Proposal: Leafs - Penguins

Halla

Jan 28, 2016
Cole was playing just under 19 minutes a night in the playoffs for the cup winners last postseason and Pickard cleared waivers less than 2 months ago...

But I guess with the Leafs being desperate for defense it wouldn't make sense to trade a 3rd (4th?) string goalie who has never played a single game for them to try and patch that hole.

He played 19 mins a night on a d that was ravaged by injuries. Hainsey played more
Now cole is a 16min a night guy. the leafs have enough of those types (Borgman,Carrick,Polak)
plus Rosen,Marincin and prospects in the AHL

Halla

Jan 28, 2016
[

I don't even...I mean...what? What is this? Leafs LOAN a player to the Pens...and get #4 dman back?

Think this through and explain your rational. I mean, you can't first of all according to league rules...but explain why you believe this is something both teams would want to do.

Yup.

Maybe also explain how is cole a #4 dman?
He plays 16mins per night, 6th among penguins dmen.
Less than 14mins/night ES, 7th among pens dmen

and no, he wouldnt be a top 4 on the leafs

Halla

Jan 28, 2016
I've said roughly this a few times already. I'd be on board. Would rather have Pickard though. So remove the 2nd if it's McE. Add it if it's Pickard.
hard pass. toronto isnt gifting the pens a solution to their 3C problems and reuniting Bozak and Kessel for another bottom pairing dman and a 4th

Advanced stats

May 26, 2010
Cole was playing just under 19 minutes a night in the playoffs for the cup winners last postseason and Pickard cleared waivers less than 2 months ago...

But I guess with the Leafs being desperate for defense it wouldn't make sense to trade a 3rd (4th?) string goalie who has never played a single game for them to try and patch that hole.
Definitely not desperate for another bottom pairing overpaid defenseman.

sanfordn

Oct 14, 2017
Value is solid, but why do we want Cole?

Is he better than I think he is...not a pens follower.

Mr Jiggyfly

Jan 29, 2004
Value is solid, but why do we want Cole?

Is he better than I think he is...not a pens follower.

As someone who is married to a Leafs fan, and watches plenty of both teams, I can tell you that Cole would absolutely help the Leafs.

People are avoiding the real issue here, and that is Bozak is bad defensively, doesn't kill penalties, and his offensive game is pretty ass this season. Kind of funny no Leafs fans are mentioning this... hmmm...

Bozak for Cole helps the Leafs no doubt at all, but a downtrending Bozak could end up being a liability for the Pens.

The Pens could end up moving a key piece from their last two playoff off runs, and getting back magic beans.

cannucky

Aug 18, 2011
No one is mentioning it because it's not the issue for the Pens the issue is getting Kessel going again and they are hoping reuniting him with his Bozie will spark something , the Magic Beans comment works both ways on this deal which probably why it hasn't happened and why everybody is talking about what the adds will be to make it happen . I'm still at Bozak and Hymen or Gautier for Cole and Sheary , the Leafs could always throw in a 4 week loaner goalie stipulating of course he doesn't see the ice against us and then why would he eh , we already have 1 goalie out on loan to Vegas so it's not like it's completely unheard of .

ps The big up for me on this deal is getting rid of Hymen so if the Pens wanted Hymen plus a pic plus a 4 week loaner for Cole I would jump on that as well but I really don't see the great reward in getting Cole we really need someone better to be honest .

sanfordn

Oct 14, 2017
As someone who is married to a Leafs fan, and watches plenty of both teams, I can tell you that Cole would absolutely help the Leafs.

People are avoiding the real issue here, and that is Bozak is bad defensively, doesn't kill penalties, and his offensive game is pretty ass this season. Kind of funny no Leafs fans are mentioning this... hmmm...

Bozak for Cole helps the Leafs no doubt at all, but a downtrending Bozak could end up being a liability for the Pens.

The Pens could end up moving a key piece from their last two playoff off runs, and getting back magic beans.

Pens getting Bozak is a bit of a gamble...you could get stressed out, demotivated, thinking about a contract Bozie, where he can’t score, take a pass, or win a face off.

You could get better than average face offs, chemistry with Phil, decent speed Bozak too.

Who knows what Bozak really is right now.

orby

Jun 16, 2013
Erie, PA
www.youtube.com
No one is mentioning it because it's not the issue for the Pens the issue is getting Kessel going again and they are hoping reuniting him with his Bozie will spark something

What are you talking about? Kessel is top 5 in the entire league in points right now. They don't need to spark him.

SEALBound

Fancy Gina Carano
Sponsor
Jun 13, 2010
hard pass. toronto isnt gifting the pens a solution to their 3C problems and reuniting Bozak and Kessel for another bottom pairing dman and a 4th

...you're doing us a favor by sending us your struggling 4C for a solid playoff performing #4/5? m'kay. Oh and we get your garbage back up too, eh? We damn...my apologies your royal Leafy magesty. How could us prole pens fans have spoken so out of line...

Mr Jiggyfly

Jan 29, 2004
No one is mentioning it because it's not the issue for the Pens the issue is getting Kessel going again and they are hoping reuniting him with his Bozie will spark something , the Magic Beans comment works both ways on this deal which probably why it hasn't happened and why everybody is talking about what the adds will be to make it happen . I'm still at Bozak and Hymen or Gautier for Cole and Sheary , the Leafs could always throw in a 4 week loaner goalie stipulating of course he doesn't see the ice against us and then why would he eh , we already have 1 goalie out on loan to Vegas so it's not like it's completely unheard of .

ps The big up for me on this deal is getting rid of Hymen so if the Pens wanted Hymen plus a pic plus a 4 week loaner for Cole I would jump on that as well but I really don't see the great reward in getting Cole we really need someone better to be honest .

Get Kessel going again? He's fourth or fifth in the league in scoring and has been the Pens only dominant player all season.

Kessel doesn't need Bozak, at all.

Cole is a proven warrior on the blueline that has been a major part of winning back to back cups.

Bozak is a downtrending, defensive liability that is now in Babs doghouse.

Let's put all the cards on the table here and be genuine about Bozak folks.

Nakawick

Minty Fresh
Apr 5, 2010
The Range
This reuniting Bozak and Kessel nonsense needs to stop. Their numbers are not correlated. This ain't a romance novel industry. Bozak is softer than fresh stool. He isn't taking on tough dzone assignments, pking, dropping down to block shots.

CantLoseWithMatthews

Sep 28, 2015
Aaltonen or Nylander would fit into the role of offensive sheltered 3C on the Leafs pretty nicely. I like this deal. The only thing is I don't think Cole really fits on the Leafs

cannucky

Aug 18, 2011
This reuniting Bozak and Kessel nonsense needs to stop. Their numbers are not correlated. This ain't a romance novel industry. Bozak is softer than fresh stool. He isn't taking on tough dzone assignments, pking, dropping down to block shots.
Hey when your trying to flip a lemon you don't show the rust holes do you ? Cole's no fresh Cadillac either tho eh ? There is really no reason for either side to do this deal but thats what the Hf trade forum is -glorified mental masturbation .

Nakawick

Minty Fresh
Apr 5, 2010
The Range
Hey when your trying to flip a lemon you don't show the rust holes do you ? Cole's no fresh Cadillac either tho eh ? There is really no reason for either side to do this deal but thats what the Hf trade forum is -glorified mental *********ion .
Potentially moving Cole to address a need is not outrageous. Cole is a UFA and the Pens won't likely be able to match what he gets on the open market. But as has been said, Cole won't be getting moved for the sake of being moved. I am hesitant to move him. Cole is a guy you go to war with and win with. Its a proven fact, twice.

LeafChief

Matthew Knies Enthusiast
Mar 5, 2013
Scarborough

I'd rather patch the whole with something of value.

Thank you for your concern.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
Cole played 21 minutes a night in a top-4 role last year and excelled in that role, and then followed it up with playing 19 minutes a night and doing well in the playoffs. I feel like teams may look at his play last year and conclude he's a top-4 defenseman stuck in a numbers game in Pittsburgh, because he performed very well in a top-4 role last year.

I have some questions with the deal though, mainly that I'm iffy on Bozak after thinking about him some more. I'd rather try and talk to Vegas about getting Eakin for an extended Cole. I don't know if Cole is enough of an upgrade on Hainsey for the Leafs to make this kind of move, either. I think both are very comparable players.

Bozak and I'm guessing Hyman or Gathier for Cole and Sheary is an insanely bad deal for Pittsburgh. But seeing how you said yesterday that Bozak should be the centerpiece for Seth Jones, I'm not sure how much I trust your player valuation talents.

Halla

Jan 28, 2016
...you're doing us a favor by sending us your struggling 4C for a solid playoff performing #4/5? m'kay. Oh and we get your garbage back up too, eh? We damn...my apologies your royal Leafy magesty. How could us prole pens fans have spoken so out of line...

yeah how many 4C are coming off 55pt season?

keep trying to sping your dman that is 7th in ice time at ES as a top 4 dman, he isnt.
Take out Letang,Dumoulin, and a couple other guys and year he will play in the top 4.

Cole getting healthy scratch doesnt return bozak without a significant add.
most pens fans are happy to throw in a 2nd as well but you got greedy. so pass

Riptide

Dec 29, 2011
Yukon
He played 19 mins a night on a d that was ravaged by injuries. Hainsey played more
Now cole is a 16min a night guy. the leafs have enough of those types (Borgman,Carrick,Polak)
plus Rosen,Marincin and prospects in the AHL

LOL at Cole being compared to Polak. :laugh: :biglaugh:

Riptide

Dec 29, 2011
Yukon

Oh look another poster who obviously doesn't have a clue.

I wasn't aware that we needed "to get Kessel going again". I mean he's only the Pens leading scorer, 5th in the NHL in points, and has points in 4 straight games (3g/8pts), and has 9g/23pts in his last 17 games. But I'm sure if that's not good enough, Bozak is absolutely the answer to why Kessel "isn't going". LOL. :shakehead

HoweHullOrr

Oct 3, 2013
He played 19 mins a night on a d that was ravaged by injuries. Hainsey played more.

Now cole is a 16min a night guy. the leafs have enough of those types (Borgman,Carrick, Polak) plus Rosen, Marincin and prospects in the AHL

If the Leafs had confidence that one of those players could step and take a regular spot in the lineup, they would be in the lineup now. A slot has been wide open for someone to step up and grab for close to 2 years now for many that you've listed. Simultaneously, we have been looking for another defender to stabilize/upgrade our blueline for the last year or two.

Something isn't adding up here.

Why do we keep throwing out trade proposals for defenders ad-nauseaum and have had trade threads for Bozak for the last 2 years then?

Namikaze Minato

Apr 30, 2009
Beautiful B.C.
At least Toronto's. But hey if he's doing so well there, feel free to keep him. But then if that was true, he probably wouldn't be on the 4th line :laugh:
He’s not on the fourth line. Unless you’re suggesting that Moore Martin and nylander was our second line and Bozie JVR and Marner was our fourth?

Why is it so upsetting that a 50 point centre is suggested to worth more than your bottom pairing dman? Just because we got guys that passed him on the depth chart doesn’t mean he’s not still going to score ~ 50-55 points when healthy.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad