Post-Game Talk: Leafs Lose (again) 7-3 to Tampa Bay

Status
Not open for further replies.

GQS

Aug 2, 2005
Not saying its all Freddy's fault, but he sure as hell ain't a positive difference maker on this team. Again I'll say that he won't ever be the goalie that leads the Leafs far in the playoffs.

Nineteen67

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 12, 2017
QUOTE="Throw More Waffles, post: 165281777, member: 259735"]Steve Dangle said before the season started that the leafs October schedule is so ridiculous that he'd be thrilled if they're .500 by the end of the month. He also said that leaf nation will probably be irate by the end of October, but they're underestimating how horrible the leafs October schedule was.

I sort of agree with him.

But at the same time... the leafs really just don't look very good.[/QUOTE]

I’ve been harping on the schedule since camp started and no one believed me. In my estimation they are 1 point ahead of schedule but they’ve looked terrible doing it.
If they are listless in Detroit and lose, I’d fire him on Sunday.

Blanche Blanche

Torontoooooo
Dec 2, 2017
Toronto
A weird familiar systemic break down starting by burning the 4th line playing the other teams top line.

All the plays up the ice are rushed. Its just pass and pray.

Since January 2019 we have been a 500. team.
And after a huge team roster switch, D upgrades, no contract distractions, and 2 new assistant coaches - one has to wonder if Babcock is the right guy.

Matthews, Moore and Barrie are the only consistent bright spots on this team.

Nithoniniel

Sep 7, 2012
Skövde, Sweden
That was an absolutely brutal game. I'd say about 7 of the goals against came after unforced, or close to, mistakes. And Babcock coached the kind of game that made you wonder if he's a sleeper agent.

Great
Matthews
Nylander
Kerfoot - The above is more obvious. I think Kerfoot had a solid work ethic, and combined that with a couple of awesome passes that nearly connected for great chances. He also carried the puck well, and was solid in our zone.

Fine
Johnsson
Tavares
Moore
Muzzin

Bad
Marner
Kapanen
Mikheyev
Spezza
Gauthier
Petan
Rielly
Ceci
Barrie
Sandin
Holl
Andersen - Andersen couldn't save a zeppelin tonight, if one was thrown towards the net. It would probably slide in 5 hole.

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
Not saying its all Freddy's fault, but he sure as hell ain't a positive difference maker on this team. Again I'll say that he won't ever be the goalie that leads the Leafs far in the playoffs.

Freddy often sucks in October, but you do wonder if he can be the guy who can keep his team in it when everything is melting down. And the answer is probably not.

Gallagbi

Formerly Eazy_B97
Jul 5, 2005
It’s very possible that Point is superior to our three players and there isn’t even any shame in that statement.

That said, Marner is looking like he has Mike Komisarek syndrome. Overpaid and feeling remorseful about it and running around like a chicken with it’s head cut off to try and compensate.

I can’t figure out what’s wrong with Tavares, but it’s very clear that Marner’s big statistical year had a lot to do with Tavares having success.
Big issue with Tavares is the situation IMO. He's the defensive presence, the forechecker and the backchecker on that line right now. He's working while Kap and Marner turn pucks over and make stupid decisions

IPS

Sep 28, 2017
I imagine Nylander's asking himself why he's working his ass off so much only to play 15-16 minutes a game despite being the 2nd best forward on the team ATM. This is real accountability in action folks!

MapleLeafs77

Oct 20, 2017
Marner/tavares need to step it up huge.

Rielly also needs to way better.

Andersen hasn’t been his normal self either.

Four of our top five players are way off.

Matthews and nylander are playing great. As is our third line.

Havoc

Jul 25, 2009
It’s very possible that Point is superior to our three players and there isn’t even any shame in that statement.

That said, Marner is looking like he has Mike Komisarek syndrome. Overpaid and feeling remorseful about it and running around like a chicken with it’s head cut off to try and compensate.

I can’t figure out what’s wrong with Tavares, but it’s very clear that Marner’s big statistical year had a lot to do with Tavares having success.

Matthews would have had 5 goals tonight if he was in Point's spot alongside Kucherov and Stamkos. We didn't challenge that line at all.

Very easy first game for Point. Let's not overrate him now.

The Kessel Run

Jun 7, 2011
It was a strange game, really, albeit a terrible one to watch as a Leaf fan.

Leafs came out and played quite well in stretches for the first. Unfortunately, there were constant penalties (a few questionable) that broke that up. Our PK was of beer-league calibre vs. Tampa's PP. They toyed with us at length. Ah well, we still generated lots at 5-on-5 and had it within one.
Second period was a fairly non-eventful period, which is fine, but we let in another stinker - down 2. Andy unravels in the third, and the team completely packs up and winds up getting blown out. You could probably peg the loss on Andy's inability to make a key save, but team D and special teams were abysmal and that's not gonna cut it.

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
A weird familiar systemic break down starting by burning the 4th line playing the other teams top line.

All the plays up the ice are rushed. Its just pass and pray.

Since January 2019 we have been a 500. team.
And after a huge team roster switch, D upgrades, no contract distractions, and 2 new assistant coaches - one has to wonder if Babcock is the right guy.

Matthews, Moore and Barrie are the only consistent bright spots on this team.

Agreed. But it’s disheartening when you see Dubas doubling down on those economy sized semi skilled forwards. It’s like he’s loading up on Jason Blake type guys without the scoring touch.

hullsy47

Dec 7, 2005
I agree u gotta pull freddy after 1
Anybody here who played this game knew he didn't have it
Babs needed to yank him

Reactions: saffronleaf
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad