Proposal: Leafs - Penguins

DANTHEMAN1967

Aug 10, 2016
TORONTO
Boxak 50% retained + Marincin (to maintain Penguin's defensive depth) + 2018 2nd round pick

PITTSBUGH
Cole, 2018 1st round pick

Brobust

Sep 29, 2017
I don't think Ian Cole really improves much for Toronto's defence.

As much criticism Bozak has taken, Toronto still has no replacement for him.

This doesn't help Toronto at all. I would have no problem if the leafs gave them McBackup for free.

TheScandal89

Jun 26, 2016
Leafs would need to acquire a 3rd/2nd line centre after but this is probably a fair deal.

ECanuck

Jan 7, 2010
Hamilton
As someone who is married to a Leafs fan, and watches plenty of both teams, I can tell you that Cole would absolutely help the Leafs.

People are avoiding the real issue here, and that is Bozak is bad defensively, doesn't kill penalties, and his offensive game is pretty ass this season. Kind of funny no Leafs fans are mentioning this... hmmm...

Bozak for Cole helps the Leafs no doubt at all, but a downtrending Bozak could end up being a liability for the Pens.

The Pens could end up moving a key piece from their last two playoff off runs, and getting back magic beans.

Yeah, kind of like our other hot dog fella who came up big in the playoffs.

Habs10025

Sep 28, 2017
Pittsburgh have 14 games in the next 4 weeks Murray should be back by then making a panic move would be a mistake . Jarry can carry the load he's as good if not better than any goalie available in a trade.. Ian Cole is underrated needs to remain a Pittsburgh Penguin

Last edited:

boredmale

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 13, 2005
Leafs would need to acquire a 3rd/2nd line centre after but this is probably a fair deal.

Do Leafs ever plan on using Nylander at Center? I always invisioned he would be a winger in this league but I keep hearing Center is in the future

TML1967

Jul 20, 2010
TORONTO
Boxak 50% retained + Marincin (to maintain Penguin's defensive depth) + 2018 2nd round pick

PITTSBUGH

This only makes sense if you think that you can flip Pits 1st for a better third line C than Bozak.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
Just have it be simple, have it be Cole and a draft pick for Bozak, with the Leafs retaining the salary they need to on Bozak to make it work with the cap. No need to make it more complex than that. The Penguins get a better offensive 3C, the Leafs get a big upgrade on the bottom pair. Easy as that.

Reactions: Raymoondo

Liferleafer

TSN Scrum Lurker
Feb 9, 2011
Just have it be simple, have it be Cole and a draft pick for Bozak, with the Leafs retaining the salary they need to on Bozak to make it work with the cap. No need to make it more complex than that. The Penguins get a better offensive 3C, the Leafs get a big upgrade on the bottom pair. Easy as that.
So we are back to Cole+2nd for Bozak@50%?

OCPenguin

Jan 22, 2013
TORONTO

PITTSBUGH

Pittsburgh passes. There is no reason to give up a first as well as Cole for another rental in Bozak; a garbage depth Dman in Marincin and a mid second.

OCPenguin

Jan 22, 2013
Yes, in terms of you need to pay more this time. Seriously!

Pay more for a rental who will be a 3C (playing on the fourth line in Toronto) and probably not play with the guy who made him good in Kessel?

Liferleafer

TSN Scrum Lurker
Feb 9, 2011
Pay more for a rental who will be a 3C (playing on the fourth line in Toronto) and probably not play with the guy who made him good in Kessel?
Nope...that would be Moore. But, i agree a 1st isn't fair...Bozak for Cole and a 2nd.

TML1967

Jul 20, 2010
Pittsburgh passes. There is no reason to give up a first as well as Cole for another rental in Bozak; a garbage depth Dman in Marincin and a mid second.

Dont disagree that it wont happen, but wish people would start looking at the picks going both ways in there likely end spot. I do a fair bit of probability in my day job, and we try to use assumed and presumed value as much as possible.

In this scenario Leafs get a 1st, and Pit gets a second, saying you're giving up a 1st should probably more be thought as downgrading to a second from a first OR downgrading 25 or so spots.

Pick value here is likely pick#25-31 (Pit finishes top 5) for pick number #50-55 (Leafs finish around 5-10 overall standings-wise, this is where the assumption is neede)

So I wonder if people view it differently if the deal read:

TORONTO
Bozak @ 50% retained + Marincin + 53rd pick in 2018 for

PITTSBUGH
Cole + 27th pick in 2018

(Not saying the value makes this deal worthwhile, just that writing it out like this I think is the better way to gauge value)

----
In a more extreme example, Pit trading their 1st and a player for Buffalos 2nd and a player, should probably be seen as downgrading 1-10 spots.

Knies iT

Mar 6, 2015
I've said roughly this a few times already. I'd be on board. Would rather have Pickard though. So remove the 2nd if it's McE. Add it if it's Pickard.
No. The point of moving McElhinney is to create a spot for one of the Marlie goalies, who are both too good for the AHL at this point. The team isn't going to waive McElhinney after giving him a 2 year deal. Trading him means Sparks/Pickard can take 90% of the starts with the Marlies, while the other backs-up Andersen (preferably Pickard as he's older and has more NHL experience).

Bozak for Cole and a 2nd isn't all that appealing anyway. There's only room for Cole on the bottom pair and he would have to play his off side. Bozak on his own could return 2x 2nd rounders at a minimum (look at Hanzal last year, Eller before that, etc.), and considering the Leafs have a ton of bottom pair options at this point, the futures option looks better.

ImpartialNHLfan

Oct 26, 2011
Parts Unknown
Do Leafs ever plan on using Nylander at Center? I always invisioned he would be a winger in this league but I keep hearing Center is in the future
I think Babcock is waiting out for Nylanders new contract to kick in before he moves him to C. But Willie is taking a lot of faceoffs.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad