Sportsnet: Leafs on a roll since Nonis' stern warning

• Thread starter leafstilldeath*
  • Start date

TheVision

Sep 18, 2011
Whatever he said...is working!

That's what I love about this guy. Other than his patience, you never hear boo from him. The fact that this happened a few weeks back and it wasn't reported then, says alot about the way he operates.

Imagine Burke in this situation!

Nonis probably laid it on the line, Randy's your coach and going nowhere, either shape up, or there's the door...up to you! Then probably used the trade rumors of Kadri to get him going and scared many of the others. Again, who knows what was said, but it's working!

Ari91

Nov 24, 2010
Toronto
Whatever he said...is working!

That's what I love about this guy. Other than his patience, you never hear boo from him. The fact that this happened a few weeks back and it wasn't reported then, says alot about the way he operates.

Imagine Burke in this situation!

Nonis probably laid it on the line, Randy's your coach and going nowhere, either shape up, or there's the door...up to you! Then probably used the trade rumors of Kadri to get him going and scared many of the others. Again, who knows what was said, but it's working!

Burke said he stayed out of the dressing room except to say 'good game' after a win. I think most GMs operated that way. I don't recall hearing about Burke addressing the players a few years back when the Leafs were going off the cliff which led to him firing Wilson. If he didn't do it then I would guess that it may not be something he'd now if he were still with the team.

Erdinger

Oct 6, 2011
Toronto
When the guy who can trade you or demote you with one phone call comes in to talk to the group, you get the players attention pretty quick.
Despite the "Playing in Toronto has so much pressure" crap I'm pretty sure none of these players wanted to be shipped out in a trade. They are gods here.

CanadasTeam

Nov 9, 2009
Tarrana
He isn't a particularly intimidating guy, but a full on angry Nonis would be TERRIFYING

ivTZwL9Z4k6JA.gif

Duffman955

Mar 4, 2010
Oh so the threat was, if you don't start winning, we are gonna slowly trade you one by one to Edmonton, the eternal rebuild.

Diatomic

Mitch Matthewlander
Mar 12, 2013
Air Canada Centre
Oh so the threat was, if you don't start winning, we are gonna slowly trade you one by one to Edmonton, the eternal rebuild.

Its funny because its actually true :laugh:, I wouldn't be surprsied if Reimer or Franson are on the Oilers soon, reunited together with Fraser, Hamilton, Scrivens, Eakins

TootooTrain

Sandpaper
Jun 12, 2010
Despite the "Playing in Toronto has so much pressure" crap I'm pretty sure none of these players wanted to be shipped out in a trade. They are gods here.

I think you misinterpreted my post. Didn't suggest any of them wanted out. I suggested the fear of being traded/sent down is always a factor.

Erdinger

Oct 6, 2011
Toronto
I think you misinterpreted my post. Didn't suggest any of them wanted out. I suggested the fear of being traded/sent down is always a factor.
No that is exactly what I thought you suggested and I certainly don't see where you thought I said any of them wanted out. The Leafs players know they have it good here despite the Tough to play in Toronto ********. If I'm an NHL'er I want to play in either Toronto or Montreal.

goonx

Nov 7, 2010
What he probably said was "if you don't start taking this seriously, i'll make sure you guys don't get another job in the NHL or if you do, your careers will be very short. Graveyard of the NHL."

Something about blowing everything up and their lives will be flipped up side down. Think about all the guys that have condos/houses and families in the GTA area.

Being a leaf, you probably get the best of everything a hockey player can get.

Trade some of these guys to CBJ or NYI and buffalo and they'll realize how much they have.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad