Post-Game Talk: Leafs lose in OT 6-5

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
An offside entering the Leafs zone, bringing the draw all the way back to Columbus's end?

Strange one, but I suppose that still makes more sense than icing. :dunno:

Seems like conditioning a major issue, for what I believe is the youngest team in the league. Surprised they still had enough gas to eke out the win in OT, I thought for sure Toronto would finish them off quick at 3 on 3.
I could be thinking of the wrong play but I believe the offside pass was from the Columbus end.

Al14

Jul 13, 2007
Nah, he picked the corner well. If Matthews had done that, we wouldn't think much of it.
Nope, great shots by Matthews are stopped by other goalies all the time. Sure, he picked the corner, however, if Samsonov plays the shot correctly, it DOES NOT get through him. Samsonov played small on that shot and it got through him !!!

I coached one Midget level goalie that would have easily stopped that shot by coming out to challenge, staying square, and playing as big as he can. Samsonov played like he just hoped the shooter hit him with the puck. That's not a way to actually stop a puck shot on net.

Great to average shots gets through Samsonov all too frequently IMHO.

notbias

Feb 16, 2017
1/2 of Leafs salary cap core 4 forwards combine for 4 goals 6 assists for 10 points and Leafs still lose the game.

:surrender:help:

We have like 4 million in cap space and we lost a 1.3 million dollar forward... that was likely the difference because only cap space matters!

If we could have only given Samsanov the 4 million from Klingberg he would have stopped the OT winner.

Reactions: WillNy29

Dr Pepper

Dec 9, 2005
Sunny Etobicoke
I could be thinking of the wrong play but I believe the offside pass was from the Columbus end.

Ah.

Must've been a delay then because I don't think the refs blew the play down until the puck hit the end boards behind Samsonov - which is why my first thought was icing, which again wouldn't make sense at the time. :laugh:

Still, would've thought most faceoffs following an off-side call are in the neutral zone but I guess it switches up on a PK.

ACC1224

Aug 19, 2002
I disagree - I feel helping prevent goals is one of those things defenseman should be good at. When I see a noticeable physical gap between him and his man who ends up scoring, it costs the team.
I don't think he's been on for many goals against although I know it seems like he must be.
Leafs definitely score more than they give up when he's on the ice.

ACC1224

Aug 19, 2002
Ah.

Must've been a delay then because I don't think the refs blew the play down until the puck hit the end boards behind Samsonov - which is why my first thought was icing, which again wouldn't make sense at the time. :laugh:

Still, would've thought most faceoffs following an off-side call are in the neutral zone but I guess it switches up on a PK.
It depends on where the puck is passed from. I could be totally wrong here or thinking of a different play though. Was it the play where they showed the BJ player laying into the linesman after the whistle and then McCabe(I think) scored?

Reactions: andora

Rare Jewel

Patience
Jan 11, 2007
Leaf Land
Nope, great shots by Matthews are stopped by other goalies all the time. Sure, he picked the corner, however, if Samsonov plays the shot correctly, it DOES NOT get through him. Samsonov played small on that shot and it got through him !!!

I coached one Midget level goalie that would have easily stopped that shot by coming out to challenge, staying square, and playing as big as he can. Samsonov played like he just hoped the shooter hit him with the puck. That's not a way to actually stop a puck shot on net.

Great to average shots gets through Samsonov all too frequently IMHO.
Not of Kent Johnson was shooting it...

The 3rd, 4th, and 5th goals are issues for me. The 6th is just a good shot.

Dr Pepper

Dec 9, 2005
Sunny Etobicoke
It depends on where the puck is passed from. I could be totally wrong here or thinking of a different play though. Was it the play where they showed the BJ player laying into the linesman after the whistle and then McCabe(I think) scored?

Had to be, since that's the faceoff that led to McCabe's goal.

I didn't notice any individual Jackets player chirping the linesman but I can certainly understand why it might've happened since everyone up around me was confused as well lol. I double checked the jumbotron to make sure it was still a PK because I couldn't think of any other reason for it.

Gotta think the Jackets themselves couldn't understand the ruling either, and then sure enough, McCabe made it 5-3 after the Leafs won the ensuing faceoff.

Reactions: ACC1224

hobarth

Jul 10, 2011
I admire it but Keefe’s comments speak volumes. This team needs to play this way from the jump. They thrive off pressure and being challenged. Whatever Keefe says in the 2nd intermission he needs to start saying pregame to get the boys fired up
TO hasn't responded well to pressure and being challenged in the Matthews/Marner era as attested by the playoff results? The results last night was TO doing what they should've from the git go against a very bad opponent.

ACC1224

Aug 19, 2002
Had to be, since that's the faceoff that led to McCabe's goal.

I didn't notice any individual Jackets player chirping the linesman but I can certainly understand why it might've happened since everyone up around me was confused as well lol. I double checked the jumbotron to make sure it was still a PK because I couldn't think of any other reason for it.

Gotta think the Jackets themselves couldn't understand the ruling either, and then sure enough, McCabe made it 5-3 after the Leafs won the ensuing faceoff.
Yeah, it would have been confusing live. On TV, I think it was Kuraly that was going at the linesman for the call.

Hellcat

Jul 13, 2022
Everyone knows this version of Mathews exists, but for whatever reason it doesn’t shows up nearly enough. He could be one of the all time greats, but is happy being just really good……..

The guy is on pace for 70 goals. Can we give this Matty does not show up narrative a rest. NO PLAYER including McJesus scores every night. Just the threat of his shot opens up lanes and scoring opportunities for his teammates. I'm ecstatic that he is here.

There have been 14 times a player has scored 70 or more in a season. Only 8 men in the history of the NHL have scored 70. Will AM be the 8th guy, who knows, the guy could drop to a 50 goal scorer or catch fire and score 80

Reactions: Forgotusername

rumman

Sep 10, 2008
The guy is on pace for 70 goals. Can we give this Matty does not show up narrative a rest. NO PLAYER including McJesus scores every night. Just the threat of his shot opens up lanes and scoring opportunities for his teammates. I'm ecstatic that he is here.

There have been 14 times a player has scored 70 or more in a season. Only 8 men in the history of the NHL have scored 70. Will AM be the 8th guy, who knows, the guy could drop to a 50 goal scorer or catch fire and score 80

Who said anything about scoring every night?

Gallagbi

Formerly Eazy_B97
Jul 5, 2005
An offside entering the Leafs zone, bringing the draw all the way back to Columbus's end?

Strange one, but I suppose that still makes more sense than icing. :dunno:

Seems like conditioning a major issue, for what I believe is the youngest team in the league. Surprised they still had enough gas to eke out the win in OT, I thought for sure Toronto would finish them off quick at 3 on 3.
It goes back to where the pass was made on the offside. So their zone

Hellcat

Jul 13, 2022
I disagree - I feel helping prevent goals is one of those things defenseman should be good at. When I see a noticeable physical gap between him and his man who ends up scoring, it costs the team.

I'm on board with you, d-men should able to box out their opponents or that very least make life a living hell to be with in 6 feet of the blue ice, make them work for their shot on goal. I've never been a fan of dmen who have to play sheltered minutes...guys like Subban and Karlson who are just as bad without the puck as they are good with the puck hold very little value to me.

Who said anything about scoring every night?

You said he does not show up nearly enough, to show up more than 70 goal pace he would have to score every night.

rumman

Sep 10, 2008
I'm on board with you, d-men should able to box out their opponents or that very least make life a living hell to be with in 6 feet of the blue ice, make them work for their shot on goal. I've never been a fan of dmen who have to play sheltered minutes...guys like Subban and Karlson who are just as bad without the puck as they are good with the puck hold very little value to me.

You said he does not show up nearly enough, to show up more than 70 goal pace he would have to score every night.
If you don’t think 34 doesn’t have more to give, your selling him short, as good as he is he could be so much more………

GrizzLeaf

Registered Bear
Aug 13, 2010
Quebec
I was at a Christmas party for this one. Looks like I missed an entertaining game.

Oh well. Get 'em next time boys.

Go Leafs Go!

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad