Post-Game Talk: Leafs lose to Grand Rapids Griffins; is anyone really surprised?

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
Wings fan here, I follow the Toronto board closely and know theres a big split on Reimer love/hate.

But I will say this, last night what did he do that was horrible? Nyquist is a really good young player who scored on a breakaway. Yes it trickled in awkwardly but how can you blame a goalie for a breakaway goal where the D get blown by like that? His second shot was a snipe post and in, tough to save regardless but maybe could have had it. The last goal was a 2 on 1, those arent on the goalie.

I get there is Reimer hate and everything but none of those were bad goals.

Also curious what leaf fans thought of Nyquist last night/his potential in the future?

I agree with this 100%. I understand there are Reimer haters here but it seems like they have all lost their mind. And I'm no Reimer lover, I think Bernier is unquestionably the #1 guy for the future. But man, Reimer gets little respect around here any more and it boggles the mind. Our team sucked last night period. Breakaway, 2 on 1, another 2 on 1, breakaway, story of our season. It's like some idiots here have forgotten that there is another way to win games besides playing like crap and letting the goalie do most of the work. I saw a lot of great saves, Reimer gets a solid B from me while the rest of those jokers get a D- at best.

Nyquist? Are you kidding? I know nothing about the guy really but based on last night, Nyquist looks awesome. I wish we had a young guy like that!

Nithoniniel

Sep 7, 2012
Skövde, Sweden
Wings fan here, I follow the Toronto board closely and know theres a big split on Reimer love/hate.

But I will say this, last night what did he do that was horrible? Nyquist is a really good young player who scored on a breakaway. Yes it trickled in awkwardly but how can you blame a goalie for a breakaway goal where the D get blown by like that? His second shot was a snipe post and in, tough to save regardless but maybe could have had it. The last goal was a 2 on 1, those arent on the goalie.

Also curious what leaf fans thought of Nyquist last night/his potential in the future?

I'm not sure what's up with this board but I can't remember the last time we let in a goal and there weren't at least some blaming the goaltender. There's just too much people thinking every goal is weak and every shot is saveable, or even worse should be saved.

Nyquist is just great, tends to be one of the best players on the ice every game I catch with Detroit. I'm usually cautious with expectations when talking about a young players future in the league, but I have no doubt that Nyquist is a top six-player on an NHL-level. As far as potential I'd be more sold on him if he was younger and didn't have so much pro-level development. It's his fourth pro-year right? That usually means that the player is putting his game together, and I don't see any weaknesses in his game that could be rectified to give him a huge bump. I see him as a 65-75 point player with a good two-way game. Bear in mind that I find that high praise as its a level few players reach in the NHL.

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
For those wondering, I'm sure McClement was on at the end to provide two centres in case one is thrown out.

ACC1224

Aug 19, 2002
I'd like to see Kessel drive the net a little more often, maybe deke on a breakaway. He is getting far to predictable.

WhalerBlue

Feb 27, 2013
Detroit

Coming from a divided home. Part Canadian and part American, we cheer and follow both teams. I thought that Reimer played pretty good, considering he was staring down the barrel of gun a few times a period. You described the goals, but what about the saves he made? There were more odd man rushes coming at him and another 1 on none that he came up big on. Not to mention all the times he was battling with 2 Wings banging away at him and screening him. The defence was terrible and even worse, Carlyle made no changes to try to stop the line that was killing the Leafs everytime they took a shift. I read the Sun this morning and Carlyle' comments are interesting about his goalie. This guy thinks that bad mouthing his goalie will somehow make him play better? It is my observation that Carlyle always needs a whipping boy. If it ain't Kadri, then it is Reimer. If it ain't one of those two, then it will be somebody else. It is the way he operates. It is in his history and DNA. He thinks he is a hard ass. He is only half right. I know it won't happen, but I wish that Nonis would send him packing. This guy is bad for business.

Oct 19, 2007
I agree with this 100%. I understand there are Reimer haters here but it seems like they have all lost their mind. And I'm no Reimer lover, I think Bernier is unquestionably the #1 guy for the future. But man, Reimer gets little respect around here any more and it boggles the mind. Our team sucked last night period. Breakaway, 2 on 1, another 2 on 1, breakaway, story of our season. It's like some idiots here have forgotten that there is another way to win games besides playing like crap and letting the goalie do most of the work. I saw a lot of great saves, Reimer gets a solid B from me while the rest of those jokers get a D- at best.

Nyquist? Are you kidding? I know nothing about the guy really but based on last night, Nyquist looks awesome. I wish we had a young guy like that!
And to think he was a 4th round draft pick lol

hoglund

Dec 8, 2013
Canada
No surprise whatsoever. Our record against inferior teams in the standings is absolutely atrocious this season, and that is the primary reason why we are a wildcard team instead of comfortably holding down a playoff position.

well that's perfect, if the Leafs make the playoffs, they'll likely play Boston or Pittsburgh, they seem to play them better than weaker teams. If they lose to inferior teams they'd be swept and out first round.

Pi

Nov 16, 2010
Toronto
I'd like to see Kessel drive the net a little more often, maybe deke on a breakaway. He is getting far to predictable.

Kessel isn't going to drive to the net. I was disappointed last night...he had the room to go straight to the net to tie it up with ~3 mins to go but he stayed to the outside and shot it to howard's pads.

Kessel isn't the type of player that will go to the net.

ACC1224

Aug 19, 2002
Kessel isn't going to drive to the net. I was disappointed last night...he had the room to go straight to the net to tie it up with ~3 mins to go but he stayed to the outside and shot it to howard's pads.

Kessel isn't the type of player that will go to the net.

He has in the past as I remember.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad