Post-Game Talk: Leafs lose to Grand Rapids Griffins; is anyone really surprised?

Jimmy Firecracker

Fire Sheldon.
Mar 30, 2010
Mississauga
The fact of the matter is, this team relies far too much on the top players of their respective positions. The first line, the top pairing, and the number one goalie have been far too heavily relied on this season, with lines 2-4, pairings 2 and 3, and the backup net minder rarely stepping up to help.

It's no wonder the team started losing when line 1 went cold and our starter got injured. It doesn't help that the top pairing gets fatigued often with no other reliable pairings defensively. The rest of the team needs to step up and help shoulder the burden of avoiding another collapse for this team.

Last edited:

Pi

Nov 16, 2010
Toronto
Ridiculous loss, against a team that wanted it more.

A great start to the road trip, has ended off terribly.

And to cap it off, you have that cement blockhead of a coach making a ridiculous comment about Reimer. Jesus, does this guy not have any limits? Singling out and throwing under the bus the one man that is capable of stealing you games, and in all likelihood, WILL NEED to steal you the Tampa game, and you do that to him?

Nonsense. Can't stand him. I've very quickly moved from being an ardent defender of Carlyle, to being on the very front of the anti-Carlyle bus. This season he's been horrendous. I'm baffled that this team is still in a playoff spot.

This team is in a playoff spot thanks to goaltending and the #1 line. Carlyle is an idiotic coach...his teams have consistently gotten outcoached, outshot and outplayed on most nights.

We have another Ron Wilson on our hands and it's going to take another disappointing season to get rid of him.

Let's hope thats in 2015 so we can get rid of his ********.

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
The fact of the matter is, this team relies far too much on the top players of their respective positions. The first line, the top pairing, and the number one goalie have been far too heavily relied on this season, with lines 2-4, pairings 2 and 3, and the backup net minder rarely stepping up to help.

It's no wonder the team started losing when line 1 went cold and our starter got injured. It doesn't help that the top pairing gets fatigued often with no other reliable pairings defensively. The rest of the team needs to step up and hel shoulder the burden of avoiding another collapse for this team.

Agreed!

Someone other than Bernier, Kessel, JVR, Bozak, or Phaneuf need to pull their weight now that we are slumping.

But we have some here, that make certain players untouchable. Accountability.

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site
Ridiculous loss, against a team that wanted it more.

A great start to the road trip, has ended off terribly.

And to cap it off, you have that cement blockhead of a coach making a ridiculous comment about Reimer. Jesus, does this guy not have any limits? Singling out and throwing under the bus the one man that is capable of stealing you games, and in all likelihood, WILL NEED to steal you the Tampa game, and you do that to him?

Nonsense. Can't stand him. I've very quickly moved from being an ardent defender of Carlyle, to being on the very front of the anti-Carlyle bus. This season he's been horrendous. I'm baffled that this team is still in a playoff spot.

From my half century of watching you seldom hear players openly critique a coach.

There is a lot of smoke.

Gallagbi

Formerly Eazy_B97
Jul 5, 2005
Agreed!

Someone other than Bernier, Kessel, JVR, Bozak, or Phaneuf need to pull their weight now that we are slunk mping.

But we have some here, that make certain players untouchable. Accountability
You mean like blaming the secondary scoring when the top line has been on for 1 Gf in the past 4 games?

Tak7

Nov 1, 2009
GTA or the UK

It's no wonder the team started losing when line 1 went cold and our starter got injured. It doesn't help that the top pairing gets fatigued often with no other reliable pairings defensively. The rest of the team needs to step up and help shoulder the burden of avoiding another collapse for this team.

Could say the same thing about 20-25 teams in this league, but yes, you make a good point.

iceblue

Jul 30, 2004
Myrtle Beach
The loss last night was NOT all Reimer's fault.

No defense and what happened to our offense? Anyway I think the team plays more confident in front of Bernier - and this public feud between Carlyle and Reimer likely doesn't bode well for things to come.....

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site
GWG

Kessel 6
Raymond 4
Kulemin 4
Van Riemsdyk 3
Bolland 2
Smith 2

+/-

1 Carl Gunnarsson +16
2 Dion Phaneuf +14
3 Troy Bodie +5
4 Dave Bolland +4
5 Tyler Bozak +3
6 Mason Raymond +1
7 Nikolai Kulemin +1
8 Peter Holland +1
9 Carter Ashton +1
10 David Broll +1

moonbal

Apr 29, 2013
Pillsbury Toronto
Except for the fact that we couldn't score, I thought it was an ok game.
Leafs powerplay has been abysmal lately.
Reimer was not just ok. FU Carlyle.

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008

Franson has been horrible on the PP for a few months now. He's been bobbling pucks, shooting without traffic, not actually doing the thing he does best --- score on point shots. Not to mention he has no footspeed, so if he gets caught, it's a sure breakaway. Just a disastrous year for Cody and his confidence is visibly down the toilet.

He needs to get the **** out of the first PP unit. Gardiner or Rielly should be there, and Franson should be on the 2nd one.

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
Detroit has strong drafting and developing ..

Case in point 11 members from last seasons AHL Calder Cup winning team were in the Wings lineup last night due to injuries this year.

Case in point Gustav Nyqvist .. Was 4th round pick 121 overall in 2008.. He has played 15 games in the AHL this year.. However as a Wing he has in 43 games put up 19-16-35 points (.81 ppg) including 2 break-away goals against our Leafs.

When you get that kind of support internally from your depth and youth you're going to be a tough mark to gain points against even when injuries strike.

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site
Detroit has strong drafting and developing ..

Case in point 11 members from last seasons AHL Calder Cup winning team were in the Wings lineup last night due to injuries this year.

Case in point Gustav Nyqvist .. Was 4th round pick 121 overall in 2008.. He has played 15 games in the AHL this year.. However as a Wing he has in 43 games put up 19-16-35 points (.81 ppg) including 2 break-away goals against our Leafs.

When you get that kind of support internally from your depth and youth you're going to be a tough mark to gain points against even when injuries strike.

Their run to the Calder WIN was based on the play of their prospects.

hoglund

Dec 8, 2013
Canada
The reason for last night's loss was the Leafs out shot their opponent (33-31), they can only win when being out shot. I think the main reason for the loss was not the team's poor play, but give Howard credit and he's the reason Detroit won last night.

hoglund

Dec 8, 2013
Canada
Reimer was not just ok. FU Carlyle.

I think Carlyle's comment is being over blown by media. It didn't sound to be that he was criticizing Reimer, he said he played ok and a .903 save percentage is ok, not bad, not great, but ok. Reimer can't be blamed for last night's loss and Carlyle doesn't blame him, the media does.

Derrty

Cat
Apr 24, 2012
Go-.gif

pucky

Jan 11, 2011
The reason for last night's loss was the Leafs out shot their opponent (33-31), they can only win when being out shot. I think the main reason for the loss was not the team's poor play, but give Howard credit and he's the reason Detroit won last night.
What are you talking about? I watched 95% of the game.... I wanted to see Detroit's team. The Leafs were not dangerous except for a few plays and the last half of the 3rd or just the last 5 mins, it seemed. Most of their shots were from the outside or not great high scoring opportunities. Howard was good, yes, but he has struggled this season. The Leafs had to contend with a struggling goalie plus a team with their top two players out. They still couldn't get it done.

The D had tons of turnovers and they gave up breakaways and 2-on-1s. Fans keep making excuses. "Reimer sucks." "They're gassed." "RC can't coach." But, there's never any real objective discussion - the team is NOT good enough is never mentioned. It's like fans are in denial. Some really bad contracts and the drafting is not as good as most are saying. The Wings are decimated by injuries but their drafting seems pretty good. They probably regret signing Weiss but the Leafs have a bunch of bad contracts now.

The team is overrated and overrely on goaltending. Wow, they actually outshot a team for once! It's a MIRACLE! Too bad, it didn't matter. Most of Kessel's shots (except for the breakway) were from the outside. They had some shots from the slot but they either didn't get through or Howard made a good save. Then Kadri thinks he can score by playing soccer. The hockey IQ of many of these players seem to be very low. No wonder they lose games. Crappy coaching + low skill + slow and immobile D = losses. It's the stretch drive and the games will get harder. I won't be surprised if they finish out of the playoff standings.

egd27

Donec nunc annum
Sponsor
Jul 8, 2011
GTA
All I hope for is that the team isn't as fragile as the fanbase is.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad