Post-Game Talk: Leafs Lose in OT 3-2

Gallagbi

Formerly Eazy_B97
Jul 5, 2005
Meh

We look like a team with very little to play for right now, it's going to take something extremely unlikely for us not to finish 1st in the North

It's hard to get yourself motivated and play with emotion in that situation

Hopefully Foligno is alright and Hyman gets back soon so we can get at least a couple of games with a full lineup going into the playoffs
We were clearly trying some things late. Dermott doesn't see that opportunity in playoffs, neither does Kerfoot with their goalie pulled

Mar 12, 2009
I would rather us lose a few by being aggressive on the 3 on 3 instead of turn it into snoozefest garbage like the Canadiens.

If we didn't attack that entire 3 on 3 would've been them diddling with the puck and not attempting to score.
We have lost too many games this way, forcing a play off the bat, having an odd man rush the other way beating us. If we were patient and held onto the puck more, Montreal wouldn't have had as much opportunity to hog it.

Reactions: aresknights

Gallagbi

Formerly Eazy_B97
Jul 5, 2005
Most gutless OT I've ever seen by a team. It's one thing to regroup and try to get a controlled entry. Another thing to just bring the puck back to center ice whenever you see Matthews
We've seen it vs. McDavid for a while

ALine

May 14, 2012
Boring game.

Hope Foligno is okay.

Campbell did make some incredible saves, hope that doesn't get lost in the loss.
Boring for real. Habs just trapping with impunity

That tieing goal was bad. That just can't go.

That D zone draw before the tying goal though, that was Spezza's or Johnnys. Seemed like Keefe was trying to force #40. Hockey gods don't like forcing that shite

Teeder Keon

Defeat does not rest lightly on their shoulders
Mar 11, 2019
Deep in the Purple jungles of BC
upload_2021-5-3_18-44-54.gif

kk87

Feb 12, 2015
Waterloo, ON
Broadcast says “Caufield is clearly ready for prime time” —> guy’s been a total non factor for his entire NHL stint thus far, and happens to capitalize on two chances in 3v3. Credit where credit’s due, he’s an unreal finisher, but he hasn’t done anything besides those two plays. Don’t get ahead of yourselves

Gallagbi

Formerly Eazy_B97
Jul 5, 2005
We have lost too many games this way, forcing a play off the bat, having an odd man rush the other way beating us. If we were patient and held onto the puck more, Montreal wouldn't have had as much opportunity to hog it.
...yes they would have. They literally could have killed the whole clock

Maplebeasts

I See Demons!!!!!
Oct 26, 2014
Barrie, Ontario
It was hard for me to tell watching the Habs broadcast, but that seemed like a dog of a game. Boring, zero intensity.

This team is so uncreative in creative moments (PP and 3v3). On top of that, they are so predictable.

I remember a couple years ago Babcock said he wanted the team to be machine like, well, they certainly were tonight. It was all 1's and 0's and no passion.

Brutal effort imo. Also, Liljegren is not NHL ready by a long shot.
Actually Liljegren had a 66 corsi% and a 66.7 xGF%. Him and Muzzin were a very good pairing. I will agree that his puck rushing and skating don't quite look the same as it does in the AHL, but I suspect it's more of a comfort thing at this point. They put up great results as a pairing.

LastOne2100

Jan 2, 2017

And again, I'd rather give up a few gimmick points that don't matter come playoff time, than prance around like the Canadiens did.

Gallagbi

Formerly Eazy_B97
Jul 5, 2005
Why is everyone blaming Marner on that play, maybe the 39 goal scorer should've shot it himself, pretty obvious what the higher percentage play was there...
...because he made a terrible pass that didn't even result in a SOG when he had ample time to feed it back to Matthews and get Allen moving?

Maplebeasts

I See Demons!!!!!
Oct 26, 2014
Barrie, Ontario
Why is everyone blaming Marner on that play, maybe the 39 goal scorer should've shot it himself, pretty obvious what the higher percentage play was there...
I'm sorry why is it Matthews' problem that Marner tried to force a cross crease pass from in tight rather than shoot?

Jimmy Firecracker

Fire Sheldon.
Mar 30, 2010
Mississauga
Not patient enough 3 v 3. Always trying to force the play for a quick strike, but always end up on the wrong side of a run and gun or we give it up and the other team plays a more relaxed possession game and we never get the puck back.

I thought Leafs were too trigger happy too. The exact opposite to how they are on the PP. Weird.

Reactions: Brown Dog

Sypher04

Jan 20, 2011
Broadcast says “Caufield is clearly ready for prime time” —> guy’s been a total non factor for his entire NHL stint thus far, and happens to capitalize on two chances in 3v3. Credit where credit’s due, he’s an unreal finisher, but he hasn’t done anything besides those two plays. Don’t get ahead of yourselves

Yeah I thought that was a little premature as well. I mean, he's not likely going back to another lower league any time soon, but 5v5 he's not much of a factor. That said, to be fair to him, it's very early days for the kid

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad