Gunnar - Phaneuf
Gardiner - Ranger
Liles - Franson
Rielly - Komisarek
Holzer - Kostka

all filled up.

rdawg1234

Jul 2, 2012
marlies only have 8 defence, leafs need 4 defence min.
franson will not play for the leafs, he signed for the year in sweden, that was the rule to sign in Sweden.

burke will sign 2 ufa's, who will they be?
burke will not deplete the 1st place marlies, just to play half a season in the nhl.

murry will never see nhl action this year , maybe next year
ranger signed a one way contract.

lol:help::shakehead

ForSpareParts*

We have depth at D, but a solid Veteran with Dion is what we could really improve with.

onebighockeyfan

May 2, 2010
I completely agree. Hence why BB made a mistake trading Schenn. Right now the only solution is to give Komisarek more ice time :badidea:

Grant

LL Genius
Jan 16, 2012
London
franson will not play for the leafs, he signed for the year in sweden, that was the rule to sign in Sweden.

burke will not deplete the 1st place marlies, just to play half a season in the nhl.

Franson - someone else posted a tweet confirming Franson could come back. I personally don't think he will play another gamei n the leafs uniform but at this point in time he is the leafs property so I assume he counts.

Marlies - As I said before, Marlies are secondary to the Leafs. The reason for having a farm team is to have players ready to call up.

Murry - who?

Ranger - yes, he did sign an AHL contract, but there could be a mutual opt-out to that contract and he could sign with the Leafs. It seems as if he wants to play only in the Toronto area. At this time we cannot be certain if he wants to play in the NHL, but athletes are competitive and I think he will want to.

burke will not sign him now, over the summer maybe, when theres more time.
franson is going to want 2.5mil per for 3 years min.

Franson does not deserve that and he knows it. He can ask that but he won't be getting that from any team in the NHL.

onebighockeyfan

May 2, 2010
We dont need to sign any UFA's:

Gunnar-Phaneuf
Gardiner(will be back soon)-Ranger
Liles-Holzer
Franson(Has opt-out clause in euro contract)

Komi an extra in case someones injured.

also Rielly if you really get down on injuries.

we're fine for defense.

We'll get murdered if we go with this D.

TheGroceryStick

Jan 19, 2009
Ontario Canada
I hope they start it like this:

Gunnarsson-Phaneuf
Liles-Komisarek
Ranger-Reilly

Then slide Gards in when he is ready, send Morgan back with a pat on the back. Komisarek has his try-out. But sits for Franson or Holzer if he doesn't step up.

Christ

Mar 10, 2004
Canada
1. Phaneuf
2. Gunnar
3. Gardiner (Rielly plays 9 games at which point Gardiner should be healthy)
4. Liles
5. Komi
6. Holzer (has a broken foot but I think played last game anyways?)
7. Ranger (is a possibility)
8. Kostka (is a possibility)
9. Fraser (has NHL experience)
10. Franson (I hear has an out clause?)

This...Defense is not an area where the Leafs really need to add players. The fact that we have a boatload of defense talent on the horizon as well in Percy, Finn and Reilly (among others) who make the arguement that we need defense here mute. Where the Leafs need help is a big center who can score for the first line and a proper starting goaltender.

cup67

May 8, 2010
TORONTO
Gunnar - Phaneuf
Gardiner - Ranger
Liles - Franson
Rielly - Komisarek
Holzer - Kostka

all filled up.

first over all here we come.
no playoffs again.
just made the marlies a mediocre team.
so we went from bad, good , to bad,bad

Leafs For Life*

1. Why the F are you so concerned about the Marlies? Leafs are 1st priority, and Marlies can pick prospects they want to put on their team like Percy, or Finn.
2. Franson's contract has an out clause, which means he can leave.
3. Again, should we send Kessel down to the AHL? Screw playing in the NHL, let's win the Holy Calder Cup!
4. Who are you refering to with murry?
5. He signed an AHL contract which also states Leafs can only sign him during the contract. Which means that Burke can sign him to a try-out, and then sign him for the year(s).
burke will not sign him now, over the summer maybe, when theres more time.
franson is going to want 2.5mil per for 3 years min.

lol lol lol
Tell me how you know Burke so well, are you his brother?
And how does a scratch deserve 2.5M per?

onebighockeyfan

May 2, 2010
If we're going to get 'murdered' this year what would you call what happened last year?

I would say with that D, there's a chance we do worst than last year. We can say that last year we collapsed and finished 5th last.

LV*

Free my bro Leivo
Aug 26, 2012
Toronto
no playoffs again.

Okay, FSP.

You really think the UFA dmen, like Kubina are going to turn our d into something amazing? It isn't all that bad, and you should stop complaining.

theneuf33

@TheDamager
1. Phaneuf
2. Gunnar
3. Gardiner (Rielly plays 9 games at which point Gardiner should be healthy)
4. Liles
5. Komi
6. Holzer (has a broken foot but I think played last game anyways?)
7. Ranger (is a possibility)
8. Kostka (is a possibility)
9. Fraser (has NHL experience)
10. Franson (I hear has an out clause?)

10 people, pick 7. Although for all we know we trade for another by trading a forward (for example maybe MacArthur).

this the leafs and marlies will be fine plenty of defensive depth cant afford to sign anyone else anyways there is a cap still

Leafs For Life*

no playoffs again.

Shall we send Phaneuf, Lupul, Kessel, and company to the AHL? Sign some crappy UFAs to put on the roster so then we can lose like we sure will, but we will win, THE CALDER CUP!?!? And then, in 2 years we will be able to have Mackinnon playing on our 1st line in the AHL! We will be perrenial contenders!!!!!!!

cup67

May 8, 2010
TORONTO
Okay, FSP.

You really think the UFA dmen, like Kubina are going to turn our d into something amazing? It isn't all that bad, and you should stop complaining.

we need to fill spots for injuries, and there will be a boat load.
maybe someone like campoli, sign for 48 games.
so there not so much stress put on the marlies.
burke always wants more defence because of injuries, then you can use the callups when needed, but to ruin a marlie team thats in 1st just to play 48 games, we know we are not going anywere this year.
next year will be the year

dubey

$$$$$$$*NICE*$$$$$$$ 69 in 79 $$$$$$$*NICE*$$$$$$$
Oct 22, 2006
In your head
I would say with that D, there's a chance we do worst than last year. We can say that last year we collapsed and finished 5th last.
No chance

Whoever we replace Schenn with will be an improvement. Not saying Schenn is a terrible player but he had an atrocious season last year.

Healthy Liles will help too.

theneuf33

@TheDamager
we need to fill spots for injuries, and there will be a boat load.
maybe someone like campoli, sign for 48 games.
so there not so much stress put on the marlies.
burke always wants more defence because of injuries, then you can use the callups when needed, but to ruin a marlie team thats in 1st just to play 48 games, we know we are not going anywere this year.
next year will be the year

im sure any of the marlies on 2 way contracts would love to be called up so they get paid some money! most of these guys dream to play in nhl not win in ahl even without ranger and kostka the marlies will still have a great team and some younger guys will develop in the ahl which they cannot now due to the backlog of defencemen in the Leafs system, kostka and ranger clearly are nhl capable and holzer probably as well

MapleLeafGardens*

the need at least 2 defence to start the season.
who will they go after, ufa's

leafs defence as of now.

phaneuf-gunnerson
liles-komi
?-?
?
7 defence min.

Burke has done a masterful job of building one of the best defense cores in the NHL.

No way we even make the playoffs with that defense group ^ let alone compete for a cup.

And we are still without a #1 goalie good job Burkie!!

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad