News Article: Leafs offer on Hamonic was JVR + 2018 first

Status
Not open for further replies.

KMNRB

Jul 4, 2015
Pierre LeBrun on Overdrive said his Islanders source told him the Leafs never made this offer.

Also says he thinks Leafs aren't ready to trade a 1st.

Guess this was fake news after all?

He said not that exact combination. So my guess of the offer is JVR + two 2nd round picks.

Havoc

Jul 25, 2009
Meh. His style of play leaves him under 100 percent for most of the season and his shot suppression is mediocre. No big loss.

I don't see his body holding up for a long playoff run. Rather have JVR's slick hands around the net.

If the deal was JVR and a first then thank god they rejected.

crump

~ ~ (ړײ) ~ ~
Feb 26, 2004
Ontariariario
Whatever. fake or not. I am glad it didn't happen. I thought Hamonic wanted to be out West. Well he got his wish..I feel it would not have been a comfortable fit here and the same issue would come up here IMO.

randomusername101

May 23, 2017
The Cosmic Abyss
Ew. I didn't like JVR straight up..

What is the correct answer for $1000 Alex?

JVR is a 30 goal, 60 point power forward in a league with few power forwards. Yet...they offer him AND a first round pick, for a slightly better than middle of the road defenseman? Hamonic wouldn't even be on the #1 pp in Toronto.

I agree with the potential for a false rumour. No way Lou suddenly lost his mind like that after several, several, keen moves.

hullsy47

Dec 7, 2005

JVR is a 30 goal, 60 point power forward in a league with few power forwards. Yet...they offer him AND a first round pick, for a slightly better than middle of the road defenseman? Hamonic wouldn't even be on the #1 pp in Toronto.

I agree with the potential for a false rumour. No way Lou suddenly lost his mind like that after several, several, keen moves.

snow wasn't gonna deal him to the leafs IMO .especially when there is a real possibility tavaras WANTS to come to Toronto .I think the islanders know this .

thewave

Jun 17, 2011
Looking back now it would have been JVR + Liljgren. I'll pass. Happy we stayed put

With the new group we get lucky with all 1st rounders. That tells me its not so much luck and more about draft table skill. If thats the case it makes more sense to trade JVR for picks incl a 1st

Trapper

Nov 21, 2013
Looking back now it would have been JVR + Liljgren. I'll pass. Happy we stayed put

JVR + Liljegren would have been so old school Leafs moves.
Maybe they could have thrown Owen Nolan in there for us as well.

Glad we set the bar higher.

Morgs

#16 #34 #44 #88 #91
Jul 12, 2015
London, ON
If JVR was getting an extension after the trade, I would've wanted them to add. 60 point forwards don't grow on trees, and there are plenty players like Hamonic in the league.

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
If JVR was getting an extension after the trade, I would've wanted them to add. 60 point forwards don't grow on trees, and there are plenty players like Hamonic in the league.

There may have been a conditional draft pick involved in such a trade to allow for NYI extending JVR. If Isles were trading a top 4 dman it would be for longer term assets and perhaps why Calgary draft picks trumped Leafs offer.

However I doubt any team that acquires him now (not trade deadline) are doing so with the intent of re-signing as opposed to viewing him as a 1 year rental player. IMO

Icejoker

Sep 14, 2015
I read the price was 2 first for Hamonic, I wonder if Leafs have let Martin go to Pens have they taken him before Reaves ?. then the price had been Martin + a first.

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
I read the price was 2 first for Hamonic, I wonder if Leafs have let Martin go to Pens have they taken him before Reaves ?. then the price had been Martin + a first.

Hamonic played for the Islanders and I don't think the Leafs have any interest in moving Martin.

Jerkini

May 31, 2003
Visit site

JVR is a 30 goal, 60 point power forward in a league with few power forwards.

Exactly. What's the equivalent 30-goal, 60 point power forward in terms of defence? I'm starting with definitely not Hamonic. :laugh:

Although calling JVR a power forward is a bit of a stretch, but you get the picture.

horner

May 22, 2007
If a first is going in a trade it will be protected and for a younger player .

I
And I don't think Lou would trade the 2018 pick.
More than likely trying to get another first round pick.

This draft from all account is loaded with defenseman .
Top 10
Dahlin
McIsaac
Hughes

10-20
Wilde
Bouchard
Woo
Merkley

20-30
Ginning
Samuelson
Lalonde
Galenyuk
Ty Smith

30-40
Xavier Bouchard
Alexeyev
Emberson
Miller

From draft site

randomusername101

May 23, 2017
The Cosmic Abyss
snow wasn't gonna deal him to the leafs IMO .especially when there is a real possibility tavaras WANTS to come to Toronto .I think the islanders know this .

I don't quite follow what you mean. Islanders strategically traded harmonic to discourage Tavares to Toronto? That doesn't seem right to me. Wouldn't make a dif becAuse adding harmonic to Toronto doesn't make a significant difference in how Toronto is perceived by anyone.

randomusername101

May 23, 2017
The Cosmic Abyss
There may have been a conditional draft pick involved in such a trade to allow for NYI extending JVR. If Isles were trading a top 4 dman it would be for longer term assets and perhaps why Calgary draft picks trumped Leafs offer.

However I doubt any team that acquires him now (not trade deadline) are doing so with the intent of re-signing as opposed to viewing him as a 1 year rental player. IMO

If jvr is willing to play ball and sign for like 5 mil, it might not be the worst idea as long as it doesn't mess up signing the big 3.

AvroArrow

Mitch "The God" Marner
Jun 10, 2011
Toronto
I swear that would be a 10x better offer than what the Isles actually got. Either its BS or Snow has almost surpassed Benning as the worst GM in the nhl.

HoweHullOrr

Oct 3, 2013
Pierre LeBrun on Overdrive said his Islanders source told him the Leafs never made this offer.

Also says he thinks Leafs aren't ready to trade a 1st.

Guess this was fake news after all?

If its the same podcast that I listened to with one the regulars, he said that the Leafs deal offered players and prospects.

HoweHullOrr

Oct 3, 2013
Something to keep in mind is Snow likely views the Leafs as potential playoff competition - which also might give reason why he'd prefer 2nds to JVR

Well, that's also possible but the podcast I listened to said that his one-year rental status made him less attractive. I realize that's more obvious and less palatable here, but ......

1specter

Sep 27, 2016
Friedman 30 thoughts

1. Snow and Toronto GM Lou Lamoriello had a seven-minute conversation on the draft floor prior to Round 1. As has been reported, the name James van Riemsdyk came up. The Islanders then asked for JVR and a first, which Toronto did not want to do. This all could have been moot if he was unwilling to waive to go there.

Tall Morty

Visualize the action to actualize the vision
Apr 18, 2017
Pass. Would rather have Kovalchuk.

But we'd have to give something up for Kovalchuk. For the time being, Vanek is a UFA left winger who scored 48 points in 68 games last year. It's pretty low risk, if they're trying to ship out Van Riemsdyk anyway. Worst case scenario, they send him to the press box and ice the same team they would had they not signed him.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad