Leafs on ice results now and playoffs - Who is more to blame?

Leafs on ice results - Who is more to blame?

• Total voters

rumman

Sep 10, 2008
I don't think for a second Dubas wants a "soft" team, he'd love to have a guy that's tough that can play the game (he said as much), but those guys are hard to find. We've had the Matt Martin's who can't keep a roster spot
he could have signed Michael Ferland for nothing but money, oh wait he handcuffed himself with all those trips to the woodshed. :sarcasm:

rumman

Sep 10, 2008
I must have said it a dozen times this summer...

By the end of the season, pretty much everybody here will be as angry as I've been at the contracts Dubas gave out. Not just merely annoyed... but furious. And things will get very nasty in Toronto.

In all honesty though... I'm just getting sick of being 100% right about things all of the time. Why can't I ever be wrong? Like... ever? I would LOVE to be wrong. I would LOVE if the players actually lived up to their unprecedented dramatic overpayments. I would LOVE if the team surprised me... and showed that their record since January last year was just a blip.

I would LOVE to be wrong about these things. I just never am.

I honestly think it's because I'm a realist and have the ability to look at the team without wearing blue and white glasses. And so many fans simply don't have that ability.
I highly doubt the "sunny ways" crowd will have enough integrity to abandon their position that Dubas isn't a boy wonder and the best thing since sliced bread.

Reactions: Polaris1010

rumman

Sep 10, 2008
I think the team has officially quit on babcock. They are playing to get him fired. That is literally my only explanation.

Something is not right here. Its not like matthews forgot how to play defence or try hard all of sudden. Its not like marner has forgotten how to play hockey in general. Rielly has forgotten that he is a defenceman and not a forward.

Something is very very wrong. Must be players deciding that babcock needs to go. Maybe they dont like how tavares was chosen to be captain? I have no idea but our team looks very weird right now.
your Toronto Maple Leafs................

weems

Jul 3, 2008
I would say everyone is to blame to be honest.

The players, the coach and the management.

The players, especially the high paid ones have come up short in big games and sometimes not even shown up.

The coach has done some real headscratching things and could do a better job in my mind.

Dubas has gone full out on skill/speed and left this roster with almost no physicality or sandpaper.

Shanahan is the one who oversee's this whole thing and he essentially has the final say (besides ownership that can veto some moves) so when it goes south he is somewhat responsible.

Everyone needs to get on the same page and fast or this season is most likely going to end in embaressing fashion.

rumman

Sep 10, 2008
So the guy who has never topped Nylander's rookie season production, is 6 years older and signed to a retirement contract, and plays a game that falls off hard with age especially with his amount of injuries is the target?

And San Jose is going to say no? :laugh:

Nylander for a physical winger isn't a bad idea on its own, Kane is just a terrible target. That contract is going to be an anchor within 2-3 years.
the same could very well be said about Nylander's contract.

Leaf Fans

Sep 29, 2017
They have played 11 games and have a winning record. They have to get better. With the stars not performing, I hate to find one person or thing to blame, but I am moving towards the coach though I think Babcock is a good coach, he doesn't seem to mesh with the group he has got.

A1LeafNation

Obsession beats talent everytime!!
Oct 17, 2010
1. Matthews and Marner not showing up for big games and both don't play adequate defence.

2. Rielly Ceci and Barrie play shitty defence.

3. Back up goalie is not where it needs to be.

4. PK not where it needs to be.

5. Bottom pair not where it needs to be.

6. Babcock not being effective in getting his message through to the players and not making good in game adjustments.

Atleatst 3 of these issues need to be addressed asap.

Sep 18, 2009
Mostly because Dubas is just a fanboy rather than a GM and Babcock can't make an adjustment to save his life

Whaleafs

“The Leafs are mulch again”
Mar 24, 2017
HFX
There’s plenty of blame to go around. Dubas has assembled a soft team with no spare money left. The top players have been bad on too many nights with seemingly no effort given on some. And Babcock has rolled out a losing strategy in 2 straight first round playoff exits with spill over back to last Christmas & forward to right now. Babcock gets the axe first.

Trapper

Nov 21, 2013
It’s a combination of things.
Shanny hired a GM without experience (to learn on the job) who in turn handed out large contracts to guys without experience (to learn on the job).

The 3 amigos are highly skilled yes, but so far they are Newton’s 3rd law skilled. For every great thing, they can do bad things or just disappear things. And it affects all 3.
If they can’t activate the drive train to the next level, you can’t keep the trio who all suffer the same affliction.
Like a Crosby, someone needs the attitude of not going to lose. Not acceptable. Someone is going down here. And the rest follow.

Reactions: Polaris1010

Mickey Marner

Jul 9, 2014
Dystopia
Voted Babcock + players. Dubas only has one playoff series under his belt and he added the best forward and defenseman available to him to the roster, obviously not his fault they lost.

Unfortunately, we'll likely have to martyr this entire season to get rid of Michael, but that doesn't absolve the players, they need to figure out how to beat Boston, full stop.

PromisedLand

I need more FOOD
Dec 3, 2016
Hogwarts
bump

(screen capped the votes)

want to see if voting shares change as we move along.

Date: 26 Oct 2019
3egshd.jpg

robertmac43

Forever 43!
Mar 31, 2015
Bottom line is the players have been inconsistent for a number of various reasons. I still believe this team will find its stride.

Gabriel426

Jun 30, 2015
Bottom line is the players have been inconsistent for a number of various reasons. I still believe this team will find its stride.

It is not just they are unlucky but they are not playing well, they are not skating, engaging....they seem to be clueless.

Legion34

Jan 24, 2006
It’s Babcock. But not for the reasons most think.
He has been right about more than he has been wrong about.

1.) Hyman.
2.) Matthews marner not working
3.) need for vet leadership.
4.) having a big D who can stop the cycle.

he is a good hockey mind.

the problem is that every single person knows exactly what to expect. He hasn’t changed. So players are adjusting to the leafs systems.

4 years. The same thing. Things get stale in the room after 4 years. Systems too predictable

Reactions: biotk

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad