Post-Game Talk: Leafs lose in a shootout .. In their own Leafy way

leaffaninvancouver

formerly in Victoria
Jan 11, 2012
Umm no he hasn't. If we're judging based on a 10 game sample then your jumping to the conclusion. Might I remind you who has played the most games in the past two season?

It's his net for now, I wouldn't expect to see Bernier back in before a back to back. Babcock indicated as much and I don't see him playing Bernier just for the sake of playing him he'll ride the hot goalie.

Paradoc

John Tavares is a Leaf!
Mar 13, 2013
Toronto
This is all pure speculation.

Which will happen anyways. Reimer contract is up this season and unless he steals the number one job, I don't see him coming back. The leafs also signed Bernier to a two-year contract so unless he flops or they give up on him twenty games in, which is weird considering the length of his contract, I'm willing to bet that's what is going to happen.

TeamBester

Debunked
Feb 15, 2010
Kingston, Ontario
Umm no he hasn't. If we're judging based on a 10 game sample then your jumping to the conclusion. Might I remind you who has played the most games in the past two season?

Bernier was brought in and handed the job. Babcock actually stuck to his word about playing the goalie that deserves to play, unlike the last two years. Guess we will see. Reimer starts next game even tho not having the best game tonight.

BorntoLose

Nov 4, 2014

well i think its safe to say Bernier has A LOT of work to do to earn back his spot. His starts are going to be more limited and so far hes failed to grab the starting position given every opportunity its pretty clear who Babcock is more confident in.

MikeBabchuk

Mike Bobcat
May 24, 2013
Toronto

That's like saying Bernier hadn't won the starting job by late November 2013. He clearly had at that point lol.

Did he lose it? Yes.

Can Reimer lose it? Yes.

MJ65

Jul 12, 2009
Toronto
Bernier was brought in and handed the job. Babcock actually stuck to his word about playing the goalie that deserves to play, unlike the last two years. Guess we will see. Reimer starts next game even tho not having the best game tonight.

Bernier is going to get a start at some point, no matter how awful he is

Paradoc

John Tavares is a Leaf!
Mar 13, 2013
Toronto
lol what
Bernier: 0-7-1, .895 save %, 3.17 GAA
Reimer: 7-3-4, .934, 2.07 GAA
It's not even close. Bernier had a .867 in his last start, including a goal against from center ice
There is no way Babcock isn't going with Reimer going forward like what are you on?
"Since the start of 2012-13, Jonathan Bernier has a .917 SV%, ranking 14th among goaltenders with min, 120 games"

I don't know. Should we give up on Bernier because he has having the worst moment in his career? Is that what Columbus should do with Bob or Colorado with Varlamov? Like I said, Bernier has up until his contract is over to prove he is the leafs future net minder.

CantLoseWithMatthews

Sep 28, 2015
"Since the start of 2012-13, Jonathan Bernier has a .917 SV%, ranking 14th among goaltenders with min, 120 games"

I don't know. Should we give up on Bernier because he has having the worst moment in his career? Is that what Columbus should do with Bob or Colorado with Varlamov? Like I said, Bernier has up until his contract is over to prove he is the leafs future net minder.

I'm just saying that Bernier's made the choice pretty easy for Babcock. I'm not saying Reimer is definitely a better goalie, but he's certainly acting like it and the starter's job is his to lose

Paradoc

John Tavares is a Leaf!
Mar 13, 2013
Toronto
That's like saying Bernier hadn't won the starting job by late November 2013. He clearly had at that point lol.

Did he lose it? Yes.

Can Reimer lose it? Yes.

Reimer can lose it, but should we really rely on a goaltender who has played at most 37 games in a season? At least Bernier had 55 games of elite season and showed signs of being a top ten goaltender until last Christmas.

I don't know. I just don't like giving up on a goaltender who's having the worst moment in his career, especially with the talent Bernier possesses.

MikeBabchuk

Mike Bobcat
May 24, 2013
Toronto
Which will happen anyways. Reimer contract is up this season and unless he steals the number one job, I don't see him coming back. The leafs also signed Bernier to a two-year contract so unless he flops or they give up on him twenty games in, which is weird considering the length of his contract, I'm willing to bet that's what is going to happen.

Sure, if Reimer plays 50+ games while keeping his pace steady (every goalie has ups and downs and of course regression to the mean applies for any goalie over the course of a season) he will probably be the incumbent starter in Babcock's mind and he'll want him re-signed.

Bernier is a huge question mark. Literally anything could happen with him.

Paradoc

John Tavares is a Leaf!
Mar 13, 2013
Toronto
Sure, if Reimer plays 50+ games while keeping his pace steady (every goalie has ups and downs and of course regression to the mean applies for any goalie over the course of a season) he will probably be the incumbent starter in Babcock's mind and he'll want him re-signed.

But he has never played 50 + games so how can you assume he can keep up with that play throughout the entire season?

Paradoc

John Tavares is a Leaf!
Mar 13, 2013
Toronto
I'm just saying that Bernier's made the choice pretty easy for Babcock. I'm not saying Reimer is definitely a better goalie, but he's certainly acting like it and the starter's job is his to lose

For now yes, but he hasn't completely stolen the job. If Bernier puts together a couple of good performances he can easily get the job back.

MikeBabchuk

Mike Bobcat
May 24, 2013
Toronto
Reimer can lose it, but should we really rely on a goaltender who has played at most 37 games in a season? At least Bernier had 55 games of elite season and showed signs of being a top ten goaltender until last Christmas.

I don't know. I just don't like giving up on a goaltender who's having the worst moment in his career, especially with the talent Bernier possesses.

Reimer has a shot at playing 55+ this year. He has that to prove still, for sure.

Bernier will likely play one of the back to backs against the Jets or Wild coming up soon. Unfortunately his performance in his next game carries a ton of weight, so who knows what will happen. Bad game he could be waived (even this doesn't mean he's gone, especially because it would be bad business from a team to claim him and take on his deal without shedding one of their own, but also because he would get a chance to play a string of games in the AHL to hopefully regain confidence and form). Good game, he'll earn enough confidence to play again in the next back to back, and you go from there.

Trapper

Nov 21, 2013
We should have won that game but great effort any ways

Actually Leafs should have lost.
Bozak's goal was offside, Bruins missed it and didn't challenge.
They were lucky to get a point.

zeke

The Dube Abides
Mar 14, 2005
I was gonna break my TV in the 1st. Team just didn't show up.

But then they did, and dominated the last two. This was their best game in a few weeks. Back to how they looked to start the year.

OvenMittz*

Wierd how we lost a game where Bozak plays more minutes than Kadri

Babs I wonder if we lost faith in Bozak at shootout?

Nice 2 points for Tyler. Raising his trade value
:laugh:

You got to be trolling.

Babs isn't playing Bozie in the shootout because you go with the hot hand. Holland, Lupul and PA have been good lately. It's nothing against Bozie.

Also its weird how you compare Kadri and Bozak and justify by TOI, when we lost more games when Kadri had the most TOI than any center. Bozak is beating Kadri out, and will probably be playing top line soon if it werent for the chemistry he build with Matthias and PA.

Just face it man, i was right.. bozak is playing better and Kadri is struggling. Are you seriously going to say that Kadri is playing better than bozak is so far this season?

zeke

The Dube Abides
Mar 14, 2005

and since the start of 2012-13, Reimer has a .916sv%, ranking 15th among goaltenders with min. 119gms.

The Examiner

Jun 24, 2013
Actually Leafs should have lost.
Bozak's goal was offside, Bruins missed it and didn't challenge.
They were lucky to get a point.

That's ridiculous. Even if the goal didn't count, it would have changed the whole dynamic of the game. Do you actually think the rest of the second and the third period would have played out exactly how it did? Maybe the Leafs score 8 goals after that. The Bruins were lucky they didn't challenge that because if the goal didn't count, the Leafs would have scored 8 goals and won. See I can say stupid things too. Use your head and don't be so obtuse.

KGL

Auston 3:16
Sep 5, 2014
Lmfao Reimer hasn't won the job. They are just playing a hot goaltender. He isn't going to be here anyways. Bernier has at least this year and next to try and be a number one goaltender but I don't think it will happen.

You need to pay closer attention, buddy.

OvenMittz*

What return can we get for Bozak if he keeps up this beast play?

He is leading the team in points with 4 less games than most players.

the asking price was a 2nd, but now i think we can raise it up a bit.

Do we keep him (he would be pretty cheap for the production he brings, now that we know hes doing it without kessel) and trade Kadri instead, who will be asking for more $$ while playing worse. If Kadri agree's to a 2-3 yr deal at around 4.5 (If he doesn't break out) i won't mind keeping him just to fill a spot and hope he breaks out closer to when his contract ends and then try to trade him.

But Bozaks play is making me wonder what we can get in return, or if the return wouldn't be that great it might be better to keep him?

hockeywiz542

May 26, 2008
Toronto Maple Leafs head coach Mike Babcock addresses the media following Toronto's 4-3 shootout loss to Boston on Monday night.

Trapper

Nov 21, 2013
That's ridiculous. Even if the goal didn't count, it would have changed the whole dynamic of the game. Do you actually think the rest of the second and the third period would have played out exactly how it did? Maybe the Leafs score 8 goals after that. The Bruins were lucky they didn't challenge that because if the goal didn't count, the Leafs would have scored 8 goals and won. See I can say stupid things too. Use your head and don't be so obtuse.

That's ridiculous. Even if the goal didn't count, it would have changed the whole dynamic of the game. Maybe the Bruins realize that they were playing with fire and don't allow the Leafs to score by cracking down defensively.
I agreed, you can say stupid things.
But at least you are being acute instead of obtuse.

TML1

Oct 18, 2014

To use your own words this is pure speculation. :laugh:

Ad

Upcoming events

• Gold Coast Suns @ Brisbane Lions
    Gold Coast Suns @ Brisbane Lions
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $36,790.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Cagliari vs Lecce
    Cagliari vs Lecce
    Wagers: 2