Leafs need more truculence!!!

Bomber0104

Apr 8, 2007
Burlington
Brutal defence, no heart, no pushback, no character, no team toughness..

Put it all together and you have the 2018-19 Toronto Maple Leafs: the biggest collection of sissies ever assembled by a (rookie) NHL GM.

Reactions: Faltorvo and Pookie

TakeTheBody

Jan 10, 2018
I could never put my finger on who Matthews reminded me of. Now i think it's Malkin. Both players their first few years have relied on immense talent and not really using their size. Malkin used to get knocked to the ice, wasn't really the aggressor. Now he's a beast. He learned to use the leverage he has with that body. Matthews is nowhere near close to that. YET. I'm not ripping on Matthews i just think it's something that's learned. He will learn it. And when he does. It will change how the Leafs are viewed. Until then, let's hope we can win a round or two along the way. Gain experience.

Reactions: The Cobra

eddieO

Jan 9, 2013
The Beach
Anybody who still thinks we need to win “by playing our game” doesn’t realize the elusive “our game” we play only works in the regular season.

Aggression is important. I’ve asked this a dozen times on this board and nobody can give me an answer. Is there a team with a roster as soft as ours that have won a Cup?

And no, Chicago had WAY more aggression than we do.

I guess when we get to the playoffs, all of those people can turn it into a Fire Babcock and ignore the fact that this roster is soft, the game has not changed enough to ignore aggression, and that we have a ways to go to get there.

sxvnert

Nov 23, 2015
Leafs need a real coach.

Q.png

PeterPuck101

Feb 12, 2019
Sparks was awful tonight. We got spanked by a better team. I just don't see us going far into these playoffs. Andersson will have to stand on his head for us to have a chance. I just don't see it happening with this group.

Carltons Cup

Let's Do This..
Feb 22, 2018
The issue with this team is that they need to "learn" how to win. Sure, they've won a ton of games last season and this season, but the playoffs is where it's at...

Look at Boston - they are 11-0-4 in their past 15 games. No pasta in the lineup. Other than the top line, they aren't the most talented team in the league. But, they know what it takes to win.

Our core is relatively young and it's going to take more growing pains before they understand "HOW" to win a round, let alone a Cup. Just look at how long it took the Caps to get rid of their demons...

As much as it frustrates me to watch this team at times, patience is our best friend.

Pookie

Wear a mask
Oct 23, 2013
You’d like to see some grit.

Islanders with Komarov, Martin and Clutterbuck as examples.

I was just hoping we didn’t get injured when going up against them.

Good try out there boys ..... I guess.

v4karuna

Apr 23, 2015
It's simple, the team lacks emotion.

I think there are too many "star players" on this team and this makes individuals pass the buck.

We have the size in Goat, Muzzin, Matthews, Tavares, Rielly, and Hyman - all over 6' 200 lbs ++

Adding another big guy who can throw hits won't help, we need the players above to do that every game even if that means they'll get injured. It's part of the game..

We are on average taller and heavier than the Boston bruins
Src: Sizing up the NHL: 2018-19 NHL teams by age, height and...

Last edited:

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
I could never put my finger on who Matthews reminded me of. Now i think it's Malkin. Both players their first few years have relied on immense talent and not really using their size. Malkin used to get knocked to the ice, wasn't really the aggressor. Now he's a beast. He learned to use the leverage he has with that body. Matthews is nowhere near close to that. YET. I'm not ripping on Matthews i just think it's something that's learned. He will learn it. And when he does. It will change how the Leafs are viewed. Until then, let's hope we can win a round or two along the way. Gain experience.

Agreed. The sooner he becomes that player, the team will take a massive step forwards.

Also, for the smaller guys, Brayden Point is a great role model for what a smaller player is willing to do in traffic to have success.

The S5

Jul 27, 2017
You claim we can't handle physical teams. We have handled physical teams. I'm not being in denial. I'm reacting to the facts as they are, instead of reacting to a narrative.

JT Miller is not a particularly physical player, McDonagh is far from a physical player. Physicality is not part of what those guys bring, or why they were acquired. So no, that doesn't tell us what you think either.

Chicago did well going with little physicality against teams that did exactly what you say. Of all the cup winning teams, they are also our closest comparable in terms of personnel and style of play. We should embrace our identity, and emulate the highly successful team that was built like we are.

I agree that we need to do a better job of making our speed a factor.

Pittsburgh definitely was physical. Chicago wasn't. Among the 30 teams that has been around since their first cup, they sit at 29th in hits. They were successful, I'd say.

Boston didn't steam roll us last time with physicality. We were actually the better team at even strength. Boston steam rolled us at the PP to the point they made up for that and eked out a third period, game seven win.

What you are talking about is not the truth, it's a weak hypothesis without much evidence to support it. Even if the issue existed, and the above paragraph shows why it does not to a crucial extent, no series in this league is an obvious cake walk before it happens as you describe it.

If you want to ignore how the game went overall and just focus on that one situation, how does adding physicality change the above situation?

It wouldn't. It would make absolutely no difference whatsoever. Even if you replaced Gardiner with a more physically robust player, he'd likely get blown up as well if he got the puck with little time and Wilson barreling down on him. It's what Wilson does to pretty much everyone given the chance. The only way to avoid it would be to bail on the puck, which would actually be the soft play that people accuse Gardiner of.

Putting any fourth line center against Bergeron would be suicide. That's an awful idea.

McDonagh putting on a clinic against the Leafs tonight. Rielly needs to take some notes.

Coachcorner

Senor Martinez
Sep 28, 2017
Now all these posts are coming wanting hard players back from Lou's gamebook.....

I have been saying it for months now. Somebody should have told dubas the same thang. This team with these suckas..... ain't doing it in the playoffs period. These is some tender type of primas.

We got rid of our heavey hittas and got nobody back. That's some awful management right thurr. It's like there's no playoffs even coming at sight )?= I mean what is that.

sxvnert

Nov 23, 2015
The leafs need the players who play on this team to sweat a little. TBay has next to nothing "truculence" wise and yet they hunt that puck down like their lives depended on it.

Trapper

Nov 21, 2013
You’d like to see some grit.

Islanders with Komarov, Martin and Clutterbuck as examples.

I was just hoping we didn’t get injured when going up against them.

Good try out there boys ..... I guess.
Even that only goes so far.
You need a mix of stars that have that ability.
The ability to play a blue collar game as well.

Le Cobra

Rent A Goalie
Nov 11, 2015
Toronto The Good
What i have increasingly noticed about this team is the lack of ability to create a cycle in the offensive zone, and lack of ability to stop one in the defensive zone. The only line we have that isn't a one and done rush line is the tavares line. We need a player like Tampa's Yanni Gourde who is skilled, skates well, plays smart, but also plays heavy in both ends.

On defense i think we should target Jake Muzzin. Tough to play against in the defensive zone, throws the body, good skater, good positioning but he can also make an outlet pass.

Say what you want about it being a new era, i agree you dont need to be 6'2 to make it in the league anymore but grit will always have a place in the game and that's why the leafs fold against teams like Boston.

This post aged very well.

RLF

May 5, 2014
McDonagh putting on a clinic against the Leafs tonight. Rielly needs to take some notes.

We got guys saying it is just false we can't handle physical play. But even if you go by just hits/game, which is not the only definition of physical play, our record against the top 10 teams in the League is around .500. For a team with a record of 42-22-5, a .500 record against teams that hit the most is not very good.

Whaleafs

“The Leafs are mulch again”
Mar 24, 2017
HFX
Did anyone else see Marner trying to throw the first check of his life last night at centre ice ? lmao

Nithoniniel

Sep 7, 2012
Skövde, Sweden
I like Tampa's coach Cooper. For those that think Tampa is not a physical team give a listen to Cooper on hockey central yesterday.

https://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/lightning-coach-cooper-explains-difficulty-playoff-hockey/
Tampa is pretty physical. Most of all, Tampa is all intense forecheck. They cut your space and get in between you and the puck. You don't get room to breathe.

Honestly, I like physicality that has the objective of getting in between players and the puck better than physicality with the objective to rough up the opposing player. Probably to the surprise of no one.

The S5

Jul 27, 2017
Yup. He played a very solid game. Your point?
Leafs don't have any D at that level.
Leafs went with Muzzin around TDL...not the answer.
Leafs fans shot down suggestions around Pesce, who would be their best shut down D.

Nithoniniel

Sep 7, 2012
Skövde, Sweden
Leafs don't have any D at that level.
Leafs went with Muzzin around TDL...not the answer.
Leafs fans shot down suggestions around Pesce, who would be their best shut down D.
You mean defensively? Muzzin can be that guy. He's been a very strong d-man through many years, and was having one of his best seasons before coming here. He's looked a bit shaky defensively, but there's talk that he might be playing through a minor injury.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad