Post-Game Talk: Leafs lose 6-4

Status
Not open for further replies.

18leafsfan18

Jul 28, 2012
Ontario
Not sure how Rielly played that so horribly. Him and McDavid were the only ones in the zone. Who was a McDavid looking at?

he’s getting walked regularly this year

McDavid is the best player in the league, he made an amazing play and beat Rielly.

I'm not arguing that Rielly hasn't been good this year, but all Defence get beat sometimes.

18leafsfan18

Jul 28, 2012
Ontario
Decision to pull Andersen was iffy, i can see why he was upset with it. Keefe immediately rushing to calm him down was a bad look imo.

I completely disagree.

The pull made a lot of sense, the team scored 30 seconds after the pull, sometimes you need to pull the goalie to give the team a kick in the butt.

Going down to let him know why was also the right move.

Just my opinion though.

18leafsfan18

Jul 28, 2012
Ontario
Don't hate Oilers fans or anything, but I have a question: why are Flames fans so much calmer than Oilers fans?

4 First overall picks in the last 10 years.

Basically nothing to show for it.

It wears on a fanbase, likely the same reason we get so many Leafs fans who act the same way (Long time losers).

Reactions: Konami McDavid

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
First game I went to this season...we were brutal. Right when they gave us hope for a comeback, we took a penalty or gave up a goal.

You'll be happy to know I probably can't afford to attend another one.
Poor result but watching McDavid play like that was worth every penny.
Too bad they only come once a year.

Rare Jewel

Patience
Jan 11, 2007
Leaf Land
I think Holl was horribly exposed last night. 3 minor penalties, giveaways, poor positioning, etc. He can’t carry Marincin. Holl has to be the complementary piece he is when he’s with Muzzin.

Yeah, but that hasn't been the case often. The last game against Edmonton he was terrific against McDavid and Draisaitl. Last night was different because they were apart and Keefe opted more for Rielly and Barrie with Tavares' line against McDavid and Matthews up against Draisaitl which didn't really work for few reasons.

Last edited:
Reactions: Jimmy Firecracker

Peasy

May 25, 2012
Star Shoppin
Its unbelievable how McDavid is dangerous anytime he has the puck.

Its unfortunate that anytime the Leafs got some momentum it was completely erased with a goal against or a penalty. Several stupid penalties last night...

The reffing was also pretty atrocious.

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site
I think Holl was horribly exposed last night. 3 minor penalties, giveaways, poor positioning, etc. He can’t carry Marincin. Holl has to be the complementary piece he is when he’s with Muzzin.

Can I ask who wasn't horribly exposed last night?

McDavid and/or Draisaitl were in on 5 of the 6 goals.

Rielly -3, so even strength goals against, but it was $700k Marincin's fault. ;)

Both teams scored one PPG, so it was and even strength game win.

Leafs scored 4 goals, but we know defending isn't their strong point, they needed 7 :laugh:.

Marchment 1st. point.
Brooks 2nd. point.

Engvall.

They're getting there ... still a journey.

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
Is almost not fair as McDavid is not human.

Rielly better get use to seeing that play, because that McDavid goal is going to be in played often among the plays of the year.

Commander Clueless

Hiya, hiya. Pleased to meetcha.
Sep 10, 2008
Our defense is in shambles right now....which is sort of impressive given where it started.

Props to the Oilers for a good game.

Freddy didn't have a good game, but it's hard to truly blame him for anything behind that D.

Time to throw Sandin and Liljegren to the wolves? Here's hoping they can be the Engvalls of our defense.

gtforepro

Feb 9, 2013
Toronto
NoDepositBonus.cc
Sucks to lose to such a team but I'm not even mad.
I was thinking the Leafs would win 7-6 right up to the last few minutes. Didn't happen but it wouldnt have surprised me.
The effort and compete was off all nite. They were stuck in 2nd gear it seemed and the loss was bound to happen sooner or later. They still spotted 4 goals playing like ass.
Onto the next.

Yeah I thought it was going to be another 8-6 game. :) I was at the Carolina game, and this one I was following on my phone while taking my kids to see Star Wars again. Way better the 2nd time, to be honest...

Reactions: KIWILEAFFAN

Warden of the North

Ned Stark's head
Apr 28, 2006
Muskoka
Our defense is in shambles right now....which is sort of impressive given where it started.

Props to the Oilers for a good game.

Freddy didn't have a good game, but it's hard to truly blame him for anything behind that D.

Time to throw Sandin and Liljegren to the wolves? Here's hoping they can be the Engvalls of our defense.

Meh. Our defense had one of its best games Saturday.

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site
Is almost not fair as McDavid is not human.

Rielly better get use to seeing that play, because that McDavid goal is going to be in played often among the plays of the year.

That was pretty.

I watch quite a bit of the Oilers but that was one of the better clear one-v-one demolitions I've seen. But to be fair Rielly's been the victim of quite a bit of those exposures this year, and it doesn't take a McDavid to do it, it just took a McDavid to make it look effortless.

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
Can I ask who wasn't horribly exposed last night?

They're getting there ... still a journey.

Our Leafs didn't play well against Winnipeg, but caught some lucky breaks and ended up on the positive side of a 6-3 game and yesterday they didn't play well and came up on the wrong side of a 6-4 game.

As long as Leafs stars stay hot we should win more than we lose when we get into these shootout type matches, but still plenty of room for improvement for Leafs defensively in both wins and losses.

Our secondary scoring seems to be the ones that are steadily contributing. Engvall has been excellent since his recall, and Marchment made a beauty of a pass to Freddy G yesterday.

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site
Our Leafs didn't play well against Winnipeg, but caught some lucky breaks and ended up on the positive side of a 6-3 game and yesterday they didn't play well and came up on the wrong side of a 6-4 game.

As long as Leafs stars stay hot we should win more than we lose when we get into these shootout type matches, but still plenty of room for improvement for Leafs defensively in both wins and losses.

Our secondary scoring seems to be the ones that are steadily contributing. Engvall has been excellent since his recall, and Marchment made a beauty of a pass to Freddy G yesterday.

Yes, in Winnipeg they went into the 3rd. period not needing any offense and the Jets had to open it up. Leafs were always losing last night, and the 3rd. period PPG put the Oilers into the same situation, not needing any more offense.

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site
This. It had to happen some time, not the end of the world. Tomorrow's a new day, and more importantly a new game. It would be nice to win, let the taste of last night's loss fade and get ready and rested for the next one.

And they won't be playing against the best offensive player in the game.

However, they have to be better than they were in Winnipeg.

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
Yes, in Winnipeg they went into the 3rd. period not needing any offense and the Jets had to open it up. Leafs were always losing last night, and the 3rd. period PPG put the Oilers into the same situation, not needing any more offense.

Agreed .. Leafs systematically and personnel wise are structured to play better from in front.

When ahead Leafs allow the opposition to chase game and then get exposed by Leafs offensive talent when they make mistakes. When the Leafs are chasing a game they similarly get exposed for their defensive game as they take risks offensively including sometimes both dmen pinching and forcing the attack, which can then result in what we witnessed yesterday.

A main difference in the win - loss record between Babcock and Keefe is that under the previous coach Leafs often fell behind early, and then got exposed defensively regularly, and now Leafs more often than not have reversed that early game script and been playing from ahead, and that plays to their offensive strengths and skills as they take advantage and make the opposition pay for gambling and taking risks while chasing the game. With Leafs offensive skill level it doesn't take much to quick strike on opposition mistakes and post a win while masking their known weakness of team defense.

Leafs overall game play verses Winnipeg and Edmonton wasn't much different, with both deserving of losses giving up high quality scoring chances against in both, but it was the game script that was different and at the core of the difference in end results.

Last edited:

Vaive50

Dec 24, 2015
This. It had to happen some time, not the end of the world. Tomorrow's a new day, and more importantly a new game. It would be nice to win, let the taste of last night's loss fade and get ready and rested for the next one.

Right on, we lost to a team fighting for any playoff hopes not to mention that they have the 2 best players in the world. Every team loses but what's important is how we respond to this loss, hopefully we'll respond like we did after our last regulation loss to Calgary and not like what's happening to the Bruins and Islanders these days.

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
Right on, we lost to a team fighting for any playoff hopes not to mention that they have the 2 best players in the world. Every team loses but what's important is how we respond to this loss, hopefully we'll respond like we did after our last regulation loss to Calgary and not like what's happening to the Bruins and Islanders these days.
That is a stretch.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad