News Article: Leafs offer on Hamonic was JVR + 2018 first

Status
Not open for further replies.

Daisy Jane

everything is gonna be okay!
Jul 2, 2009
Well, that's also possible but the podcast I listened to said that his one-year rental status made him less attractive. I realize that's more obvious and less palatable here, but ......

what podcast is that.

well the only benefit we can do is retain on his deal - which could sweeten the pot, but yah. the BEST time was trading him last year. two years, and two years retained. then let the other people work out the deal. but the guy broke his foot so there went that plan.

and i don't see how extending him helps.

Daisy Jane

everything is gonna be okay!
Jul 2, 2009
Hamonic sucks anyways. Thank god we dodged that bullet.

He was a catastrophe on ice last year.

well if there were issues at home to the point he wanted to be traded - that would explain why he was a catastrophe on the ice, right?

TMLegend

May 27, 2012
Somewhere
well if there were issues at home to the point he wanted to be traded - that would explain why he was a catastrophe on the ice, right?

Possibly. I've never had a particularly high opinion of him though. He's a lesser Dion Phaneuf to put it broadly. He's a third pair defensemen on a cup contender imho.

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
Well, that's also possible but the podcast I listened to said that his one-year rental status made him less attractive. I realize that's more obvious and less palatable here, but ......

It depends on the team.

The shorter term deal can also be more attractive to some GMs because here's less risk involved if the player flops - ie Kessel's term was viewed as a big constraint on the Leafs moving him.

HoweHullOrr

Oct 3, 2013
what podcast is that.

well the only benefit we can do is retain on his deal - which could sweeten the pot, but yah. the BEST time was trading him last year. two years, and two years retained. then let the other people work out the deal. but the guy broke his foot so there went that plan.

It depends on the team.

The shorter term deal can also be more attractive to some GMs because here's less risk involved if the player flops - ie Kessel's term was viewed as a big constraint on the Leafs moving him.

TSN I think. I listened to a bunch of them (as well as visiting a number of other sites as well). One had McLennan and the other LeBrun (if it was TSN). It was the talking head guy I think, not McLennan, ODog or an ex-player type.

I agree shorter term can be attractive, but those kind of short term deals are typically TDL. TDL would be the real buy low scenario for the other team because there is no term and just the little remaining $s on his contract at that point. Not sure if the Leafs would be willing to do it if they are in a playoff position though.

As I mentioned, the best leverage from JVR would have been when he had more term. Then a wider range of teams would have been interested as he's more than just a rental at that point. But I guess the thinking was in a different direction as we also moved a 2nd rounder.

Last edited:

HoweHullOrr

Oct 3, 2013
I dont believe this at all. Teams trade enormous sums for trade deadline rentals.

One year versus TDL. I've been talking about JVR for that young, good, top 4 defender. That is the specific topic that I'm discussing, not just getting any kind of asset/return.

See post #306.

This is an ongoing discussion, so you need the rest of details and specifics to get the context.

I think we'd agree that Lou has been trying land a young top 4. The Islanders (Hamonic) is one example. We haven't got one so far.

Last edited:

LeafFever

Feb 12, 2016
Friedman claims the Islanders asked for the first after the offer was JVR. Then the Leafs said no.

randomusername101

May 23, 2017
The Cosmic Abyss
Exactly. What's the equivalent 30-goal, 60 point power forward in terms of defence? I'm starting with definitely not Hamonic. :laugh:

Although calling JVR a power forward is a bit of a stretch, but you get the picture.

lol

JVR doesn't hit. Fair. But the guy is not soft. He goes to the boards, scrums for the puck, uses his giant frame to shield/take a beating, stand in front of the net and get hacked so he scores those chip ins. That's being physical. It's not just about being a bruiser as a power forward. Power forward means you are physical and use your size, which he does. Hitting is just one aspect.

HoweHullOrr

Oct 3, 2013
If JVR was getting an extension after the trade, I would've wanted them to add. 60 point forwards don't grow on trees, and there are plenty players like Hamonic in the league.

Exactly. What's the equivalent 30-goal, 60 point power forward in terms of defence? I'm starting with definitely not Hamonic. :laugh:

Although calling JVR a power forward is a bit of a stretch, but you get the picture.

Ya, Nashville should have given us Jones for JVR, or Larsson + from the Devils for JVR. So many bad GMs in the NHL.

Future

Feb 8, 2011
Ontario
These days, Friedman's info is like what you hear at a barbar shop. 90% of it is opinion, and the remaining 10% is hearsay.

Uhh Friedman's comment makes a lot more sense than the other "rumoured" offers. How can people be so naive to think the leafs were willing to give up JVR + a 1st for HAMONIC. You could get a lot more for that than HAMONIC. :laugh:

Mr Hockey

Toronto
May 11, 2017
30 THOUGHTS

1. Snow and Toronto GM Lou Lamoriello had a seven-minute conversation on the draft floor prior to Round 1. As has been reported, the name James van Riemsdyk came up. The Islanders then asked for JVR and a first, which Toronto did not want to do. This all could have been moot if he was unwilling to waive to go there.

Sorry but reading some comments above, I need to quote Elliot's article.

HoweHullOrr

Oct 3, 2013
Uhh Friedman's comment makes a lot more sense than the other "rumoured" offers. How can people be so naive to think the leafs were willing to give up JVR + a 1st for HAMONIC. You could get a lot more for that than HAMONIC. :laugh:

Good to know. Lou's job should be pretty easy then. Landing that top-4 will be a piece of cake and not require much from us.

bionic

Sep 5, 2009
markham
30 THOUGHTS

1. Snow and Toronto GM Lou Lamoriello had a seven-minute conversation on the draft floor prior to Round 1. As has been reported, the name James van Riemsdyk came up. The Islanders then asked for JVR and a first, which Toronto did not want to do. This all could have been moot if he was unwilling to waive to go there.

Sorry but reading some comments above, I need to quote Elliot's article.

Once again Simmons is wrong. :shakehead

HoweHullOrr

Oct 3, 2013
what podcast is that.

TSN I think. I listened to a bunch of them (as well as visiting a number of other sites as well). One had McLennan and the other LeBrun (if it was TSN). It was the talking head guy I think, not McLennan, ODog or an ex-player type.

I agree shorter term can be attractive, but those kind of short term deals are typically TDL. TDL would be the real buy low scenario for the other team because there is no term and just the little remaining $s on his contract at that point. Not sure if the Leafs would be willing to do it if they are in a playoff position though.

As I mentioned, the best leverage from JVR would have been when he had more term. Then a wider range of teams would have been interested as he's more than just a rental at that point. But I guess the thinking was in a different direction as we also moved a 2nd rounder.

Forgot this one ....

"the leafs were definitely in," confirmed friedman. "and they were a team that they were definitely asking for two firsts. And then i think they talked on friday about a bigger trade. Garth snow and lou lamoriello had about a seven-minute conversation in front of all of the tv cameras on the draft floor. And then i think james van riemsdyk came up. I'm not sure that's something that the islanders wanted to do - not because of anything against van riemsdyk specifically as a player. It's just that he's only got one more year, and they have to kind of clear the decks a little bit right now. No. 2 is they've got guys like ladd and anders lee, and i think they kind of felt they had that skill-set served. So they didn't want to go there."

hockeystick89

Oct 30, 2009
Through all of this:

Why are we so desperate to trade JvR? I get that he can underwhelm at times, but he is as consistent a second liner as you'll find in the league and not many guys can do or will do what he does around the crease.

Mr Hockey

Toronto
May 11, 2017
Through all of this:

Why are we so desperate to trade JvR? I get that he can underwhelm at times, but he is as consistent a second liner as you'll find in the league and not many guys can do or will do what he does around the crease.

He is a UFA next summer, I don't think he fits into our future Cap management.

The Thin White Duke

Aug 11, 2009
Through all of this:

If Leivo/Kapanen/some Marlie can replace 70% of what JVR does at 25% of the cost, it makes sense to shuffle that money towards the defense.

Plus he should bring back a 1st + 2nd at the very least, we can either go shopping with those assets or hope to land another Liljegren-type dropper next year.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad