Friedman: Leafs not willing to move Kapanen or Sandin

Brobust

Sep 29, 2017
No. Pre ankle sprain Liljegren was pencilled in for a shot at the big club in the second half like we have done with Kappy, Dermott, Johnsson over the last two seasons.

Sandin is having a better U19 season than Liljegren though.

Does that mean both could graduate next season?

BB88

Jan 19, 2015
Good call

They did basically give up what good amount of Leafs fans have been pushing for Pesce here(which wasn't getting it done).

Good to add top4 anyways for them, try to boost a weak part of the roster.

kris

Jan 12, 2003
Calgary via Halifax
They did basically give up what good amount of Leafs fans have been pushing for Pesce here(which wasn't getting it done).

Good to add top4 anyways for them, try to boost a weak part of the roster.

Yeah, obviously they would have preferred their RHD (let's say Pesce) but managed to upgrade the top 4 while holding onto the pieces they said they were holding on to. Makes sense why Carolina wouldn't budge and why the Leafs ultimately went a different direction. Little awkward for laying out the pairings but it's not the massive deal some might make it out to be.

Uncle Scrooge

Hockey Bettor
Nov 14, 2011
Helsinki
Defiantly could be I was meerly addressing the value of Nylander, Kappy and Johnson. Kappy By far has some tools and he in my opinion is the Best player at the moment. Can that change between Nylander and Kappy yes, But johnson will never be in that argument of best value.

I don't know, seems to me like Johnsson is in the same conversation ?

Like i've said multiple times in this thread, people have it wrong if they think Kapanen is twice the player AJ is.

Reactions: LDN

Colt55

Sep 28, 2017
st. Louis

I don't know, seems to me like Johnsson is in the same conversation ?

Like i've said multiple times in this thread, people have it wrong if they think Kapanen is twice the player AJ is.

Thats pure speculation and like the guy said if its johnson + + why hasnt the deal been made. Its more likeley that it is nylnader or as the post suggests Kappy. Would you really want to give up kappy for pesce.

Uncle Scrooge

Hockey Bettor
Nov 14, 2011
Helsinki
Thats pure speculation and like the guy said if its johnson + + why hasnt the deal been made. Its more likeley that it is nylnader or as the post suggests Kappy. Would you really want to give up kappy for pesce.

Well, not necessarily, but the point is AJ++ (assuming the ++ is something good) is not less value than Kapanen. That's what the argument was from the get-go when people said "well if Kapanen is not included then a deal will never happen".

I pointed out that AJ isn't that far off from Kapanen and that AJ++ would be a solid starting point for the Canes.

Doesn't mean the Leafs necessarily want to do that either. IMHO Johnsson goes to Carolina and he's a 50 point guy if he gets the minutes. Dude has 26 in 46 playing 13 minutes a game while having a good compete level. And he's got the smarts to play with good players like Aho. If the Canes are asking for something like Liljegren on top of that, i don't do it.

Especially now that they have Muzzin.

ER89

Jul 25, 2018
Yes, yes I Would. At which point canes would say f*** off, and I would say " what, I'm just asking".

Knies iT

Mar 6, 2015
Well, not necessarily, but the point is AJ++ (assuming the ++ is something good) is not less value than Kapanen. That's what the argument was from the get-go when people said "well if Kapanen is not included then a deal will never happen".

I pointed out that AJ isn't that far off from Kapanen and that AJ++ would be a solid starting point for the Canes.

Doesn't mean the Leafs necessarily want to do that either. IMHO Johnsson goes to Carolina and he's a 50 point guy if he gets the minutes. Dude has 26 in 46 playing 13 minutes a game while having a good compete level. And he's got the smarts to play with good players like Aho. If the Canes are asking for something like Liljegren on top of that, i don't do it.

Especially now that they have Muzzin.
You're right in that the gap between AJ and Kapanen is not as big as non-Leaf fans will have you believe. Matter of fact is that people just don't know much about Johnsson. He's one of the best Marlie forwards i've seen at that level, was rookie of the year in the SHL, and has since evolved in to the team's best LW (some might argue Hyman).

He's on pace for around 50 points as a rookie with very inconsistent usage. He sees mostly 3rd line minutes, but has also been used on the 4th line and the top 6. To put up those numbers as an undersized rookie without stable linemates is an impressive feat.

I prefer Kapanen, but they will have similar careers.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad