Post-Game Talk: Leafs lose to jets in the shootout 4-3

Torontonian

Jun 24, 2013
Toronto
Can't count on Andersen to make the big save - it will never happen

First goal was a total embarrassment

Could have won it in the SO, but as usual he chokes

Could have extended the SO with a save but no he chokes

I've seen Andersen make big saves many times, I'm going to to assume you don't watch many leaf games. The first goal happens sometimes, decided he didn't want to play it and stumbled, he doesn't do that often.

AM34 is a beast tho, hopefully we can see him be that dominate come playoffs.

Reactions: JT AM da real deal

WillNy29

Jun 20, 2018
Marner took away the first shot attempt and then rode him behind the net and peeled off to take Freddie's spot. When the puck that Matthew's deflected ended up by the post marner kicked it behind the net so it could be cleared up and out of the zone.

Without that first stop... there is no second and third stop. No Matthew's trying goal... no point. No nothing. Just more *****ing and moaning about how much we suck even tho we've won 15 of the last 20...
Its almost as if the two of them have an equal and insurmountable desire to win.

The whole Matthews doesn't care narrative on here was stupid to begin with; you can see with Marner how much the two of them want to drive the bus on a winning team

Reactions: The Man with a Plan

qqaz

Think Happy Thoughts
Oct 25, 2018
I'm one of the few fans that doesn't care for 3on3 overtime, and loves the shootout. But That wasn't the case for this game. OT was awesome!

hoglund

Dec 8, 2013
Canada
I'm one of the few fans that doesn't care for 3on3 overtime, and loves the shootout. But That wasn't the case for this game. OT was awesome!
They need to extend the overtime to 10 minutes or until someone really wins, the shoot out is a skills competition and really is the wrong way to decide a game. It's a team game and that means more than 1 players 3 on 3 isn't quite a team, but it's better than 1 0n 1.

Brown Dog

Jun 23, 2007
Not Freddy's best night, despite his OT heroics. Nights like this make me think we need to start planning for his successor after next year.

Mar 14, 2015
They need to extend the overtime to 10 minutes or until someone really wins, the shoot out is a skills competition and really is the wrong way to decide a game. It's a team game and that means more than 1 players 3 on 3 isn't quite a team, but it's better than 1 0n 1.
I would like it to be extended to 10min, if no goal then no one gets the winner point.

Reactions: hoglund

egd27

Donec nunc annum
Sponsor
Jul 8, 2011
GTA
Can't count on Andersen to make the big save - it will never happen

First goal was a total embarrassment

Could have won it in the SO, but as usual he chokes

Could have extended the SO with a save but no he chokes

Well aside from the 2 on 0 breakaway in OT..... Oh yeah, and the next breakaway 45 seconds later. You know, the ones where the entire crowd was chanting "Freddie, Freddie"

A take like this should not be discussing embarrassments :help:

Reactions: MyBudJT and bax

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site
He stopped a 2 on 0 and a breakaway in overtime

Comedy to start
Good in the middle
Swiss Cheese to finish

Falling going for the puck giving Ehlers and empty net goal very early putting the Leafs in the hole.
Appleton just shot through him.
The 4 on 1 ... looked like another Reimer glove side goal.
Overtime he was sensational, although Jets should have been able to finish it off.
Shootout, Wheeler said it best, he was playing deep all they had to do was shoot. One save on 4 shots.

Tavares had an off night, even in overtime he created an opportunity for the Jets.
Tavares line is off their high, need to step it up again.

Timashov, 2:49 TOI, 1 goal.

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
Should have been a regulation win, Goalie cost them a point there. Let's hope he turns it around Sunday.

Tavares was brutal, don't think I've ever seen him play so poorly.
Odd though, he was only credited with 1 giveaway. :confused:

Mitch Matthews

Sep 13, 2019
Well aside from the 2 on 0 breakaway in OT..... Oh yeah, and the next breakaway 45 seconds later. You know, the ones where the entire crowd was chanting "Freddie, Freddie"

A take like this should not be discussing embarrassments :help:
We should have won it in regulation if he makes the saves he supposed to make

Two goals on four shots, smh

Teeder Keon

Defeat does not rest lightly on their shoulders
Mar 11, 2019
Deep in the Purple jungles of BC
Overreact much?

We lost, our players are human and we move on to the next game.

Looking at your history of posting I really question if you are a legitimate fan.

In case you are, I suggest you leave the lunatic fringe and come inside with the rest of us. It’s much more enjoyable ......
Awesome man ...great post

Merrrlin

Grab the 9 iron, Barry!
Jul 2, 2019
Tough game to let slip through our fingers, but exciting hockey none-the-less.

We will need more out of Andersen and Tavares moving forward, but this team should win most games even with them playing poorly. That's exciting.

One thing is certain - we miss Muzzin. Not as much as Holl does, though.

Vaive50

Dec 24, 2015
9-1-2 in last 12

Freddy backup and sky is falling

I hear you but I think mostly everybody is just so upset at the way we lost. All 3 goals could have been avoided, we could have won by shutout. Freddy got a little careless and gift wrapped that first goal, and JT gift wrapped the next 2. Not a good response after that Edmonton loss. Now comes the big 4-point game against the Panthers, it'll mean the difference of being comfortably in divisional playoff spot by 7 points or being up only 3 points on the Panthers.

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
Not one to read other teams boards but decided to read the Jets PGT.
Lot of disillusion over there but still interesting to see another sides take on the game.

I always like Wheeler, never realized he's so classless.

Reactions: LeafSteel

egd27

Donec nunc annum
Sponsor
Jul 8, 2011
GTA
We should have won it in regulation if he makes the saves he supposed to make

Two goals on four shots, smh

A bad break on a stumble, a breakaway, and a 3 on 1......if the Leafs score on the latter 2 it's due to their magnificent offence, if the opposition does it's because the goalie is a sieve. :laugh:

Rogie

ALIVE
May 17, 2013
Kyoungsan
I'm just going on record to say, I didn't think JT was that bad at all really. He possessed the puck a lot and in the first 2 periods, was strong on the puck, esp. in the O zone and won a lot of battles, of course, NOT ALL THE BATTLES. I thought we were dominant in puck possession in the first 2 periods. The miscue on the PP when they scored, well, hey that happens sometimes.

He won a lot of battles in the first 2 periods certainly. We had a lot of scoring chances in the the first 2 periods, I thought we just didn't finish but, it wasn't just JT not finishing.

I thought he did a lot of good things, and didn't see all the mistakes he must of made for people to be so critical.

edit: I thought the first goal, eh, goalie fell down, it happens; 2nd goal, JT makes a giveaway (careless) they score on the PP; the other goal, Holl, well, I wouldn't even say he was pinching in, because, there were no Jets anywhere near him in the corner, but, when he misses the pass from whoevers comin out from behind the net, they have a 4 ON 1, going the other way, SAY WHAT, we've got ALL 4 players behind theirs.
SO, 3 GOALS like that, but, that's it, I really thought that we owned the game, for the rest of it, for the most part. We really owned the game JMO.
ps: I'm not talkin about the OT or shootout, just the game, I mean.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->