018, had over 30 points in 2018-2019 and is on pace for way over 30 points this year.

How do McCann's first 100 games matter at all, when the discussion was about McCann hitting 30 points in a season? And even if the discussion wasn't about McCann hitting 30 points in a season, how do McCann's 19 and 20 year old stats reflect what kind of player he is at 23? What McCann did from 2015-2017 means absolutely nothing in this discussion.

mydnyte

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 8, 2004
This thread is comical. The only goalie Toronto has a chance of getting from Pittsburgh is DeSmith.

Jarry was drafted to be the #1. Murray came out of nowhere and they let Flower go. Now Jarry is looking like he is living up to his potential. Neither of these guys are going anywhere for the aforementioned reasons, so just stop.

well then, i guess that means Pitt will once more give an expansion team their #1 goalie and face of the franchise ...this is also a negative in Toronto, as, Seattle will just grab him from whatever team holds his rights

Shrimper

Trick or ruddy treat
Feb 20, 2010
Essex
Don't understand why people are talking about Jarry when he's being groomed to be our #1 should Murray be unable to recover his game.

DeSmith? Sure

Holl available?

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
Don't understand why people are talking about Jarry when he's being groomed to be our #1 should Murray be unable to recover his game.

DeSmith? Sure

Holl available?

Let's be completely real here: there is no way the Penguins are going to move Murray to make Jarry the #1. People talk about it on here, but there's not a chance the Penguins would actually do that unless something crazy happens.

Flying Dego

Apr 30, 2013
not much teams will be willing to pay anything for a 4mil bjug. i do see a package with picks to a terrible team like detroit just to get him off the books.
you'll be lucky to get a 5th rounder for gally.

i didnt see ZAR in the previous comment , i like that guy he'll be a worth asset on any team

Some hot takes here. Since you're so high on ZAR what do you think we could get for him?

Chucky only worth a 5th? That's pretty far off from the truth. There are GMs out there willing to give him a run you can count on that. He's not worth a fortune but probably a 1v1 swap with another UFA is likely.

We won't be paying to get rid of Bjugstad either. Will he be worth much... probably not but certainly not negative. He's a big bodied center, GMs eat that stuff up. We didn't retain on Gudbranson who's on a similar deal...got minimal value but still...let that sink in.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
Would pens fans deal

Simon+De Smith+ 2020 3rd/2021 2nd for Johnssson?

I'd rather get a cheaper but lesser player in Simon than Galchenyuk. He will be manageable for future and of the team and isnt a UFA. We downgrade from a young stud like goalie in Jarry to a pure Backup but get a 2nd or 3rd pick. Is thos too much value for the pens to give or too little.

In terms of value I like this deal as it addresses team needs overall AJ is a guy valued pretty highly by the team and signed one good deal. If I was looking for a lure value trade I think I'd deal him for a number 4 defender instead if one was on the market bit this deal helps the team more moving forward

Yes, but the cap doesn’t work.

Morgs

#16 #34 #44 #88 #91
Jul 12, 2015
London, ON
I'd do Jarry + Galch for Johnsson.

DeSmith is tough because I doubt they'd be open to his as the goalie return for a Johnsson or Kapanen, and even at his 1.25 that's high enough to force the Leafs down to a 20 man roster when Marner is healthy without money moving out. I think they would have claimed him when he was on waivers otherwise.

Jarry is the guy I'd be interested in. Wouldn't make DeSmith or a UFA forward the center for a Johnsson or Kap trade.

Plus DeSmith assaulted a girl and spit on her face in college.

Morgs

#16 #34 #44 #88 #91
Jul 12, 2015
London, ON

DeSmith? Sure

Holl available?

Holl is not available without a significant overpayment. He's actually looking ridiculously good (like easily top-4 potential) this season without Babcock benching him. He's cheap, controllable, and necessary with us losing potentially two top-4 defenseman (Muzzin/Barrie) at the end of the year and Ceci.

mydnyte

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 8, 2004
2017-2018: 28 points in 68 games
2018-2019: 35 points in 78 games
2019-2020: 17 points in 24 games
Total: 80 points in 170 games, pace of 39 points per 82 games

Swing and a miss. In the last 2 years, Johnsson and McCann are separated by 6 points while they've played nearly the same amount of games and TOI/game. McCann is way better defensively and is also a center, which seems to pretty clearly give him the advantage as far as I can tell.
one player has 269 games played, the other 110 ...Johnsson was a rookie last year, McCann is on season 5, with a career high in goals and points both lower than Johnnson's rookie season where he played up and down the lineup all year.

mydnyte

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 8, 2004
Counter:

Desmith + Galchenyuk (with retaining) for Kapanen

wouldnt work for the Leafs roster... we'd be flipping Johnsson because he's the more expensive. Kap is well slotted as the 3rd line RWer

Riptide

Dec 29, 2011
Yukon
I’d do this as the Leafs, creative proposal.

What has been so bad about Galchenyuk this year? Not meshing or poor effort?

Not meshing. The effort is there. He's backchecking, skating and playing in gritty area's - he's just not getting results (aka goals). Can he play better? Sure - but when I'm watching the games I don't see him and ever bitch about him being lazy or whatnot. Which considering some of the comments MTL and ARI fans made is a pleasant surprise. It's just disappointing that things haven't worked out for him here.

Last edited:

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
one player has 269 games played, the other 110 ...Johnsson was a rookie last year, McCann is on season 5, with a career high in goals and points both lower than Johnnson's rookie season where he played up and down the lineup all year.

Cool story. That doesn't invalidate anything I said, which it's completely true that they've produced very similarly in the last 2 years. McCann being rushed to the NHL is frankly irrelevant from that.

Morgs

#16 #34 #44 #88 #91
Jul 12, 2015
London, ON
Kane beat up a cab driver, what's your point?

That these players should actually be punished for their actions. I'm all for my team to be like Rogers (Blue Jays) trading Roberto Osuna the second they realized he actually did what he did, regardless of being guilty in court.

No desire for a player like that on the Leafs. Whether it's a superstar like Kane or a nobody like DeSmith there should be no place for that in the league.

FreeBobbyFarnham

Jun 16, 2015
Montreal
That these players should actually be punished for their actions. I'm all for my team to be like Rogers (Blue Jays) trading Roberto Osuna the second they realized he actually did what he did, regardless of being guilty in court.

No desire for a player like that on the Leafs. Whether it's a superstar like Kane or a nobody like DeSmith there should be no place for that in the league.
I just think it's up to the Police to handle this. Also just like Kane, DeSmith was pretty young when that happened. So odds are he's more mature today.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad