TSN Radio Leafs Lunch interviews Brendan Shanahan and Dave Nonis (April 14, 2014)

hockeywiz542

May 26, 2008
TSN 1050: Leafs Lunch: April 14 - Dave Nonis

‎April 14, 2014

http://iphone.tsn.ca/tsnpodcasts/LL_DaveNonis_Apr14.mp3

Here is a partial transcript of the Dave Nonis interview:

http://mapleleafshotstove.com/2014/04/14/dave-nonis/

Leafs Lunch: We mention of course the cap era, we are well aware of it. You guys have about 49 million committed to 12 players going into next season. With that being the case, in the cap era, how much change really can happen in the course of one off season?

Dave Nonis: Well it’s funny in the cap era that’s a lot of money. A lot of money available it’s not a little. You it’s, look at a lot of teams that may have zero available or cap hits for bonuses that are going to come off next year. So there’s opportunities for us umm there’s opportunities for us to add people, there’s opportunities for us to move people that have fairly significant contracts but we’re not starting with 2 million dollars in cap space which is nice. It’s difficult when you’re right up against it, having the cap go up, we don’t know what the number’s going to be yet but we have contracts that are burning off, we have some penalties that are burning off as well that are going to give us some more room ummm you know we have to find ways of spending that money wisely.

Leafs Lunch: Last one, after you signed Clarkson you said you weren’t worried about ears 6 and 7, you were worried about year 1. We know what happened in year 1 not only with him but with the team. Was there too much focus or expectation with this team and are you going to take a step back and say considering what happened we have to think more long term.

Dave Nonis: I don’t think we have to think more long term than we have. uhh You know again every move in terms of giving up assets that we have have been players that are young, uhh have time to spend with us you know. Trading a 2nd for Bernier wasn’t giving up a pick for an old goal tender it was trying to think long term. Not moving our 1st round pick at the deadline when that was what it would take to get a player like Vanek uhh that was something we chose not to do. ummm Historically one of the problems with this organisation has been succumbing to the pressure of the now and not thinking about the long term so..umm..I think.. you know our group was committed to the long term success and, and as painful as you know, you might feel along the way uhh if we’re going to have any true success it’s going to be with long term thinking not thinking about next year or the year after.

TSN 1050: Leafs Lunch: April 14 - Brendan Shanahan

April 14, 20‎14

http://iphone.tsn.ca/tsnpodcasts/LL_BrendanShanahan_Apr14.mp3

Brendan Shanahan: It won't be without failure. If you like the path that you are on, you have to have a 30,000 foot perspective. In spite of this mistake and that decision, we're going to continue down that path. I have felt my entire life that sometimes really good players have bad seasons and sometimes really good teams have bad seasons. I have been with too many and seen too many astute executives get told by a lot of people to blow it up, rebuild and they don't. They tinker with it, improve it, and then they have success. That's our hope and that's our goal.

Last edited:

nidnus13

Oct 29, 2010
Calgary

Rare Jewel

Patience
Jan 11, 2007
Leaf Land
I think we will suck arse for a loooooooong time. :cry:

If we're bad next year it's not the worst year to do so. I hope we can make the playoffs, But we'll have to see.

Leiweke in the key in all this, If he does take off in the next year to 18 months as some are speculating, Then everything is on the table.

Personally, I don't really want us to be bad during the centennial season. I think it's important to competitive by then

Wami

Chicken Lyfe'
Mar 8, 2013
Wow, after listening to the interview with Nonis I've got to say, those radio hosts sure know how to collectively suck a pair of balls.

From Nonis's standpoint, it literally sounds like he believed this year was a fluke, and that the players didn't buy into Carlyle's system - whereas they did last year and that's what brought them success. If Nonis calls the shots on this one, I now have a legitimate fear that he will keep Carlyle while only making a few minor personnel changes.

613Leafer

May 26, 2008
Wow, after listening to the interview with Nonis I've got to say, those radio hosts sure know how to collectively suck a pair of balls.

From Nonis's standpoint, it literally sounds like he believed this year was a fluke, and that the players didn't buy into Carlyle's system - whereas they did last year and that's what brought them success. If Nonis calls the shots on this one, I now have a legitimate fear that he will keep Carlyle while only making a few minor personnel changes.

Yep. Everythings a fluke. If it wasnt a fluke, Nonis would have to admit that he and Burke screwed up building this team and that to change course at this point would require a massive step backwards. Which this team might actually require mind you, if we want to be contenders 4-5 years from now, thats the way with the best odds IMO of getting there. But dont expect Nonis to admit the team he built isnt a good one.

Heck, we make the playoffs once and lose in the first round, and that with a core predominently in their primes, and people start acting like we're a great young up and coming team...we're not. Rielly is our only potential core core player under the age of 24. We're not Colorado with Duchene, Landeskog, ROR, MacKinnon, etc. Kessel, Phaneuf, Lupul, Bozak, JVR, Gardiner, etc for the most part are comparable to the ages of the top 5-6 players from most current SC contending teams.

nidnus13

Oct 29, 2010
Calgary

This is exactly how i feel.

nidnus13

Oct 29, 2010
Calgary
Yep. Everythings a fluke. If it wasnt a fluke, Nonis would have to admit that he and Burke screwed up building this team and that to change course at this point would require a massive step backwards. Which this team might actually require mind you, if we want to be contenders 4-5 years from now, thats the way with the best odds IMO of getting there. But dont expect Nonis to admit the team he built isnt a good one.

Heck, we make the playoffs once and lose in the first round, and that with a core predominently in their primes, and people start acting like we're a great young up and coming team...we're not. Rielly is our only potential core core player under the age of 24. We're not Colorado with Duchene, Landeskog, ROR, MacKinnon, etc. Kessel, Phaneuf, Lupul, Bozak, JVR, Gardiner, etc for the most part are comparable to the ages of the top 5-6 players from most current SC contending teams.

This too

leafsfuture

Mar 30, 2008
Nonis isnt Brian Burke.

Doesnt have the charisma, doesnt have the experience, doesnt have the same smarts. Everyone was all ok with Nonis because he was the key cog in some of the big blockbuster deals. But for every good move he publicly gets credit for, as an assistant, your mistakes are never going to be public.

Burke would have never bought out Grabo. He would have re-signed Macarthur, and even if he wanted to, he couldnt have been thus able to sign Clarkson.

Hopefully Shanahan can change things

Semantics

PUBLIC ENEMY #1
Jan 3, 2007
San Francisco
Burke would have never bought out Grabo. He would have re-signed Macarthur, and even if he wanted to, he couldnt have been thus able to sign Clarkson.

And even if Burke could sign Clarkson and wanted to, he wouldn't have given him a 7 year term and NMC. Burke didn't believe in contracts over 5 years, and he didn't believe in no trade clauses. Nonis is handing out these things like candy on halloween.

MuchoMacho

Jul 19, 2009
Penalty Box

Did you miss the Shanahan quote?

Brendan Shanahan: It won't be without failure. If you like the path that you are on, you have to have a 30,000 foot perspective. In spite of this mistake and that decision, we're going to continue down that path. I have felt my entire life that sometimes really good players have bad seasons and sometimes really good teams have bad seasons. I have been with too many and seen too many astute executives get told by a lot of people to blow it up, rebuild and they don't. They tinker with it, improve it, and then they have success. That's our hope and that's our goal.

Wami

Chicken Lyfe'
Mar 8, 2013
416Leafer said:

That's exactly how I feel too

Wami

Chicken Lyfe'
Mar 8, 2013
Nonis isnt Brian Burke.

Doesnt have the charisma, doesnt have the experience, doesnt have the same smarts. Everyone was all ok with Nonis because he was the key cog in some of the big blockbuster deals. But for every good move he publicly gets credit for, as an assistant, your mistakes are never going to be public.

This too

johnny_rudeboy

Mar 20, 2006
Karlstad
After that Shanahan quote I now think he was just a PR hire to ease the fans worries.

It does not take a genius to see that this team have failed 3 years in a row because it lacks a spine and an ability to stick to a system of play.

The path we are on leads to no where.

Al14

Jul 13, 2007
After that Shanahan quote I now think he was just a PR hire to ease the fans worries.

It does not take a genius to see that this team have failed 3 years in a row because it lacks a spine and an ability to stick to a system of play.

Not true!!! :shakehead

The path we're on leads to... MEDIOCRITY! :help:

Shanahan HAS to LEAD us out of this FUNK of LOSING we're stuck in! :nod:

If BIG changes aren't made, then, we'll be stuck with a LOSING to MEDIOCRE cycle for the foreseeable future. :p:

johnny_rudeboy

Mar 20, 2006
Karlstad
Not true!!! :shakehead

The path we're on leads to... MEDIOCRITY! :help:

Shanahan HAS to LEAD us out of this FUNK of LOSING we're stuck in! :nod:

If BIG changes aren't made, then, we'll be stuck with a LOSING to MEDIOCRE cycle for the foreseeable future. :p:

Yeah ok, mediocrity.

But it was not encouraging to hear what Shanahan had to say. Hopefully he is just talking nice until he have reviewed everyone but this team is far from a few tweaks away to be good.

HamiltonNHL

Parity era hockey is just puck luck + draft luck
Jan 4, 2012
Did you miss the Shanahan quote?

Uh Oh.
I guess finishing 12th in the East isn't low enough to trigger a rebuild.

Adding more management might be just adding bloat.

But it was not encouraging to hear what Shanahan had to say. Hopefully he is just talking nice until he have reviewed everyone but this team is far from a few tweaks away to be good.

Please be true.

diceman934

Help is on the way.
Jul 31, 2010
NHL player factory
And even if Burke could sign Clarkson and wanted to, he wouldn't have given him a 7 year term and NMC. Burke didn't believe in contracts over 5 years, and he didn't believe in no trade clauses. Nonis is handing out these things like candy on halloween.

Like Komi no movement clause? Please Burke got us into this mess and we will be paying for it for a while yet! Grabo contract was horrible as is Clarksons.

Ari91

Nov 24, 2010
Toronto
So the excerpts in here sound like they aren't suggesting many changes and instead staying the course? What the hell is the course? If we stay the Burke/Nonis course then the only way the Leafs get themselves out of this mess is if they land an amazing draft pick and I don't trust our scouting staff to pull that off.

Staying the course doesn't even get me excited for a basement finish. Staying the course means finishing in the middle of the pack with no playoffs or high draft pick to show for it. Shanahan better be paying lip service right now because for someone who says that he needs to evaluate everything, he can't be so convinced of this path so soon.

egd27

Donec nunc annum
Sponsor
Jul 8, 2011
GTA

Nope, didn't believe in long contracts that circumvented the cap. He had no issue with longer term deals.

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/spor...burke-sounds-off-on-kovalchuk/article1369360/

The term isn’t the issue. Mike Richards’ deal and Rick DiPietro’s deal -- there’s no issue there. There’s no back diving, there’s no cap saving and they’re guys that can be reasonably expected to play until that point in time.

Daisy Jane

everything is gonna be okay!
Jul 2, 2009
I'm going to play the optimist devils advocate right now.

Right now we're still very upset and "blow everything up!" [even though we think it may or may not be true]. I think we can all agree that most of our assets aren't that very valuable, and those that do have some weight to them, we don't want to trade right away (Gardiner, Kadri) or at all (Bernier, Rielly) [and/or insert your particular guy here, say like JVR etc]

So. unlike some markets (Buffalo, Florida, the Islanders) that can go, yah we're going to start selling everyone off and get some pieces, the Leafs can't do that because we WILL be undersold. Also - Shanahan said constantly, he can't come in and just 'say' things, he needs to work and assess things. That doesn't mean he won't start blowing things up - he's just not going to say so as of yet.

I am willing to give Shanahan the benefit of the doubt for a bit to see what he's going to do. 5 months is a long time for the most part, so the fact that he hasn't done anything in three days isn't bothering me. if in 5 months we don't see any changes, then maybe I'll be a bit cranky.

I do expect to see a new coach that will pay to the strengths of the team, as well as [buzz word!] apply some accountability to everyone

I do expect some of the scouting to be addressed (probably after the draft. no team really is going to let their scouts go somewhere else 2.5 months until the drat).

I do expect that sooner or later Shanny's going to bring in his own guys. (and that's why I think whoever becomes coach is very important. I think if it's a guy like Laviolette or "Insert big Hockey Name Here." vs Jeff Blashill or "Insert a Rookie/Chance (Dineen) guy here" we'll see where the direction is going to go. I feel that a very strong NHL presence (excluding the coaches that are amazing and are free agents) means that they are going to give this team one more chance - along with some fat culling), and see what's up.

If it's a new guy (especially like a Rookie coach) - to me it will signal that a rebuild of some kind is going to be on the way, and you don't hire a Rookie guy unless you're planning on bringing in some more help. (that will exclude Nonis at one point).

So Shanny - i'm all willing to give him the benefit of the doubt.

Nonis - just sounds deluded and stupid. Everyone was telling the team from management down that they looked wrong when they were winning. and NOW they keep saying oh yah but we said, but we knew we had work: no. your job is to do the work. why couldn't you do the work? because you gave out stupid contracts and capstrapped the team.

everyone and their mother kept telling you about how all the elevated stats were showing how hot garbage the team was on aspects that = more wins, and he's like "Oh. well we have our own way of calculating success." well don't market it because it'll fail.

if you remember almost everything Nonis said, and then listen to the Shanahan presser + interviews,, Shanny undercuts a lot of that noise, especially the "well I have an open mind. if someone presents with other options of evaluation, like corsi etc, and you choose not to do them, then that makes you ignorant" (paraphrase) comment.

And - more importantly. I do not think that Shanny with his job in the NHL would quit (and the rumours were saying he was being groomed for bigger and better things there), to be the figurehead of MLSE.

I'd rather him take the time and get it right, then to be all

AWESOME.gif

BooRadley

Aug 7, 2007
Nonis isnt Brian Burke.

Burke also would've traded Kadri and Bozak for Luongo.

Trapper

Nov 21, 2013
Yeah ok, mediocrity.

I am confident that if this core is flawed, if Phaneuf is not the no. 1 defenseman people claim, that if we are soft and loaded with 1-way players who refuse to get dirty to win, we will suffer another epic collapse and Shanahan will be witness. Then tell us what you think? Was it a bad year or bad team. If I'm wrong, then we can only get better than what the last 7 of 8 years showed, right?

Trapper

Nov 21, 2013
Yeah ok, mediocrity.

I think we could also be taking what Shanahan is saying the wrong way.
When I think of blowing the team up, that means, Kessel,JVR,Gardiner,Bozak,Phaneuf, everybody is traded on draft day.
Thats not going to happen.
We can't say for sure what Shanny means by tinker. That could involve Lupul,Franson,player X being moved out, it could be Phaneuf,Kadri changed out or whatever. It could be a leadership core change. Thats a tinker to improve what you believe is lacking.

Daisy Jane

everything is gonna be okay!
Jul 2, 2009
I think we could also be taking what Shanahan is saying the wrong way.
When I think of blowing the team up, that means, Kessel,JVR,Gardiner,Bozak,Phaneuf, everybody is traded on draft day.
Thats not going to happen.
We can't say for sure what Shanny means by tinker. That could involve Lupul,Franson,player X being moved out, it could be Phaneuf,Kadri changed out or whatever. It could be a leadership core change. Thats a tinker to improve what you believe is lacking.

:nod:

this is why i think we have to give him a chance

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad