Post-Game Talk: Leafs lose to jets in the shootout 4-3

Not My Tempo

Feb 22, 2015
Toronto
I didn’t comment on the game last night, but are we ready to talk about the fact that Andersen was a god in November, and he’s been less than stellar in every other month? This isn’t a few game stretch.

In Oct and Dec the Leafs were 13-5-3, and he had a .902 Sv% in those games. January doesn’t look good so far either.

JT AM da real deal

Oct 4, 2018
They need to extend the overtime to 10 minutes or until someone really wins, the shoot out is a skills competition and really is the wrong way to decide a game. It's a team game and that means more than 1 players 3 on 3 isn't quite a team, but it's better than 1 0n 1.
In tournaments I have seen 4on4 for 5 than 3on3 for 4 than 2on2 for 3 and finally 1on1 until game ends. It is really exciting. It is a combination of hockey and skills. Much better than a pure skill shootout which is largely a game of luck. 1on1 is still hockey. There are lots of 1on1 challenges in a 5on5 game. Maybe just me but the shootout in any sport to me you might as well flip a coin.

Reactions: Lauro

Suntouchable13

Dec 20, 2003
Toronto, ON
I didn’t comment on the game last night, but are we ready to talk about the fact that Andersen was a god in November, and he’s been less than stellar in every other month? This isn’t a few game stretch.

In Oct and Dec the Leafs were 13-5-3, and he had a .902 Sv% in those games. January doesn’t look good so far either.

I think if we look at any good goalie that is not close to hall of fame material, we see stretches like this. He is still very good but don’t expect him to be a Belfour level or Roy.

Reactions: JT AM da real deal

JT AM da real deal

Oct 4, 2018
I'm just going on record to say, I didn't think JT was that bad at all really. He possessed the puck a lot and in the first 2 periods, was strong on the puck, esp. in the O zone and won a lot of battles, of course, NOT ALL THE BATTLES. I thought we were dominant in puck possession in the first 2 periods. The miscue on the PP when they scored, well, hey that happens sometimes.

He won a lot of battles in the first 2 periods certainly. We had a lot of scoring chances in the the first 2 periods, I thought we just didn't finish but, it wasn't just JT not finishing.

I thought he did a lot of good things, and didn't see all the mistakes he must of made for people to be so critical.

edit: I thought the first goal, eh, goalie fell down, it happens; 2nd goal, JT makes a giveaway (careless) they score on the PP; the other goal, Holl, well, I wouldn't even say he was pinching in, because, there were no Jets anywhere near him in the corner, but, when he misses the pass from whoevers comin out from behind the net, they have a 4 ON 1, going the other way, SAY WHAT, we've got ALL 4 players behind theirs.
SO, 3 GOALS like that, but, that's it, I really thought that we owned the game, for the rest of it, for the most part. We really owned the game JMO.
ps: I'm not talkin about the OT or shootout, just the game, I mean.
He is going against the other teams best player every night. That is a tough assignment night in night out in pro hockey. Really what is happening is he is giving Matty time to mop up against the other teams #2. The only time it has not worked recently was against Drai. And Drai is much better than most realize. What i like about JT's game is his dogged forecheck on the puck. He is teaching Willy and Willy is responding.

CantLoseWithMatthews

Sep 28, 2015

He is what he is. Unbeatable at some points, and completely awful the rest of the time. He'll go on another hot streak eventually and finish the year as an overall above average goalie with huge peaks and valleys, just like always

Reactions: LeafsRus

JT AM da real deal

Oct 4, 2018
I think if we look at any good goalie that is not close to hall of fame material, we see stretches like this. He is still very good but don’t expect him to be a Belfour level or Roy.
Totally agreed. Look at Price. There are games he has played this year where he looks all world. and many others where you wonder why he even laced them up. It is so hard to be on every game. and in goal there is no fallback. By far toughest position to play.

JT AM da real deal

Oct 4, 2018
He is what he is. Unbeatable at some points, and completely awful the rest of the time. He'll go on another hot streak eventually and finish the year as an overall above average goalie with huge peaks and valleys, just like always
Let's hope he is on when playoffs start. This is what we need. If he can go on a 2 month tear to start playoffs give him the key to the city and fattest contract ever.

ToneDog

56 years and counting. #FireTheShanaClan!
Jun 11, 2017
Richmond Hill, ON
He is going against the other teams best player every night. That is a tough assignment night in night out in pro hockey. Really what is happening is he is giving Matty time to mop up against the other teams #2. The only time it has not worked recently was against Drai. And Drai is much better than most realize. What i like about JT's game is his dogged forecheck on the puck. He is teaching Willy and Willy is responding.

Willie on your shutdown line instead of Hyman does not seem like a recipe to succeed. Wiliie was pretty much a no-show the last two games and JT has been terrible.

JT AM da real deal

Oct 4, 2018
Willie on your shutdown line instead of Hyman does not seem like a recipe to succeed. Wiliie was pretty much a no-show the last two games and JT has been terrible.
Maybe they have been sick with flu past 2 games??? They were our best line against Isles on Saturday night. Seems really strange they would fall off the map so quick this week against Oilers and Jets don't you think??? Isles are better than both Oilers and Jets right???

Reactions: ACC1224 and ToneDog

AvroArrow

69 for Papi
Jun 10, 2011
Toronto
Yah that was a crazy OT, obv we would have liked the full reg 2 points but oh well. The start of this game was like the complete exact opposite, our goalie gave u the first goal, this game your goalie gave us the first goal. We'll try and hold off your arch nemesis tomorrow night in Boston.

One of the rare times Leaf fans will be rooting for Winnipeg

Judas Tavares

S2S (Sundin2Sandin)
Sponsor
Feb 9, 2007
Anyone else find it weird that all 6 of our OTL/SOL are at home? and that we have played 9 overtimes at home (40%) and only 2 on the road?

Clark4Ever

What we do in hockey echoes in eternity...
Oct 10, 2010
T.O.
Freddy had a Jekyll and Hyde performance, but based on the balance of play, the game should have gone to extra time anyway.

Very chippy but entertaining game, and I'm glad the boys kept fighting to get a point out of it.

Time to recharge over the next few days and get back in the winning column.

JT AM da real deal

Oct 4, 2018
Freddy had a Jekyll and Hyde performance, but based on the balance of play, the game should have gone to extra time anyway.

Very chippy but entertaining game, and I'm glad the boys kept fighting to get a point out of it.

Time to recharge over the next few days and get back in the winning column.
We need both our top lines ready to go and to play well on Sunday. It is a huge game. We can create seperation from Florida. Our schedule is really good rest of January and if we can run the table at 66 points by end of month we should be able to coast in and rest Freddy.

X66

114-110
Aug 18, 2008
This was the game in a nutshell.

Andersen needs to be better, he didn't help on any of the goals against and was directly responsible for the first goal against.

Tavares' worst game in a Leafs uniform, and it's not even close.

All 3 Jets goals were simply gift wrapped to them, and literally none of them came from our defensive zone. They were all mental mistakes.

Randy Randerson

Jul 28, 2016
Hamilton
fwiw, Moneypuck thinks that we win that game more than 75% of the time based on 1000 simulations in a model that has proven to be reasonably accurate. At least when we're losing now, it's not a deflated effort that we had no chance of coming out on top in...we won't win them all, it's nice to see us with a chance in almost all of them

MoneyPuck.com

there was more than a few games in the Babcock era that I turned off early even this season. I've done that once in the Keefe era, and I missed part of one of the best comeback wins in team history

Last edited:

6ix

HitEmWit4LikeAustonM
Nov 26, 2014
So....... what do you suggest they do? who is available that is better than Andersen.

You keep saying the same old stuff but dont mention any names

That’s exactly the problem, there isn’t anyone in our farm system ready.

Pyrophorus

Jun 1, 2009
Eastern GTA
This was the game in a nutshell.

Andersen needs to be better, he didn't help on any of the goals against and was directly responsible for the first goal against.

Tavares' worst game in a Leafs uniform, and it's not even close.

All 3 Jets goals were simply gift wrapped to them, and literally none of them came from our defensive zone. They were all mental mistakes.

Good that these two losses, were basically us losing the game and not them winning.
Keefe needs to get them sharp again. Also this could be just Freddy.

qqaz

Think Happy Thoughts
Oct 25, 2018
Fun game. Seems like Spezza has turned the clock back a bit. He looks totally capable as a #3 center right now. I'm super happy with him. Great guy to have on the team.

Keefe's line juggling has been super effective, so far. But I am worried that it will get frustrating if nithing is ever consistent. A full season of the line blender would be frustrating for the players, and could be a problem. A small concern I'm having.

tmlms13

Apr 11, 2012
Waterloo, Ontario
Not Panthers Pre game thread yet so I'll ask here.

Any explanation for why they aren't playing on Saturday? A few years ago they ended the streak of like 25 years worth. I was okay with it they were terrible send a message to MLSE get your shit together. But now that they have why are they missing Saturday games?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad