News Article: Leafs offer on Hamonic was JVR + 2018 first

Status
Not open for further replies.

htpwn

Nov 4, 2009
Toronto
Good to see Friedman clear the air on this story (Isles ask was JVR+1st, not the Leafs offer). Maybe a Mod can fix the thread title?

mapleleaf979

Jan 14, 2012
Toronto, Ontario
lol

JVR doesn't hit. Fair. But the guy is not soft. He goes to the boards, scrums for the puck, uses his giant frame to shield/take a beating, stand in front of the net and get hacked so he scores those chip ins. That's being physical. It's not just about being a bruiser as a power forward. Power forward means you are physical and use your size, which he does. Hitting is just one aspect.

JVR doesnt take a beating. How many chip ins in close did he get this year? He is far from physical. He scores the quiestest 30 goals in the league. JVR's compete level is below average. He wont drive a line, take the bull by the horns and lead in anyway. Why would any GM in the NHL want to watch him underachieve for the next 5 years. Marner can play with anyone, the Leafs know what the market is. Try to move him for any Right handed D above Carrick's ability. Carrick is a bottom pairing at most right now and Im not convinced he is going to remain in the NHL long term. His panic, IQ/decision making are glaring.

ToneDog

56 years and counting. #FireTheShanaClan!
Jun 11, 2017
Richmond Hill, ON
As I along with others argued, this story total bunk. Hamonic isn't what we need. An intelligent puck stabilizer at the back-end is what Morgan Rielly requires.

This morning Fan590 reported (source was an Islander insider) that Leafs offered JVR and 2018 #1. Hamonic fits as a young RHD making $3.5M for 3 more years. Where there is smoke there is fire.

MR4

Oct 20, 2014
This morning Fan590 reported (source was an Islander insider) that Leafs offered JVR and 2018 #1. Hamonic fits as a young RHD making $3.5M for 3 more years. Where there is smoke there is fire.

Friedman > Fan590, I'll bet on Friedman saying it was the Isle's ask then Leafs scoffed.

The_Chosen_One

Jul 4, 2006
Melbourne, Australia
When was F590 much of a reliable source? Honestly, if the Leafs made such an acquisition, I'd place that in the making a trade for sake of it.

I don't think we need another sub-par decision on the back end. Actually, Hamonic due to his tendency to take stupid penalties is probably a larger liability than Gardiner or Rielly. Both, who I'd argue is far better for this team despite being LHDs.

Warden of the North

Ned Stark's head
Apr 28, 2006
Muskoka
We've now had two sources say the Leafs never offered a 1st. Two sources with far more credibility then Simmons. Further discussion can be taken to the Trades thread.

Closed.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad