leafs need defence

zeke

The Dube Abides
Mar 14, 2005
no play offs again this year, wake up the lock out is over.
next year maybe

whether we make the playoffs or not won't be because of that defense.

goaltending and the #1 centre spot are where we need better performance.

Crispy Crust

Jul 6, 2007
Toronto
now thats a smart hockey guy. the dreaming during the lockout is over.

Well isn't that ironic. Also, as stated previously the Leafs have plenty of quality D (Phaneuf, Gunnar, Gardiner, Liles, Franson) with potentially Paul Ranger as well. The Leafs problem is their centre depth and the obvious goaltending issues.

cup67

May 8, 2010
TORONTO
Well isn't that ironic. Also, as stated previously the Leafs have plenty of quality D (Phaneuf, Gunnar, Gardiner, Liles, Franson) with potentially Paul Ranger as well. The Leafs problem is their centre depth and the obvious goaltending issues.

gardiner is out
franson not signed
ranger will stay down with the marlies
that leaves us with 3 defence
and if we call up 4 defence and there is any injuries , then what?

zeke

The Dube Abides
Mar 14, 2005
Gardiner's career isn't over.

Franson and Ranger will be signed.

That leaves us with 7 defensemen + 1 of the best D prospects in the world + some quality AHL depth dmen.

Kingstonian84*

Sep 23, 2012
The leafs defence IMO needs a massive overhaul, lets face it our blueline is far too offensive oriented with only one really above average one in his own end, the other "defensive defencmen" komiserak is at the end of his rope and really doesnt offer that much.

Phaneuf and Gunnar as our top pairing is decent- Phaneuf is a top pairing D on most teams and he has all the tools to be an all around force and Gunnar on his arm allows Dion to go for the big hits and jump up in the rush knowing full well he has his partner covering his behind.

Gardiner works great as a 2nd pairing guy but theres no true partner for him, Gardiners the type of guy that needs a defensive partner (ala Gunnar) and we don't have anyone else besides Gunnarsson.

Franson is a wild card, I havent seen much of him, but from what I hear he does have the tools to be a potential top 4 guy. Liles get rid of the bum, guy is small/north of 30/injury prone basically an all around bad combo not to mention we have other guys like him who are younger and far cheaper.

Phaneuf/Gunnar
Gardiner/xxxxx
Komi(for now) xxxxx

zeke

The Dube Abides
Mar 14, 2005
why didn't adding "physical defensive defensemen" like Beauchemin, Schenn, Gill, Komisarek, Finger make us any better defensively the last little why?

Kingstonian84*

Sep 23, 2012
defence is what is going to kill the leafs, this year

Disagree. Whats going to break us is goaltending, we cannot go into this season with a Riemer/Scrivens combo. I'm not saying Riemer can't be an elite goalie but he just is nowhere near that level and he can't be expected to stand on his head every game, basically we need to find a true #1 and not ride our hopes on him at this point.

As for defence its a 23 man team, for a true defensive system to work ALL guys need to buy into it and everyone needs to take care of their own end first, it is not just the blueliners responsibilty.

Kingstonian84*

Sep 23, 2012
why didn't adding "physical defensive defensemen" like Beauchemin, Schenn, Gill, Komisarek, Finger make us any better defensively the last little why?

1. Because most of them were here under Wilson's era and were expected to play an uptemp offensive speed game which none of them were any good at, they were put in a position to fail

2. Defence is not about being physical, its about positioning and smarts and about taking the space away from the opponent/getting the puck up to forwards. Its all fine and good to knock a guy on his ass but then what? See thats the 2nd problem none of these guys knew how to make a proper pass, it was embarassing and cringeworthy watching them fumble the puck every time they touched it.

cup67

May 8, 2010
TORONTO

you call those defence men, they could not even play in the AHL. :)

DEFENCE IS WHAT KILLED OUR GOALIES.
look at the top teams , great defence

birddog*

Franson will be signed or moved

Gardiner is basically ready to play

Ranger will likely be signed

Anyone know the prognosis for Holzer's foot?

Phaneuf Liles
Gardiner Ranger
Gunnarson Franson
Holzner

Not necessarily in that order.

Komi needs to be bought out.

Liles is just holding Reilly's spot.

Edler is a UFA and should be a prime target.

zeke

The Dube Abides
Mar 14, 2005
sigh, you guys will never learn.

name me all the physical defensive defensemen on, say, Detroit.....or uber-defensive Phoenix.....or first place St.Louis.

Apr 1, 2010
you call those defence men, they could not even play in the AHL. :)

DEFENCE IS WHAT KILLED OUR GOALIES.
look at the top teams , great defence

I know Gill Sucked when he was here, but somehow he was the go to guy for both MTL and PIT on some great playoff runs.

Hal Gill - Stanley Cup champion. Nuff said.

Apr 1, 2010

name me all the physical defensive defensemen on, say, Detroit.....or uber-defensive Phoenix.....or first place St.Louis.

Don't you remember Nik "The Trash Compactor" Lidstrom?

If he didn't kill you on the boards, he would just drop the gloves and rip your freaking head off.

:sarcasm:

12345*

We have no defensive stalwarts on the team. It's gonna be a gong show in the D zone.

Gunnar - Phaneuf
-------- - Gardiner
Hozler - Franson
Komisarek

?Liles

theneuf33

@TheDamager
Imo if u can get ranger to sign to a decent deal he would play on the second pairing with gardiner hes a good puck mover solid in his own end and can play effectively in the offensive zone a bottom pairing of franson and holzer or liles and holzer with komi as #7 would be fine with me

TheKingSlayer

He was in the way!
Mar 12, 2008
Ottawa

Niklas Kronwall, Brad Stuart, Jonathan Ericsson - DET

Barrett Jackman, Ian Cole, - STL

Phoenix has none, but they play Tippett style hockey which means the forwards do all the hitting and the d-men do all the shot blocking.

Leafs For Life*

Niklas Kronwall, Brad Stuart, Jonathan Ericsson - DET

Barrett Jackman, Ian Cole, - STL

Phoenix has none, but they play Tippett style hockey which means the forwards do all the hitting and the d-men do all the shot blocking.

Pretty sure Cole is a twd but I was going to post the rest lol.

Weltschmerz

Front Running Fan
Apr 22, 2007
Remember last season when Turris had to sign till december to play in the rest of the season, because he was an RFA?
Franson is an RFA too, and I wouldn't bet on any extra rules because of the lockout.
Teams had all summer to get it done.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad