TSN Radio Leafs Lunch interviews Brendan Shanahan and Dave Nonis (April 14, 2014)

Ari91

Nov 24, 2010
Toronto
I'm going to play the optimist devils advocate right now.

Right now we're still very upset and "blow everything up!" [even though we think it may or may not be true]. I think we can all agree that most of our assets aren't that very valuable, and those that do have some weight to them, we don't want to trade right away (Gardiner, Kadri) or at all (Bernier, Rielly) [and/or insert your particular guy here, say like JVR etc]

So. unlike some markets (Buffalo, Florida, the Islanders) that can go, yah we're going to start selling everyone off and get some pieces, the Leafs can't do that because we WILL be undersold. Also - Shanahan said constantly, he can't come in and just 'say' things, he needs to work and assess things. That doesn't mean he won't start blowing things up - he's just not going to say so as of yet.

I am willing to give Shanahan the benefit of the doubt for a bit to see what he's going to do. 5 months is a long time for the most part, so the fact that he hasn't done anything in three days isn't bothering me. if in 5 months we don't see any changes, then maybe I'll be a bit cranky.

I do expect to see a new coach that will pay to the strengths of the team, as well as [buzz word!] apply some accountability to everyone

I do expect some of the scouting to be addressed (probably after the draft. no team really is going to let their scouts go somewhere else 2.5 months until the drat).

I do expect that sooner or later Shanny's going to bring in his own guys. (and that's why I think whoever becomes coach is very important. I think if it's a guy like Laviolette or "Insert big Hockey Name Here." vs Jeff Blashill or "Insert a Rookie/Chance (Dineen) guy here" we'll see where the direction is going to go. I feel that a very strong NHL presence (excluding the coaches that are amazing and are free agents) means that they are going to give this team one more chance - along with some fat culling), and see what's up.

If it's a new guy (especially like a Rookie coach) - to me it will signal that a rebuild of some kind is going to be on the way, and you don't hire a Rookie guy unless you're planning on bringing in some more help. (that will exclude Nonis at one point).

So Shanny - i'm all willing to give him the benefit of the doubt.

Nonis - just sounds deluded and stupid. Everyone was telling the team from management down that they looked wrong when they were winning. and NOW they keep saying oh yah but we said, but we knew we had work: no. your job is to do the work. why couldn't you do the work? because you gave out stupid contracts and capstrapped the team.

everyone and their mother kept telling you about how all the elevated stats were showing how hot garbage the team was on aspects that = more wins, and he's like "Oh. well we have our own way of calculating success." well don't market it because it'll fail.

if you remember almost everything Nonis said, and then listen to the Shanahan presser + interviews,, Shanny undercuts a lot of that noise, especially the "well I have an open mind. if someone presents with other options of evaluation, like corsi etc, and you choose not to do them, then that makes you ignorant" (paraphrase) comment.

And - more importantly. I do not think that Shanny with his job in the NHL would quit (and the rumours were saying he was being groomed for bigger and better things there), to be the figurehead of MLSE.

I'd rather him take the time and get it right, then to be all

AWESOME.gif

I haven't heard the interview yet for myself and I should have probably have said nothing until I did because people on here tend to take a neutral comment and make it seem incredibly negative or make it seem like the meaning is much more obvious than it really is.

CelticDruid

Oct 23, 2013
Penticton , BC
You guys know -it- all don't you!

Bunch of whiners, constantly complaining about everything. Next season you will be praising the guys that you complain about this year,

Faltorvo

Feb 18, 2008

Bunch of whiners, constantly complaining about everything. Next season you will be praising the guys that you complain about this year,

45 posts and you truck this clap trap out?

welcome iggy, I deem you unworthy.

Mystifo

No more Mr.FightGuy
May 26, 2011
YYT

Start the clock to see how long it takes for them to turn on Shanahan.

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
Brendan Shanahan: It won't be without failure. If you like the path that you are on, you have to have a 30,000 foot perspective. In spite of this mistake and that decision, we're going to continue down that path. I have felt my entire life that sometimes really good players have bad seasons and sometimes really good teams have bad seasons. I have been with too many and seen too many astute executives get told by a lot of people to blow it up, rebuild and they don't. They tinker with it, improve it, and then they have success. That's our hope and that's our goal.

That's what we want to hear.

hockeywiz542

May 26, 2008
Hey guys,

Toronto Star sports columnist Dave Feschuk reports on what he learned at the Brendan Shanahan press conference. I think that Dave Feschuk makes some very valid and interesting observations regarding how Tim Leiweke and Brendan Shanahan may manage the Toronto Maple Leafs.

http://www.thestar.com/sports/leafs...on_provides_few_concrete_answers_feschuk.html

Given the Leafs aren’t brimming with NHL-ready prospects in the minors, there is no easy answer here.

Nazem Kadri, the Leafs centreman, said that when Shanahan addressed the players on Monday, the new president “wanted to introduce himself and make sure that we understand that there’s going to be some changes made, and it’s all for the better of this organization.”

Maybe those changes will be for the better. But the franchise DNA of chronic impatience, currently embodied by Leiweke’s frenetic crisis management, suggests more rash moves will be in the offing. Shanahan, in working for Leiweke, will feel pressure to make it happen fast, and make a splash as he does it.

Leiweke was crowing about how Shanahan, as a Hall of Famer, would do wonders when it comes for “recruiting free agents."

No matter that the Leafs have repeatedly learned that building through free agency is perilous — see: Clarkson — a full-scale teardown isn’t in Leiweke’s plan. “I don’t think anyone said ‘rebuild’ today,” Leiweke said Monday. Added the new president: “Winning is a very simple solution to so many different problems.”

So that’s the Shanaplan.

Win immediately and forever quiet the eternal crankiness of a fan base that, unlike the new man in town, doesn’t need any further study to know a mess when it sees it.

Guy Boucher

Oct 22, 2008
Hope_Smoke ‏@Hope_Smoke 6h
Shanahan with Paul Hendrick on the Leafs official site "There are some good pieces here. Sometimes pieces are misused or mismanaged"

Shanahan "I think that any team is a mosaic and they're all different. When one wins everyone tries to copy them."

Shanahan "you need to find what works for you and stick with it"

Music to my ears.

HEAVY DUTY

Thanks to denial, I’m immortal.
Jul 10, 2010
Toronto, ON
Shanahan with Paul Hendrick on the Leafs official site "There are some good pieces here. Sometimes pieces are misused or mismanaged"

Shanahan "I think that any team is a mosaic and they're all different. When one wins everyone tries to copy them."

Shanahan "you need to find what works for you and stick with it"

Music to my ears.

heh, sounds like carlyle is about to be... Shanacanned! :yo:

hfman

Oct 30, 2013
just watching the playoffs tonight, and seeing the passion and dedication in all the teams makes it so much more painfully evident - that we in Toronto have a f-ing loser hockey team. They just ran a clip on all-time greatest round 1 comebacks.. sure enough Leafs/Bruins are in there at the top. Only in Toronto can you have a loser hockey team that has played just 7 playoff games in 11 years and sure enough in one of those 7 games they recorded the most famous collpase in NHL history. Only in Toronto folks. We're part of a losing culture in this city; we have a losing hockey franchise that's dead in the water, and has been dead in the water since the 1960s. Sad, sad..........sad. Management comes in, they go out, they come in, they go out.. but it doesnt matter becuase the leafs are still the biggest joke out of all 30 teams in the league. Been that way for most of our lives.

Shanahan? Whats to be excited about? What makes anyone think that in 50 years, THIS is the turning point? Why? Isn't he just another suit that will report to the board and do as they say, just like all the suits before him?

Why is this one any different? Why was this announced right after elimination? Why not weeks before? Or weeks/months after? oh thats right. to distract everyone and make them forget about being eliminated in such pathetic fashion again. So we can all say "hey next year looks bright folks"...

seen it before. many. many. many times. round she goes boys.

round she goes.

Ari91

Nov 24, 2010
Toronto
just watching the playoffs tonight, and seeing the passion and dedication in all the teams makes it so much more painfully evident - that we in Toronto have a f-ing loser hockey team. They just ran a clip on all-time greatest round 1 comebacks.. sure enough Leafs/Bruins are in there at the top. Only in Toronto can you have a loser hockey team that has played just 7 playoff games in 11 years and sure enough in one of those 7 games they recorded the most famous collpase in NHL history. Only in Toronto folks. We're part of a losing culture in this city; we have a losing hockey franchise that's dead in the water, and has been dead in the water since the 1960s. Sad, sad..........sad. Management comes in, they go out, they come in, they go out.. but it doesnt matter becuase the leafs are still the biggest joke out of all 30 teams in the league. Been that way for most of our lives.

Shanahan? Whats to be excited about? What makes anyone think that in 50 years, THIS is the turning point? Why? Isn't he just another suit that will report to the board and do as they say, just like all the suits before him?

Why is this one any different? Why was this announced right after elimination? Why not weeks before? Or weeks/months after? oh thats right. to distract everyone and make them forget about being eliminated in such pathetic fashion again. So we can all say "hey next year looks bright folks"...

seen it before. many. many. many times. round she goes boys.

round she goes.

You know what? Just quit the team then. If you think that even in change there is no change then what the hell are you wasting your time for following this team? It's an honest to God real question I'm asking here. It sounds insane and downright stupid that anyone would resign themselves to believing that something will never change yet they keep going back for disappointment.

I guess you didn't read anything but the headline that said Shanahan was hired. They couldn't have done the hiring before the end of season because Shanahan was occupying a position with the NHL and it would have been a conflict of interest. Makes no sense to wait a week or longer after the season to do the hiring either because if the guy is supposed to have a say in operations, he needs as much time as possible to evaluate everything, especially with the draft around the corner.

Like I said in another thread, this may not work out but don't think you're going to look like a genius because you choose to be an extreme cynic. Leafs are stuck in no man's land so change can only lean one of two ways.

hfman

Oct 30, 2013
Leafs are stuck in no man's land so change can only lean one of two ways.

leafs have been in no man's land for 50 years. and this years playoffs is a reminder of just how bottom feeding this franchise is. watched montreal last night and realized that even though they've been mediocre for a long time as well, they at least provide some excitement and make the playoffs every now and then. They have a decent team from season to season. The Leafs? 7 playoff games in 11 years. And we know how that rare treat ended. How bad is that, really? Some guys in here are 11 years older since the last time the leafs won a playoff series. Some guys have families and kids now. Thats a long, long time. We've had other "presidents" who came and went - Dryden for one - but then he left the position to go into politics instead - i don't know whether to laugh or cry. We just keep sitting on the sidelines and watch all these teams coming around full circle - during this 50 year drought we've seen teams like tampa bay suck, then win a cup, then suck, then be back in the race again this year. Teams like Anaheim sucked, then won a cup, then sucked, and are now competing again. Detroit keeps on winning. Pittsburgh. Chicago. On it goes. I was watching Tampa Bay last night and thought "hey, they're back in it again - I remember when they won that cup years ago".. well when they won the cup long time ago, the leafs sucked - and then when tampa bay disappeared for a while and became a bad team - the leafs still sucked - and now that tampa bay is back and competing again - the leafs still suck. All these teams have progressed over the years/decades. The Leafs? Suck. suck. suck. All the other teams are running laps around them. Other teams go into rebuilds, but then come alive again a few years later as they should- but the leafs just keep sucking and never ever surface. Tweak this and rebuild that it doesn't matter, the team is still just debris scattered everywhere. And to have this situation happen in one of the largest hockey markets on the planet is a great oxymoron to say the least, it's barely comprehensible. Something has been fundamantally wrong with the team's ownership over the decades and it's passed on from owner to owner. It never gets better. Not yet anyways.

Is Shanahan all of a sudden the savior here to turn around 50 years of comedy? Is he the new Cliff Fletcher of the 2010s? Don't know. Doubt it, with the way this franchise is being operated. He still has to report to "the board" like everyone else. And "the board" doesn't know if the Leafs are a hockey team or a curling team.. they're too busy watching their investments

Last edited:

William Hylander

There can be only 1
Aug 17, 2009
This management is kidding itself if it thinks a retool will do anything for this team. When your a historically bad team at allowing shots on goal, you obviously have a huge problem.

If there is no significant personnel change, we will be in the exact same position come playoff time next season. This interview sounds like Shanahan is willing to sit on his rump with Nonis by his side.

ACC1224

Aug 19, 2002
This management is kidding itself if it thinks a retool will do anything for this team. When your a historically bad team at allowing shots on goal, you obviously have a huge problem.

If there is no significant personnel change, we will be in the exact same position come playoff time next season. This interview sounds like Shanahan is willing to sit on his rump with Nonis by his side.

Instilling a work ethic is probably the easiest change a Team can make.

Daisy Jane

everything is gonna be okay!
Jul 2, 2009
the reason why it was done (after the regular season - not after elimination) was to give Shanahan two months to get up to speed and have a plan for draft weekend & UFA season. Had he been hired after the stanley cup - that's less than 2 weeks to plan.

2 months. vs. 2 weeks.

but sure. we'll go with the bright and shiny defense.

hfman

Oct 30, 2013
you would think that at some point in time, change would have to occur. but complacency doesnt initiate change. so what would trigger it. empty/unpurchased seats is all i can think of. or greed maybe? theres lots of that in this ownership yet they dont seem greedy enough because if they were then they'd shoot for the playoffs where they could double their profits. makes no sense. when i say change i mean it in the sense that all of a sudden, someone, somewhere in this organization will all of a sudden "care" and try to put forth a movement to dedicate resources to assembling even a *half-decent* team.. one that can make the playoffs even every 5 years or so. and to do that you need to put the proper guys into management who can do the assembling. now we have one guy - shanahan in place - now all of a sudden everything's good again. theres lots more than just him running the team.

change has to happen at some point. but 50 years of complacency indicates that change may just never happen. but lets say it does happen. when, and why will it happen?

is this the turning point? bringing in brendan shanahan? is he the one guy that all of a sudden will halt this 50-year old freight train of failure and turn it all around? I just don't see it.

Daisy Jane

Jul 2, 2009
I don't think that it was almost 50 years of complacency.

The Ballard Years - that [bad word, bad word] didn't flat out care about the team and wanted to make money, and not spend a dime.

Burns & Quinn era the teams were competitive. Now - were they remiss in not drafting properly. Yes. Were they complacent, no. Players that would have put them over the top weren't signing in Canada due to the Canadian peso at the time.

The JFJ/Peddie era. In all honesty, Peddie had to have been Ballard's long lost kid or something, because all he cared was about making money. again - complacency isn't the word I'd use. Being freaking stupid and idiotic - yes, but complacent? No. Peddie wanted to make money even when JFJ flat out said "this is how things are going to be after the lockout, this is how we'll look good." and he was told, "just get us to the playoffs."

Burke Era: i don't think you can use the word complacent here. (I'll refrain of the word I'd use apparently, I'm wrong in my assessment of Burke). but he was also impatient.

Nonis: was too slow.

again - the fact that people still believe that a cash cow machine like MLSE think they'll just be happy with 3 home games in the playoffs, in and out makes no sense and it just fits into this whole narrative that y'all want to believe. I think that impatience ruined this team, I think stupidity has ruined this team, but complacency - not the word I'd slap on the team.

So i find it hilarious that people are upset that instead of having a guy rushing in and declaring "I'm going to fix everything!!!" says "I'm going to take my time and see exactly what I can do to help." is getting labeled complacent. Because In my opinion - it's not just the team on the ice - it's the present (the Leafs) the present future [Marlies] the future, future (drafting), and the identity we want to give to the League.

that's not going to be a "poof! Presto-Changeo!" situation.

hfman

Oct 30, 2013
So i find it hilarious that people are upset that instead of having a guy rushing in and declaring "I'm going to fix everything!!!" says "I'm going to take my time and see exactly what I can do to help." is getting labeled complacent. Because In my opinion - it's not just the team on the ice - it's the present (the Leafs) the present future [Marlies] the future, future (drafting), and the identity we want to give to the League.

that's not going to be a "poof! Presto-Changeo!" situation.
... what are you not seeing.. we were in this identical spot years ago when fletcher came back and brought in burke... we were in the tank and said 'the future is bright, and we are going to "rebuild/retool/whatever lame catchword we want to use" and become a competitive team soon...but nothing ever happened except 7 or 8 more years of the same old losing culture... and here we are again.. with a new guy again... "we are going to sit down and patiently look at our team and what we need to do to get better for the future"... its like man i already saw this movie back when burke was hired... now it's just on repeat... and when the movie's done we STILL have a dumpster bin hockey team...

you're acting like you havent seen all this before... maybe you havent, don't know your age... but we've seen this show before.. and what will we all say when brendan is running for ontario premier in 5 years or he's fired or move on to some other role even further behind the scenes and some new guy takes his place.. then that new guy comes in and says "we're re-evaluating our team and will do what is necessary to become a competitive hockey club"... it's like this whole thing can be rewinded or fast-forwarded; we already know the storyline from start to finish... the hockey team will still be in in the bottom 5 at the end of this movie guys... unless like i said someone somewhere can force a change.. hey who knows maybe it's brendan

ACC1224

Aug 19, 2002
... what are you not seeing.. we were in this identical spot years ago when fletcher came back and brought in burke... we were in the tank and said 'the future is bright, and we are going to "rebuild/retool/whatever lame catchword we want to use" and become a competitive team soon...but nothing ever happened except 7 or 8 more years of the same old losing culture... and here we are again.. with a new guy again... "we are going to sit down and patiently look at our team and what we need to do to get better for the future"... its like man i already saw this movie back when burke was hired... now it's just on repeat... and when the movie's done we STILL have a dumpster bin hockey team...

you're acting like you havent seen all this before... maybe you havent, don't know your age... but we've seen this show before.. and what will we all say when brendan is running for ontario premier in 5 years or he's fired or move on to some other role even further behind the scenes and some new guy takes his place.. then that new guy comes in and says "we're re-evaluating our team and will do what is necessary to become a competitive hockey club"... it's like this whole thing can be rewinded or fast-forwarded; we already know the storyline from start to finish... the hockey team will still be in in the bottom 5 at the end of this movie guys... unless like i said someone somewhere can force a change.. hey who knows maybe it's brendan

You're right in the sense that they were impatient with Burke and if they show the same impatience with Shanahan things will most likely remain the same.

Daisy Jane

Jul 2, 2009
You're right in the sense that they were impatient with Burke and if they show the same impatience with Shanahan things will most likely remain the same.

Right.
Let Shanny do something before we declare it more of the same.

hfman

Oct 30, 2013
you'd think that sooner or later the tide would have to change, even if it takes 50 years. other teams have changed. Chicago sucked for 20 years before they re-surfaced. And I think that happened as a result of a management change; the new owners cared to win. But the Leafs go through new owners a little more frequently, but the same problems gets passed from ownership to ownership with this franchise, it's like they're floating on the clouds way above the hockey team, and never really looking down to see what's happening on the ice, their heads are always in the clouds with their concentration focused anywhere else other than the well being of the Leafs. its like working for a huge corporation thats so big, no one knows who's running it or who's in charge, and the employees on the floor sit around scratching their heads every day asking "how does this company make any money with the way they operate?" Been there before. Seems to be the same way with the Leafs. No one knows who's really steering the ship, almost seems like no one's in charge, only that a few guys have "prominent" positions that are good for the cameras but they as well are just passengers onboard this huge money making machine with little ability to steer it.

This is either the turning point with Shanahan or it isn't. But everyone's waiting with renewed hope to see. Which keeps us all hooked again. Just like every year. Is this all a genuine change in management to finally turn the tide or is it another PR move to keep everyone hooked on the same old failed product

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad