Pre-Game Talk: Leafs @ Ottawa, HNIC. Saturday Oct. 21st (Trap?)

Status
Not open for further replies.

MapleLeafs77

Oct 20, 2017
Ugh I hate how Ottawa plays.....boring slow trap hockey. Watching them last year especially in the playoffs was awful against the pens.

Gonna be a tough game for us.

Btw as much as it would be awesome to have leivo and marner on the 4th line.....martin is needed. We need that protection for our skilled young guys. Doesnt matter if the team we play against is not tough.....one person could cheapshot our young guys. I would rather our young guys be safe and play confident and dominate then have 4 scoring lines.

BodaciousBeefBazooka

Go Leafs Go
Apr 4, 2013
Toronto
Cant stand Ottawa. Then again I dislike all other Canadian teams as well. Also Guy Boucher looks like a typical scumball that will implement a trap system. Looks like a bond villain.

Suntouchable13

Dec 20, 2003
Toronto, ON
Ugh I hate how Ottawa plays.....boring slow trap hockey. Watching them last year especially in the playoffs was awful against the pens.

Gonna be a tough game for us.

Btw as much as it would be awesome to have leivo and marner on the 4th line.....martin is needed. We need that protection for our skilled young guys. Doesnt matter if the team we play against is not tough.....one person could cheapshot our young guys. I would rather our young guys be safe and play confident and dominate then have 4 scoring lines.

Meh, I don't think anybody is afraid of Martin. Players have been cheapshotted before with tough guys who are much scarier than Martin on their team. Whatever, I ain't going to argue too much about it. They like him, so be it.

MapleLeafs77

Oct 20, 2017
Meh, I don't think anybody is afraid of Martin. Players have been cheapshotted before with tough guys who are much scarier than Martin on their team. Whatever, I ain't going to argue too much about it. They like him, so be it.

Your right but I would rather have some toughness in our lineup. Plus i think the team loves him. Seems like our young players really get along with him.

But yeah a fourth line of leivo and marner would be great.

CantLoseWithMatthews

Sep 28, 2015
He is just there to scare the opposition if they attempt to take a run at one of our best players, Martin will take a run at one of their best players. But otherwise, he does not do **** out there. When was the last time he threw a big hit? Or even had a meaningful fight? The only reason he is there is just to keep the opposition honest.
But does it really work that way? If someone lays a huge dirty hit on one of our young guys they'll be ejected and won't have to see Martin

Pi

Nov 16, 2010
Toronto
Hope the Leafs put another goalie out of their misery.

I wonder if goalies have sleepless nights before they face the Leafs. Howard was having nightmares on the bench after he got pulled.

crump

~ ~ (ړײ) ~ ~
Feb 26, 2004
Ontariariario
Sens are coming off a couple of tight losses. No need to waste an opportunity to drive self doubt and a losing mentality deep into their psyche.

Reactions: OddyOh

dimi78

Aug 9, 2008
But does it really work that way? If someone lays a huge dirty hit on one of our young guys they'll be ejected and won't have to see Martin
I think the whole theory of the police men is perceived wrong. It's not that it's about keeping the opposition honest but more to do in house that the players will feel 6" taller that they have Martin there thus be more confident.

Anyway I also think Martin is a better player as an individual than most would agree with. He's not just a typical goon. He can play the game at the NHL level with strengths as a forchecker, and provide much needed size & grit attributes to the team.

I would be more concerned with the revolving door of linemates he gets to play with than Martin himself. The only constant the 4th line has had since he's signed with the Leafs is him. Tough to find chemistry with a revolving door of line mates. On NYI he was part of the best 4th line in hockey. A big reason why that line was able to be so effective was that they stayed together.

I have a lot of time for the Mat Martin's, Leo Komorov's and Zach Hyman's of the game. These guys are glue guys that just flat out execute structure shift in and shift out. Not all role players are equals. The Leafs could use one more in replace of he who should remain nameless ;)

Reactions: TMLeafs17

MJ65

Jul 12, 2009
Toronto
This is going to be a good contest. Ottawa has lost 2 in a row, started their western swing on a high note and demolished both Flames and the Oilers. After losing against Canucks and the last one in OT against Devils they are come out hungry looking for a "W"

Ottawa is a very disciplined and play a very structured game, Karlson is one of the best in the league no question about it. We have to work hard like any other game in order to secure 2 points

4evaBlue

Bottle of Lightning
Jan 9, 2011
The game plan should be pretty simple. Utilize our speed to draw penalties and capitalize on the PPs. I believe most of our lines can catch one of their defenders cemented to the ice.

Kadri and Komarov need to be in Karlsson's grill all night, and Zaisev / Hainsey need to keep doing what they're doing. The rest will sort itself out.

as Pure as Evil

Sep 18, 2011
Hell, Alberta
all I can say is wow, I just looked at our face off stats.

cant remember a leaf team that could lead the league in f/o %

as for the game. its another trap game like the jersey one. If we come to play, we will be successful.

first game of the year against them. I kind of want them to do what philly did to tampa way back

Narow

Nov 11, 2016
Eventually leafs will hit a couple of rough patches this season, however it wont start with ottawa! Leafs got this one.

MapleLeafs77

Oct 20, 2017
Gonna be the toughest game. Ottawa is basically made to play against high octane teams and shut them down and bore them to death.

Hoping for the best. Would love to keep piling up the points.

GO LEAFS GO

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad