Pre-Game Talk: Leafs @ Ottawa, HNIC. Saturday Oct. 21st (Trap?)

Status
Not open for further replies.

1specter

Sep 27, 2016
Not a guy who follows the stats much, but you make some interesting points. But I also think by that logic, if they have for the most part just gotten 'lucky' they should regress considerably this year (just like Col, Cal and Tor the following years) and their off to a 3-1-2 start (3-0-2 without their best player and sweeping their recent road trip), so lets see, you may be right ultimately - I certainly hope so, I can't stand that team.
Yeah I mean it can take some time. After making the playoffs in 2013, the Leafs started the season 10-1 I believe and this entire board (including me) were denying the numbers even though we were getting dominated in shots every single game. I would feel pretty comfortable projecting the Sens to be out of the picture by the 60 game mark or so but we'll see. It's possible Anderson just continues to play out of his mind and carries them all the way. He's not Carey Price or Bobrovsky level though.

Man Bear Pig

Aug 10, 2008
Earth
When you have the speed the Leafs do(dump and chase) and guys like Nylander and Matthews who's zone entrances are among the best, the trap may not work as well against us. Traps can be beaten, I've never understood why people get so hung up on them. Many, many NHL teams use some variation of it when they're leading in the third period.

Man Bear Pig

Aug 10, 2008
Earth
We're 10 points ahead of Edmonton 7 games in. Who saw that coming?
But...but I thought the Oilers were this elite, unstoppable force this year? People drank the kool aid with that team. They have some major issues with that roster. An overrated defense and zero depth up front. Mcdavid needs to go hero every night for them to win.

rent free

Apr 6, 2015
best offensive team vs best defensive team

the unstoppable force vs the immovable object

CantLoseWithMatthews

Sep 28, 2015
But...but I thought the Oilers were this elite, unstoppable force this year? People drank the kool aid with that team. They have some major issues with that roster. An overrated defense and zero depth up front. Mcdavid needs to go hero every night for them to win.
Yeah they're not a well constructed team and their window to compete might close before it even opens with how bad they've managed the cap

1specter

Sep 27, 2016
McDavid played 26 minutes the other night. The last 4 games, he has averaged about 23 minutes. McClellan is going to run him into the ground.

Daisy Jane

everything is gonna be okay!
Jul 2, 2009
McDavid played 26 minutes the other night. The last 4 games, he has averaged about 23 minutes. McClellan is going to run him into the ground.

i remember last year when we were playing them, and Babcock said that (i mean not as bluntly), and everyone was like how could Babs say that blah blah but it's true. 24 minutes a game? why? esp if you want a deep playoff run.

Matty gets what? 18?

Reactions: 1specter

diceman934

Help is on the way.
Jul 31, 2010
NHL player factory
The trap is only effective against a north south team. If you watched last night game Detroit was playing a trapper and even though we did not play well for the most part we created chances with stretch passes forcing the trap past center ice as well as a lot more east west passes opening up the trap. We can also dump and chase creating foot races for the puck and make their D turn and go back for the puck, this will cause their D to adjust by protecting the ice behind them more and allow us to carry to puck with speed through the Netrual zone.

Walshy7

Sep 18, 2016
Toronto
i remember last year when we were playing them, and Babcock said that (i mean not as bluntly), and everyone was like how could Babs say that blah blah but it's true. 24 minutes a game? why? esp if you want a deep playoff run.

Matty gets what? 18?

average toi 17:47 this season good memory there. McDavid is 22:37 almost 6 mins more per game for McDavid. Makes what Matthews does with his limited ice time even more impressive

Brobust

Sep 29, 2017
Ottawa makes me nervous. I think Phaneuf did a good job defending Matthews last season.

leafsfan1234

Jun 18, 2016
So I noticed Hainsey and Zaitsev are playing an absurd on the penalty kill so far, an sustainable amount in my opinion. Is Babcock planning to slowly ease Borgman or Rosen into the role here or what?

Brobust

Sep 29, 2017
Matthews got 6 goals against Ottawa last year (I think). 4 in one game obviously but still 6 against one team in a season

They matched him against Karlsson in game 1. Karlsson just doesn't have the physicality to handle Matthews.

It's guys like Weber and Phaneuf who are actually semi effective against him. I don't think anyone can really stop him though.

Walshy7

Sep 18, 2016
Toronto
They matched him against Karlsson in game 1. Karlsson just doesn't have the physicality to handle Matthews.

It's guys like Weber and Phaneuf who are actually semi effective against him. I don't think anyone can really stop him though.

yeah I do remember Karlsson there in the 1st game, you might be onto something here

rent free

Apr 6, 2015
So I noticed Hainsey and Zaitsev are playing an absurd on the penalty kill so far, an sustainable amount in my opinion. Is Babcock planning to slowly ease Borgman or Rosen into the role here or what?
probably not until next year. i think they should be given more es time so it limits the other defenders minutes

Kiwi

Mar 5, 2016
The Naki
average toi 17:47 this season good memory there. McDavid is 22:37 almost 6 mins more per game for McDavid. Makes what Matthews does with his limited ice time even more impressive

There running that kid into the ground, not surprising though there offensive depth is thin

Someone on the bottom pair needs to step up, I'd be tempted to give Carrick a try since he has some experience in the NHL

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad