Post-Game Talk: Leafs lose in a shootout .. In their own Leafy way

BertCorbeau

F*ck cancer - RIP Fugu and Buffaloed
Jan 6, 2012
Simcoe County
Looking at Krejci's SO winner, he actually slightly mishandles the puck as he's about to make his move on Reimer, seems like that threw Reims off and Krejci was lucky to regain control that close to the net. Some good hands there.

Trapper

Nov 21, 2013
Glad the buds got a point. We will bounce back.

It's good for the confidence of those who are staying.
It's good for the trade value of those who are leaving.
It's good for our prospects who are watching the Leafs saying those guys are competing hard. I will have to as well.

Trapper

Nov 21, 2013
Looking at Krejci's SO winner, he actually slightly mishandles the puck as he's about to make his move on Reimer, seems like that threw Reims off and Krejci was lucky to regain control that close to the net. Some good hands there.

I never blame the goalie in the shootout.
Lousy gimmick skills competition.
It's getting to the point where I just hate OT.
Just have a tie and end it. Share the point. I've had enough of the loser points to boot.

The Examiner

Jun 24, 2013
Bernier was brought in and handed the job. Babcock actually stuck to his word about playing the goalie that deserves to play, unlike the last two years. Guess we will see. Reimer starts next game even tho not having the best game tonight.

Reimer definitely deserves the start next game. He's played well and Bernier will eventually get another chance. I'm by no means a Reimer supporter but he's earned it...for now. I can't wait for both of these bums to be gone.

Your username/ avatar reminds me of this whole situation. When I was a kid, I loved Allan Bester. He was the best and nobody could tell me any different. I hated Ken Wregget. I would never give him credit for anything. I was a kid. Once I grew up, I realized he sucked (so did Wregget) even though they were both entertaining and often made some great saves. It's the same thing now. People back the goalies they have feelings for and nothing will change their mind. What's scary is that I doubt they are 8-12 year olds. If your over 14 and still have feelings for goalies, there is something wrong with you (I'm not saying you do). I wish these people would stop posting so we could have an honest discussion about the goaltending situation. Although, we all known in our heart they both suck and the team really needs to invest in some goalies for the future. I hope Sparks continues to develop as he's been great but I have my doubts about him.

teeder333*

Oct 22, 2014
Bernier was an exceptional goaltender but then he ruined his groin. Goalies are never the same after they go through that. I don't buy that the goalie for L.A. is the same after he had groin surgery.

Reimer, is athletic at times, but yeah, he is missing something but you know what? Maybe this nut peaks like his hero, Johnny Bower, at some future point well into his thirties. He sure looks about as ugly as Bower did.

Ovate

Dec 17, 2014
Toronto
Increased parity, and therefore three point games, are good for the League. Teams clinching playoff spots and home ice advantage in the last two weeks is a hell of a lot more exciting than knowing what the playoffs will look like in January.

I'd rather have 3v3 go on until someone scores. But it's the NHLPA that vetoed that, not the league.

You can't compare tie resolution in the NHL to other leagues where more points are scored and ties are less common.

Stats01

Jul 12, 2009
Toronto
Doesn't matter - he should have stopped all 3 goals

ok and what do you want the team to do ??? ditch him for Bernier? You do realize that just because you had an off night doesn't mean you lose the net. I think Reimer should get the call next Saturday again, it is unfair that Bernier got a massive run with games last season and to start this year and stunk up the joint and now Reimer after an off night has to all of a sudden lose the net? Nah not happening, he should get the call again on Saturday and come back with a great game. You can't bust his balls over 1 game when the previous 2-3 weeks he's been unstoppable. Off nights happen even with the great ones.

Stats01

Jul 12, 2009
Toronto
Reimer can lose it, but should we really rely on a goaltender who has played at most 37 games in a season? At least Bernier had 55 games of elite season and showed signs of being a top ten goaltender until last Christmas.

I don't know. I just don't like giving up on a goaltender who's having the worst moment in his career, especially with the talent Bernier possesses.

Are the Leafs giving up on Bernier or better yet did Reimer just flat out take the job from him. Bernier has been atrocious this season and it's going to take a lot more than 1 off night from Reimer to win the job back. Bernier will get another chance and whatever game he starts he's going to have to prove he can bounce back because if he has another bad game then he may back-up Reimer for the foreseeable future. But for right now though you ride Reimer they don't play again until Saturday so there is no reason to go to Bernier. He has to earn his time now, while he's doing that he has to wait until Reimer starts playing bad and up until tonight he wasn't.

Also I wouldn't call Bernier's performance last year "elite" it was far far away from elite. a GAA of 2.87 and a SV% of .912 is mediocre at best.

Actually Reimer has similar if not better numbers than Bernier does in their careers..and that's what I find so funny, so many posters like you who are grinding so hard for Bernier to get back in the net don't realize that Bernier really hasn't done anything in his career so far to garner so much hype and playing time. What makes Bernier soooo much better than Reimer? Is it being flashy? being drafted in the 1st round? I don't know you tell me..all I know is right now it's not even close who should be the starting goaltender of this team.

Bernier has a career GAA of 2.65 and a SV% of .915

Reimer has a career GAA of 2.83 and a SV% of .914

Besides having a slightly better GAA Bernier and Reimer have had similar careers so far.

Last edited:

Stats01

Jul 12, 2009
Toronto
Bernier was an exceptional goaltender but then he ruined his groin. Goalies are never the same after they go through that. I don't buy that the goalie for L.A. is the same after he had groin surgery.

Reimer, is athletic at times, but yeah, he is missing something but you know what? Maybe this nut peaks like his hero, Johnny Bower, at some future point well into his thirties. He sure looks about as ugly as Bower did.

guy has skills though ;) look at his wife. April Reimer is smokin"` hot damn

mikeyz

Dec 3, 2013
I am so incredibly impressed with the effort that the boys have put out so far this season.

FINALLY we have a legit system style of play.. I couldn't be happier. I am all for the tank and a bottom 5 pick, but, at the same time, like I said, I am loving the effort level by this team ATM.

Babcock is a borderline miracle worker. If he can get this kind of a work ethic with this motley crew, imagine what he will be able to do with the kids (Marner, Nylander, Kapanen, Matthews/Chychrun/Jones/Tkachuk) in about 3-4 years? I am not going to lie. I just got a hard on and nearly soiled myself just thinking about that! LMFAO!!

Pookie

Wear a mask
Oct 23, 2013
I would like to thank the Refs for protecting our players.

Slew foot the goalie? PP thank you very much.

Two knee on knees in two games? PP thank you very much.

Add those to the list of goalie interferences, the turtle move the other day, etc.

Refs are sure doing a good job of sticking up for out Boys in Blue.

Leaf Hockey. Watch it. Mess with us and you might get a penalty.

We are soft but that's ok............. I guess.

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
I would like to thank the Refs for protecting our players.

Slew foot the goalie? PP thank you very much.

Two knee on knees in two games? PP thank you very much.

Add those to the list of goalie interferences, the turtle move the other day, etc.

Refs are sure doing a good job of sticking up for out Boys in Blue.

Leaf Hockey. Watch it. Mess with us and you might get a penalty.

We are soft but that's ok............. I guess.

Keep saying it. It might matter after a while :laugh:

exporta

Jul 30, 2005
Reimer is useless to be honest and will never be a number 1 goalie. The jury is still out on Bernier.

They are practically the same age, months apart. One was drafted like 11th overall, the other fought his way into the NHL and seemingly wants to fight to say.

If anything, we have a clear indication of what both goaltenders are. One has a better technical game that is weak mentally and has a hard time putting streaks together. The other isn't as technical, but has a better head on him and battles. He can also string together multiple quality starts when in the zone.

egd27

Donec nunc annum
Sponsor
Jul 8, 2011
GTA
Reimer can lose it, but should we really rely on a goaltender who has played at most 37 games in a season? At least Bernier had 55 games of elite season and showed signs of being a top ten goaltender until last Christmas.

I don't know. I just don't like giving up on a goaltender who's having the worst moment in his career, especially with the talent Bernier possesses.

You seem quite okay to have given up on Reimer based on the worst point in his career.

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
Leo Komarov replacing Kessel on the top line scored his 7th goal of the year which is the same amount as flying Phil has this year.

Tyler Bozak recorded his 14th point of the season which is also the same amount that Kessel has being centered Crosby/Malkin.

Daisy Jane

everything is gonna be okay!
Jul 2, 2009
Leo Komarov replacing Kessel on the top line scored his 7th goal of the year which is the same amount as flying Phil has this year.

Tyler Bozak recorded his 14th point of the season which is also the same amount that Kessel has being centered Crosby/Malkin.

honestly these things irk me, because it's only the 22nd or so game.
this means nothing unless at the END of the season this is relatively close. (and even then it's a great fluke year for Komarov, and a piss poor year for Kessel).

the Bozak thing however is a good thing because it's showing he's not a product of Phil -which was what people were constantly arguing and is a good thing for Tyler.

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
honestly these things irk me, because it's only the 22nd or so game.
this means nothing unless at the END of the season this is relatively close. (and even then it's a great fluke year for Komarov, and a piss poor year for Kessel).

the Bozak thing however is a good thing because it's showing he's not a product of Phil -which was what people were constantly arguing and is a good thing for Tyler.

Don't let these things irk you Daisy. :)

7 goals is 7 goals = Kessel is not missed goal wise to date and coach Babcock also called Leo his best and most consistent player this year.

It also a good thing that Bozak has as many points with and without Kessel for our Leafs and that Kessel now playing with all-star franchise centers in Pittsburgh is no more productive than playing with Bozak. This increases the potential to trade Tyler now as teams can see as you pointed out that Kessel didn't make Bozak and he can contribute to a team on his own. This is a good thing for Leafs going forward.

Bozak having as many points with Mattias and Parenteau, shows that playing hard and competing in a team game can be just as effective. Even PA Parenteau taken of the scrap heap as a discount UFA has 6 goals only 1 less than Kessel.

NCoRe

Dec 30, 2007
Seinäjoki
I'm not saying that its time to replace Reims to Bernier, but James was weak tonight and thats undeniable fact. It was our game most of the parts still and it does look good for the future. Lets take this break and really focus on PP :handclap:

draeko17

Jul 7, 2007
Wierd how we lost a game where Bozak plays more minutes than Kadri

Babs I wonder if we lost faith in Bozak at shootout?

Nice 2 points for Tyler. Raising his trade value

I like Kadri well enough, and as a fan of the Leafs for about 50 years, I want to really like him. I want him to have great success with the Leafs. But I'll be honest, it's your predictable unnecessary shots at Bozak that leaves a bad taste in my mouth regarding Kadri. It seemed as though Bozak had a good game. What specifically was your criticism of him in last night's game?

When Kadri first came in to the league, wasn't the shootout one of his strong skills? And I could be mistaken about that. But Babs I wonder if we lost faith in Kadri at shootout?.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad