Pre-Game Talk: Leafs @ Ottawa, HNIC. Saturday Oct. 21st (Trap?)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Man Bear Pig

Aug 10, 2008
Earth
Yeah they're not a well constructed team and their window to compete might close before it even opens with how bad they've managed the cap
I don't think Oilers fans realize how bad of a GM Chiarelli really is. He made some awful deals in Boston and isn't great with the cap, at all. He was gifted players like Seguin and Hamilton and made a mess of it. Watch the Seguin trade video behind the scenes. It's amazing how desperate he was to get rid of such an elite young player. I'm sure it was the same thing when he dealt Hall.

CantLoseWithMatthews

Sep 28, 2015
I don't think Oilers fans realize how bad of a GM Chiarelli really is. He made some awful deals in Boston and isn't great with the cap, at all. He was gifted players like Seguin and Hamilton and made a mess of it. Watch the Seguin trade video behind the scenes. It's amazing how desperate he was to get rid of such an elite young player. I'm sure it was the same thing when he dealt Hall.
I know. he's been completely terrible to be honest
People think the Leafs are gonna run into cap trouble because we have so many good young players, but I am not worried at all. It's the terrible contracts that lead to cap hell like Lucic and Russell that we don't have to worry about

Apotheosis

Mar 27, 2014
Toronto, Ontario
I think he's well poised to keep his play up and hit 100 because he's so much less relied upon than other stars. He gets like 6 minutes less average ice time than McDavid, and that gives me the feeling he's gonna be relatively well rested all year. I see 55 goals, 45 assists or somewhere in that ball park

Yeah, I predictd 50-50 but wouldn't be surprised with what you said. Looks like he's been getting more time later in games so his ice time will only go up. I can't see him going more than two games without a point this season tbh.

Man Bear Pig

Aug 10, 2008
Earth
I know. he's been completely terrible to be honest
People think the Leafs are gonna run into cap trouble because we have so many good young players, but I am not worried at all. It's the terrible contracts that lead to cap hell like Lucic and Russell that we don't have to worry about
The Lucic deal was laughable from day one. Lucic is the last player you throw term at. Those players arent exactly known for aging well. But that seems to be Chiarelli in a nutshell, he always seems to be looking at the short term, never down the road. Burke was the same way as was Nonis. Blunder after blunder and never concerned about the long term consequences of dealing high picks and signing free agents to term contracts without hesitation as a bandaid solution. It's a miracle what Shanahan and Lou have done with Burke and Nonis' mess.

Reactions: canadon

The Examiner

Jun 24, 2013
Ottawa has a clear cut game plan...and everyone is dialed in. Ontop of that their big d man is back.

This is going to be a tough game for our boys.

How to solve the trap? Speed is my guess. Cause as many turn overs in the neutral zone....play dump and chase and screen the goalie while going for a ton of point shots.

Last edited:
Reactions: Weardown

Daisy Jane

everything is gonna be okay!
Jul 2, 2009

I remember when he was available and people were like we want him and I was like why? He. is. horrid.

thewave

Jun 17, 2011
Anyone else just secretly waiting to see how long the Sat Oct 19 error stays? Anyone now upset that I mentioned it?

fahad203

Oct 3, 2009
I like Martin, but while Marner is on the 4th line, it'd be nice if Babs through Leivo a bone and put him in for Martin.

I think Marner and Leivo could work pretty well together actually. Leivo/Moore/Marner would be a strong 3rd line on most teams.

Babcock has a lot of good qualities in him but he doesn't like being told what to do. The more the fan base and media try to influence him, the more he'll go against it. Dan Cleary was his pet back in Detroit, despite of the fact that fans wanted him out of that team for so long

He now has Hyman as his Cleary. If he puts Leivo in with the first line or 4th with skilled players, and lets say he does really well, then media is going to ask more questions. He will not put himself in that position

It's hard to judge a coach when his team is winning. Jose Mourinho makes a lot of questionable decisions with his players, but he always gets top teams and always gets tier 1 players.

But then again, maybe we overrate our players. How's Corrado doing? not really that well. Same with Percy, we thought he was a sure NHLer and needed an opportunity.

Liferleafer

TSN Scrum Lurker
Feb 9, 2011
Edit

Copy the image address of the picture you want to post by right clicking the picture and copying the image address and then

paste the link between two texts called img and /img in square brackets.

[ img ] [ /img ]

disregard the spaces inside the square brackets
What about youtube vids? The youtube tags aren't here anymore....

Drytoast

Sep 27, 2017
I like Martin, but while Marner is on the 4th line, it'd be nice if Babs through Leivo a bone and put him in for Martin.

I think Marner and Leivo could work pretty well together actually. Leivo/Moore/Marner would be a strong 3rd line on most teams.

Martin is the police you want on the ice should anyone take a run at any of our kids.

We need his presence always as a means to help protect all our talent.

Barilko14

Jul 5, 2006
Renfrew, ON
Martin is the police you want on the ice should anyone take a run at any of our kids.

We need his presence always as a means to help protect all our talent.

I know what Martin is, but the game has gotten to the point that "Martin's" aren't necessary each and every game.

For example if he broke a finger in a fight, would we instantly trade for a tough guy, or would we give him a few weeks to heal and put Leivo in.

I went to bat for Martin several times on these boards last year, but when we are playing a team that's not overly physical, there really isn't any harm in getting Leivo into a couple of games.

Suntouchable13

Dec 20, 2003
Toronto, ON
I know what Martin is, but the game has gotten to the point that "Martin's" aren't necessary each and every game.

For example if he broke a finger in a fight, would we instantly trade for a tough guy, or would we give him a few weeks to heal and put Leivo in.

He is just there to scare the opposition if they attempt to take a run at one of our best players, Martin will take a run at one of their best players. But otherwise, he does not do shit out there. When was the last time he threw a big hit? Or even had a meaningful fight? The only reason he is there is just to keep the opposition honest.

PromisedLand

I need more FOOD
Dec 3, 2016
Hogwarts
This should be a physical hockey game.

The way Montreal then Washington, how they played Toronto, kind of indicates how many teams will try to do what to Toronto, which is foremost try to frustrate the attack before it gets going.

That Montreal game last week, was tough to watch, because the whole game was played along the boards in a phone booth. Other than the power play goal, the other two Montreal goals were from plays that came from the boards. Twice Marner did not make the defensive play, and now he's 4th line, and probably not to come off it anything soon, other than for the power play. Just leave him there.

Toronto may actually have a team that can play well along the boards, in the Hyman-Matthews-Nylander line and the Komarov-Kadri-Marleau line. Of those six players, five can really cycle. If the other two lines can hold up, and the defense able to connect on a couple of stretch passes, Toronto will give Ottawa all it can handle.

We have 3 lines that can go offensively; it will hard to play physical against all of them IMO unless other team ices roster filled with scrubs who just hit

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad