Post-Game Talk: Leafs Lose in OT 3-2

Gallagbi

Formerly Eazy_B97
Jul 5, 2005
Well, Ottawa was supposed to one of their easy games...they are rested and still lost. The way Winnipeg is floundering, maybe the Leafs are better facing Winnipeg.
They're playing awful, but I don't think they have much on the line right now. Edmonton has kicked their teeth in all year and they're more confident vs. us IMO.

Still I can't see their skid continuing with who they face the rest of the way

PromisedLand

I need more FOOD
Dec 3, 2016
Hogwarts
Take comfort knowing that Montreal played the most trap, boring, clog up the zone hockey imaginable, while the Leafs didn't seem to even give a shit...

And the only reason they won is because Mikheyev missed an ENG.

Thats playoff hockey. CBJ did that last season and Leafs got shutout in 2 games. Leafs gotta find a way to beat the trap.

Montreal had a plan in 3 on 3 too; they didnt care about scoring they just wanted to keep the puck and not give matthews any offensive opportunity and they did that pretty much entire OT except that flubbed marner/matthews 2 on 0 JOKE

Shawnathon

Jul 25, 2012
Broadcast says “Caufield is clearly ready for prime time” —> guy’s been a total non factor for his entire NHL stint thus far, and happens to capitalize on two chances in 3v3. Credit where credit’s due, he’s an unreal finisher, but he hasn’t done anything besides those two plays. Don’t get ahead of yourselves

Scoring two game winners in must win games and rang the inside of the bar tonight on top of other chances? Okay then. “Non factor.”

Kiwi

Mar 5, 2016
The Naki
We were clearly trying some things late. Dermott doesn't see that opportunity in playoffs, neither does Kerfoot with their goalie pulled

It's a good time to do it, you get the pressure of the situation without any long term ramifications

You never know, we may need those guys and at least now they have some idea of what it entails

Jimmy Firecracker

Fire Sheldon.
Mar 30, 2010
Mississauga
This game isn’t unlike other Habs wins this season against us. Low event, plodding hockey and they kept it just close enough to come away with the win.

Refs were awful as per usual. Even if the penalties were evened out, 3 straight soft calls in the Habs favour allowed them to tie it and kept us from gaining momentum. Even if we got two calls immediately after (one of which literally has to be called) the damage was already done.

Reactions: MattySnipes

Smif

Jan 23, 2008
Hamilton
I'm sorry why is it Matthews' problem that Marner tried to force a cross crease pass from in tight rather than shoot?
What's the point of a pass from Matthews to Marner at the top of the circle, he left nothing for Marner, he should've sniped it there. Marner had no play, tried to force a pass back to him that wasn't there.

Sypher04

Jan 20, 2011
Man if Mikehev.. can't score on breakaways... now it's apparent you can't score on an empty net. At this point I don't know how you take Brooks out of the line up before Soup

Make no mistake Brooks comes out well before mikheyev does. Brooks has been damn solid in his role so far, but mikheyev is a well above average defensive player, with unbelievable wheels. Heavy on the puck, and a strong penalty killer. He's more important to this team than people give him credit for. Even if that shot he took that hit a stick on the way to the empty net is his offensive luck in a nutshell, this team is better with him than without

Reactions: Lumberg

Le Magnifique

Feb 22, 2021
The majority of you would prefer to play the Habs over the Jets.
Just watch what you wish for, you might get it.....

Maplebeasts

I See Demons!!!!!
Oct 26, 2014
Barrie, Ontario
What's the point of a pass from Matthews to Marner at the top of the circle, he left nothing for Marner, he should've sniped it there. Marner had no play, tried to force a pass back to him that wasn't there.
Marner had time to shoot that easy. He also could have tried to deke Allen out. Anything else would have been better than firing a howitzer cross crease when he's almost on the goal line.

Reactions: Gallagbi

Gallagbi

Formerly Eazy_B97
Jul 5, 2005
Come on, Marner had plenty of time to make a fake, make a pass giving Matthews the option of a quick shot or going backhand.

Instead he over-thought and over-handled it to the point where he didn't even connect on an uncontested pass.

It was Marner who handcuffed himself and Matthews, not the other way around

Reactions: stickty111

Teeder Keon

Defeat does not rest lightly on their shoulders
Mar 11, 2019
Deep in the Purple jungles of BC
Thats playoff hockey. CBJ did that last season and Leafs got shutout in 2 games. Leafs gotta find a way to beat the trap.

Montreal had a plan in 3 on 3 too; they didnt care about scoring they just wanted to keep the puck and not give matthews any offensive opportunity and they did that pretty much entire OT except that flubbed marner/matthews 2 on 0 JOKE
We had enough glorious chances to win
We have to score
And have to be better on the pp
Great way to beat a shi Tty team that traps

Last edited:

LastOne2100

Jan 2, 2017
Might prefer Edmonton.

Montreal plays a more we rounded game, which if they’re rolling in the playoffs, can be tough to beat.

The McDavid factor though - I'd never feel safe. The guy can do things no one else can and I 100% believe he can drag that team by himself.

Jimmy Firecracker

Fire Sheldon.
Mar 30, 2010
Mississauga
Let’s also not forget that three guys who would be killing the EN situation we’re all injured and unavailable tonight. Hyman, Foligno, and Nash all will hopefully be back and ready for game one.

Reactions: CabanaBoy5

Antropovsky

Jun 2, 2007
I wanna believe Campbell is the answer in net but his style has me concerned. It's very old school, not like new age goalies who look robotic with their movements following the puck on the ice. He let's in ALOT of poor angle goals and seems to lose his crease often, which scares me come playoff time.

Reactions: binop7 and moon111

LastOne2100

Jan 2, 2017
Keep in mind we started the year with 9 straight losses in OT/SO.

Fair enough, it's clearly working for you two games in a row, but man I'd be livid as a fan watching that.

The entire point of 3 on 3 is supposed to be fun wild action for fans, and to end more games before shootout.

Reactions: egd27

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad