Not open for further replies.

kamosko

Ginger Jesus
Jun 18, 2010
Girouxsalem
iFF2iwM.jpg

:laugh:

Chandrashekhar Limit

From the runaway slave to a modern day king.
Apr 2, 2009
Milky Way
Really.

I had no idea.

What part of Asia?

Arranged marriages are, or at least were, the most common form of marriages in the sub-continent. Usually, the girls side looks for males who are either rich, or well educated (engineer/doctor/high potential govt office). In most cases, the two qualities are mutually inclusive (exception would be an honest govt officer).

The landscape is dramatically changing now though. I consider my family to be pretty conservative, and 5 of my 7 cousins got married to their sweethearts.

LM, 85 is pretty good, but you should really try and improve that if you can. 90's almost guarantees you every program in every school (except for crazies like Eng Sci @ U of T, Health Sci @ McMaster). 85 does not. My friends with 85's got into U of T eng, but not Waterloo eng. That depends on the year though. And the uni might not make a big difference, but again 90 keeps all of your options open. Additionally, most universities have 2 levels of scholarships - level 1 from 85+, and level 2 from 90+. Getting a 90 probably bags you some extra cash which will be VERY valuable when you are a student (unless your parents are loaded :P).

And to be very honest, the different between 85 and 90 in high school is not more than an additional hour of studying everyday. That work will pay off not only during your application process, but later on in Uni, where an understanding of high school basics is absolutely crucial.

Kyle93

Mar 30, 2012
Arranged marriages are, or at least were, the most common form of marriages in the sub-continent. Usually, the girls side looks for males who are either rich, or well educated (engineer/doctor/high potential govt office). In most cases, the two qualities are mutually inclusive (exception would be an honest govt officer).

The landscape is dramatically changing now though. I consider my family to be pretty conservative, and 5 of my 7 cousins got married to their sweethearts.

LM, 85 is pretty good, but you should really try and improve that if you can. 90's almost guarantees you every program in every school (except for crazies like Eng Sci @ U of T, Health Sci @ McMaster). 85 does not. My friends with 85's got into U of T eng, but not Waterloo eng. That depends on the year though. And the uni might not make a big difference, but again 90 keeps all of your options open. Additionally, most universities have 2 levels of scholarships - level 1 from 85+, and level 2 from 90+. Getting a 90 probably bags you some extra cash which will be VERY valuable when you are a student (unless your parents are loaded :P).

And to be very honest, the different between 85 and 90 in high school is not more than an additional hour of studying everyday. That work will pay off not only during your application process, but later on in Uni, where an understanding of high school basics is absolutely crucial.
An extra hour of studying in highschool? Hell I didn't do homework or study but still got mid to high 80's lol.

Kyle93

Mar 30, 2012
Kano I'm just seeing what Wilson's doing. Meet me in the Dressing room if you want though.

Alerion

Dec 24, 2012
Halifax, NS
Mooseheads up 3-0 after one, Drouin with 3 assists, MacKinnon with a goal and an assist, Frk with a goal and an assist :D

LeafsMonster

Marlanderthews
Feb 3, 2012
Toronto

Yeah i know, but I'm pretty sure I'll be fine with an 85. My sisters got in to UofT with a 75. And lets be honest, everyone goofs off in the first two years of high school and unis don't even look at grade 10 marks.

Hurt

Apr 6, 2009
Yeah i know, but I'm pretty sure I'll be fine with an 85. My sisters got in to UofT with a 75. And lets be honest, everyone goofs off in the first two years of high school and unis don't even look at grade 10 marks.

For what? Is this the dropout? No offense, of course.:laugh:

LeafsMonster

Marlanderthews
Feb 3, 2012
Toronto
For what? Is this the dropout? No offense, of course.:laugh:

She's not a dropout, she just took two years off. And I think for some political science and history thing. But my point is you can get into a good uni with less than a 90. So many people suck in high school and get in, I'm doing well so I'm not worried about trying to get higher grades. I'll be fine.

Leaf Rocket

Leaf Fan Till I Die
Dec 10, 2007
Toronto/Fredericton

LM you're fine. Do what you want to do and run with it. I definitely gave my rents a shocker when I went from Nanotech to Journalism/Film Directing. I was acing at first in high school but health got me and was horrid in high school last two years but got into a lot of place, Uoft included. Even though in university I was sick and having a tough time as some of the posters here might know, was acing there as well in places. Cheesy and lame as it sounds, you are getting a job or going to university for YOU, not them. They want you to be an engineer/doctor for your own good but if you hate it, you'll show that hate to them and make yourself miserable.

I told my mom straight up really, I know you want me to be an engineer or something, and let's be honest I can do that but why? One is something I like and I am pursuing and the other is something I love. Which makes more sense (wish I could make the example be translated here but I dont think it'll be a good example :laugh: ) My dad on the other hand was more receptive as he is a journalist by profession and had the same process, so I was a bit lucky after getting a stern face from for a while. So I sort of lucked out.

It's really as charlio said, if you do a job you love, you really aren't doing anything or don't need to work at all. It might be a struggle for them to understand it at first but IMO it works out.

Hurt

Apr 6, 2009
Man. Must be hard growing up in families like that. My parents were always like "Do what you want as long as you're happy!" and I'm happy. But I love money and money makes me happy. :)

OmniSens

@OmniSenators
Sep 22, 2008
Ottawa
Hey LL, how are we all doing on this wonderful Sunday evening?

LM you're fine. Do what you want to do and run with it. I definitely gave my rents a shocker when I went from Nanotech to Journalism/Film Directing. I was acing at first in high school but health got me and was horrid in high school last two years but got into a lot of place, Uoft included. Even though in university I was sick and having a tough time as some of the posters here might know, was acing there as well in places. Cheesy and lame as it sounds, you are getting a job or going to university for YOU, not them. They want you to be an engineer/doctor for your own good but if you hate it, you'll show that hate to them and make yourself miserable.

I told my mom straight up really, I know you want me to be an engineer or something, and let's be honest I can do that but why? One is something I like and I am pursuing and the other is something I love. Which makes more sense (wish I could make the example be translated here but I dont think it'll be a good example :laugh: ) My dad on the other hand was more receptive as he is a journalist by profession and had the same process, so I was a bit lucky after getting a stern face from for a while. So I sort of lucked out.

It's really as charlio said, if you do a job you love, you really aren't doing anything or don't need to work at all. It might be a struggle for them to understand it at first but IMO it works out.

tl;dr

How's it going, old friend?

Leaf Rocket

Leaf Fan Till I Die
Dec 10, 2007
Toronto/Fredericton
Man. Must be hard growing up in families like that. My parents were always like "Do what you want as long as you're happy!" and I'm happy. But I love money and money makes me happy. :)

My dad's policy is, do whatever the hell you want but make sure you strive to be the best at it. I have and honestly I'm not looking back and man I've become way more motivated. I love it :laugh:

It's definitely a struggle for sure, I was very much interested in hockey as a career as well at one point but I never dared to say a word because well it's just the generation gap that happens really for some.

LeafsMonster

Marlanderthews
Feb 3, 2012
Toronto

I told my dad I wanted to be a sports journalist and he was disappointed. But trust me, that really doesn't bother me at all. I mean I don't get why people think that your only going to have a good life if you go to university and have a "respectable" job. Journalist don't get paid very well, but tbh if your doing what you love, you can compromise with luxury. Its not like you'd be starving.

At one point I wanted to go to college for journalism and just the idea of that freaked my parents out. Just going keep taking courses I like and see where it goes.

Hurt

Apr 6, 2009
I told my dad I wanted to be a sports journalist and he was disappointed. But trust me, that really doesn't bother me at all. I mean I don't get why people think that your only going to have a good life if you go to university and have a "respectable" job. Journalist don't get paid very well, but tbh if your doing what you love, you can compromise with luxury. Its not like you'd be starving.

At one point I wanted to go to college for journalism and just the idea of that freaked my parents out. Just going keep taking courses I like and see where it goes.

UofT and Centennial have a joint journalism program if you're interested in it. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad