Post-Game Talk: Leafs no shows in game 1. Trail series 1-0

Status
Not open for further replies.

disgruntleddave

Aug 31, 2009
Canada
We have one more chance to be in it.

Very disappointed with tavares line. Willy was invisible. At least marner did a good job on a couple d plays, but he's not paid 10.9 for that.

Too bad freddie let in that goal.

Wonder what adjustments we'll make for game 2.

Hogan86

Jun 21, 2016
If we play a defensive game, we literally cant score. If we score 5 goals, we lose 6-5.

Most days it sucks being a Leafs fan. If only we could find our offensive and defensive balance to be a good all around team.

IrishInOntario

May 18, 2013
In case anybody feels like being a pollyanna... Historically, teams that lose game 1 of a series lose that series 80% of the time.

When you're playing against a system team you must outplay them and break the system down. If you delay them to a draw, they'll find a way to win nearly every time.

This is how Tampa Bay felt.

Reactions: Bobcat110

lovemyleafs

Jan 23, 2017
lmao. we were all so worried about freddy in the months leading up to this game and he's the only one that actually showed up.

whole team was ass.

this game was perfectly summed up by the kapanen breakaway early in the first. he was on a clear breakaway and then randomly decided to turn back. i was so confused...

Reactions: NiftyMits

Leafs87

Mr. Steal Your Job
Aug 10, 2010
Toronto
Ya it was a weird game like that. Team folding after the goal was particularly worrying.

Cant have such an offensive team thinking they already lost the game when down 1-0.

I don’t blame them. The way this game went, I thought it was over too. They couldn’t create anything

Reactions: Ziggdiezan

BayStBullies

Burn the Boats!
Apr 1, 2012
@BayStBullies
Andersen was great outside of that brutal goal.

I was expecting a little more intensity but it really only showed up in spurts.

Robertson was good early but faded as the game went on.

Matthews was pretty good.

Tavares and Marner need to be ALOT better if we're going anywhere.

Tavares especially needs to step up. He was pretty bad last playoffs and again tonight was extremely mediocre.

He's the captain and one of our most experienced players. We need alot more from him.
Letting in a free goal every game is a surefire way to never make a dent in the playoffs.

Reactions: ToMaLe

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
This is exactly what CBJ did to TB last year.

They just clog up the ice and prevent any time and space and speed rushes and aggressively forecheck.

This isn't unexpected and the Leafs will need to find ways to break through that and capitalize on limited scoring chances.

michi510

Aug 31, 2011
Toronto
Pretty depressing.

mighty maple leafs with all their money spent on forwards cant buy a goal.

somethings gotta change with that huge investment in the forward group. That philosophy didn’t work last year, and it’s not working any better this year.

Reactions: Blowfish

rdogg

I cry your pardon
Aug 4, 2010
PEI
It really pains me how much Toronto overpaid for Marner's contract. He is an absolute joke of a player.

Reactions: MJK

CincoHolio

Jan 8, 2013
Toronto
Actually we didn't play all that poorly all things considered. Problem is we didn't play great either. Whoever said out-coached is correct. We're playing a game of Russian roulette and that just won't cut it.

TMLeafer

Rest in Peace Johnny Bower
Mar 23, 2008
Hockey Mecca, ON
Tavares, Marner, Nylander were atrocious.

I don't think CBJ dominated, though that will certainly be the narrative around here. But after a great 1st shift of the 3rd period, Andersen does the worst possible thing, give up a total softie. He was great the rest of the game but man that's a back breaker that this team just cannot escape.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad