Post-Game Talk: Leafs lose in OT 6-5

notDatsyuk

Jul 20, 2018
That all said one adjustment I've noticed is Nylander at the point 6 on 5 .. which I'm a really big fan of. He has such a strong combination of shot, playmaking, and puck movement that giving him the middle of the ice up high makes it really tough for the opposition to defend. He has the skill to elude a defender if they're too aggressive, like tonight where he found Matthews. And he can get it on net like we saw against the Islanders.

One of the issues in the past was that the Leafs would pin themselves down on the half walls which cuts down on how they can use their skill in open ice.
He's really tuning into the PP QB.

In December our PP is 7th, at almost 31%.

A1LeafNation

Obsession beats talent everytime!!
Oct 17, 2010
Not of Kent Johnson was shooting it...

The 3rd, 4th, and 5th goals are issues for me. The 6th is just a good shot.
Agree, we are use to Sammy stopping those.

Definitely a mental thing right now. Toronto is usually a place that doesn't let players work through it. Ugly side of Leafs fans is they like to eat their own.

• Love
Reactions: Habz4Evr

Dr Pepper

Dec 9, 2005
Sunny Etobicoke
It goes back to where the pass was made on the offside. So their zone

Ok so just so I'm clear on this.....the Jackets cleared the puck out of their zone, being on the PK and all, but there was already a Jackets player up ahead who somehow entered the Leafs' zone before the puck did, bringing the faceoff all the way back to the Jackets end?

Gotta think that's a pretty rare occurrence but I guess that finally explains it. :laugh:

Al14

Jul 13, 2007
Not of Kent Johnson was shooting it...

The 3rd, 4th, and 5th goals are issues for me. The 6th is just a good shot.
Kent Johnson's shot is nothing special. Sure it was a well placed shot, however a goalie playing big, square to the shooter, as well as playing confident, stops it.

JMHO.

Reactions: hotpaws

The Hanging Jowl

Apr 2, 2017
I enjoyed that game a lot. Don't care that they lost. I noticed almost all of the fans stuck around. And they were rewarded with a very entertaining game.

Reactions: ThrowDemTongs

verdi

Oct 19, 2023
I'm on board with you, d-men should able to box out their opponents or that very least make life a living hell to be with in 6 feet of the blue ice, make them work for their shot on goal. I've never been a fan of dmen who have to play sheltered minutes...guys like Subban and Karlson who are just as bad without the puck as they are good with the puck hold very little value to me.

You said he does not show up nearly enough, to show up more than 70 goal pace he would have to score every night.
Timmins on atleast 1 of the goals last night wasn't even close to the scorer (the goal scored by the side of the net); and he's consistently out of position almost every shift he's on the ice and it burns the Leafs when scorers have an open lane to shoot from.

So I think my point stands, he's god awful at playing defense at the NHL level.

Clark4Ever

What we do in hockey echoes in eternity...
Oct 10, 2010
T.O.
I just want everyone to know that you can thank me for the improbable comeback.

I was at a client's Christmas Party last night until 9:00pm and missed the first 2 periods (thankfully). As soon as I started driving home to King City from downtown Toronto, I put the game on the radio at the start of the 3rd period and listened to Joe Bowen call the entire comeback.

I couldn't believe my ears by the time I got home.

Twine Tickler

Apr 5, 2010
Vancouver
Tough to lose that one after such an improbable comeback. Really love the never quit mentality that this team has shown really all season long. Of course you don't want to be down ever in the 3rd period, let alone by 5, but this team has shown time and time again that they are never out.

3 on 3 is not a scenario that will ever unfold in May, but 6 on 5 is absolutely something that will. And boy are we getting practice with it. Even dating back to last year. I have this odd sense of confidence with the net empty that we will tie games. We have 7 goals on the year with the net empty and only 3 goals allowed. 2 situations of which we were able to erase multi-goal deficits to push the game into OT. So to put that in perspective, out of the 27 games we've played, 5 games we were destine to walk away with no points in a game, and it was our 6 on 5 play that allowed us to salvage a single point or better.

Obviously Sammy needs to be better. I am done breaking down his GA's. He's been shit all season, and he was shit last night. No need to break it down further. It's tough to win in this league if your goalie is forcing you to have to pot 5 or more. He's allowed 4 or more in 4 of his last 6 starts. It's no where near good enough.

This was a trap game from the drop of the puck, and it obviously manifested as such. We certainly didn't come prepared to play in periods 1 and 2, but by no means did we deserve to be down 5 after 2.

6 goals against on a 3.83xGA is just terrible.

but nonetheless I think our boys should be proud of themselves. Anyone who plays the game knows just how demoralizing bad goaltending is. I can't think of a single more deflating feeling in the game of hockey TBH. Nothing lets the air out of the tires quite like it. Good on our boys for showing the fight and battling injury and illness to get the single. Nothing to be ashamed about IMO.

Take the single point and be hungry for a big win on Saturday

Leafs98

Sep 26, 2007
Keefe told the team in the 2nd intermission he wanted to give the fans something to cheer about in the 3rd. Didnt expect a comeback. But would that really make anyone watching or in person cheerful. A couple skilled goals in a blow out loss ?? Yes they ended up coming back for a point. But this organization really takes us for fools.

• Love
Reactions: Habz4Evr

notbias

Feb 16, 2017
Keefe told the team in the 2nd intermission he wanted to give the fans something to cheer about in the 3rd. Didnt expect a comeback. But would that really make anyone watching or in person cheerful. A couple skilled goals in a blow out loss ?? Yes they ended up coming back for a point. But this organization really takes us for fools.

I don't think it is particularly a dumb way to look at it, not even sure if he meant it in this way though,

Those games get exciting in person when there is a little bit of hope and then the momentum starts going.

Telling the team "We need 5 goals to tie, go out there and do it" probably doesn't help much either...

I am sure most guys felt somewhat hopeless, and whatever he said maybe didn't work, but it didn't hurt them.

I am sure that speech is much different in a playoff game, but a somewhat meaningless regular season game, I kind of like this approach of go out there and get some goals to put on a show, I am sure the comeback didn't feel obtainable in the 2nd intermission.

Reactions: bax and Confucius

Jojalu

Feb 22, 2019
Finally got to watch last night's game.

Am I crazy? I read some of the game thread and now I queation whether or not a lot of people equate result with effort.

I didn't find the Leafs playing terribly in the first two periods. They were not in top form, but Columbus was doing an incredible job blocking shots and clearing the net.

The Leafs made their usual amount of miscues and the puck just went in instead of getting a big save.

I still don't know what to make of this team, but their ability to comeback and find ways to not lose in regulation is exciting.

Leafs98

Sep 26, 2007
I don't think it is particularly a dumb way to look at it, not even sure if he meant it in this way though,

Those games get exciting in person when there is a little bit of hope and then the momentum starts going.

Telling the team "We need 5 goals to tie, go out there and do it" probably doesn't help much either...

I am sure most guys felt somewhat hopeless, and whatever he said maybe didn't work, but it didn't hurt them.

I am sure that speech is much different in a playoff game, but a somewhat meaningless regular season game, I kind of like this approach of go out there and get some goals to put on a show, I am sure the comeback didn't feel obtainable in the 2nd intermission.
Agreed not much could be said but win the period. Was just the point about thinking losing a game 5-2 for example, with say a couple dangling goals, would make us feel good. We are scorned here as a fanbase lol.

notbias

Feb 16, 2017
Agreed not much could be said but win the period. Was just the point about thinking losing a game 5-2 for example, with say a couple dangling goals, would make us feel good. We are scorned here as a fanbase lol.

In the arena, no matter what, it is nice to see a few goals. Even if they lost 5-2 but scored 2 quickly, it brings some energy into the arena which is nice.

Not sure he meant for the at home crowd.

That game went from a waste of money to a really fun one quickly.

notbias

Feb 16, 2017
How was Peeke?

Out shot, out chanced, 4th worst xGF% on his team, and his pairing had the worst xGF% as well, I understand why they healthy scratch him a lot... he's not a good D.

He's big though and was thought of as good at some point though, so I am sure some people still want him.

We are collecting 3rd pairing Ds... what is one more?

Reactions: Duffman955

notDatsyuk

Jul 20, 2018
For an offside the faceoff is where the pass originated - if it was a stretch pass from their own end, it comes all the way back.
That must have been the correct call (whatever it was), because apparently bad calls are NEVER made in our favour.

Hellcat

Jul 13, 2022
Timmins on atleast 1 of the goals last night wasn't even close to the scorer (the goal scored by the side of the net); and he's consistently out of position almost every shift he's on the ice and it burns the Leafs when scorers have an open lane to shoot from.

So I think my point stands, he's god awful at playing defense at the NHL level.

That's stuff that can be taught, I think he has less than 100 games under his belt. You look at guys like Lilly, he will never drive O the way Timmins does and Lilly is at the same level as Timmins in terms of defensive awareness. We dont have a lot of D-Men who play D well.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad