Post-Game Talk: Leafs lose 6-4

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sniper99

Jan 12, 2011
Edmonton
We were overdue for a regulation loss. That being said, we should have at least gotten to overtime last night if Freddy was on his game.

Hopefully Freddy can rebound tomorrow against Winnipeg.

the 5 guys in front of him weren't on their game either.

hotpaws

Nov 21, 2009
Like I said he could have forced the shot on the 1 on 1 or he could have taken a corkscrew penalty. He got beat down low between the top of circle and hash marks. There was almost no more room to back up. and he should have easily seen there were 3 Leafs on the backcheck ahead of any Oiler. These types of plays come down to getting more reps but then again there are so few guys with McJesus speed. I guarantee you he will not get beat like that again. He has already processed it. But it takes time to learn to be a pro defender, a lot of time.
McD started the move above the circle and after viewing the replay multiple times again just now i'm even more amazed he was able to pull that off .

he crossed the blue line and stated gliding to the middle while looking back , Rielly had perfect position and the correct gap and i don't think he even bought the McD fake potential pass , it looks like he may have just simply took a step inside to cover McD who started to look like he was going to accelerate inside then exploded with one crossover to the outside and then exploded back inside around him

just an unbelievable play and while i didn't like it happened to my team i'm just going to applaud and enjoy watching a tremendous player

BAM

Nov 21, 2016
Our Leafs didn't play well against Winnipeg, but caught some lucky breaks and ended up on the positive side of a 6-3 game and yesterday they didn't play well and came up on the wrong side of a 6-4 game.

As long as Leafs stars stay hot we should win more than we lose when we get into these shootout type matches, but still plenty of room for improvement for Leafs defensively in both wins and losses.

Our secondary scoring seems to be the ones that are steadily contributing. Engvall has been excellent since his recall, and Marchment made a beauty of a pass to Freddy G yesterday.
Conveniently going to ignore the Isles game.

Mess gunna Mess...

Reactions: Auston 316

Leaf4Life

Feb 8, 2010
McD started the move above the circle and after viewing the replay multiple times again just now i'm even more amazed he was able to pull that off .

he crossed the blue line and stated gliding to the middle while looking back , Rielly had perfect position and the correct gap and i don't think he even bought the McD fake potential pass , it looks like he may have just simply took a step inside to cover McD who started to look like he was going to accelerate inside then exploded with one crossover to the outside and then exploded back inside around him

just an unbelievable play and while i didn't like it happened to my team i'm just going to applaud and enjoy watching a tremendous player

I think the main problem was Rielly had just stepped on the ice on a change and was caught in no man's land. He was way too far away from McD when McD received the pass and therefore had to slow down and wait for him. You can see when Mcd made the move Rielly was basically at a standstill and was caught flat footed. Plus Rielly made one crossover the wrong way which really put him in a bad spot.

Not much Rielly could have done except possibly back up much more which would've given up even more gap to McD to do something else.

Konami McDavid

May 1, 2015
Edmonton
I don't post often, and very rarely on another team's board. I am making an exception. I came here to read a bunch of salty comments, trashing of my team/fanbase, and excuses about the game last night. The reputation of leaf fans is very negative where I'm from.

I have been pleasantly surprised.

Outside of this thread being pulled in that direction around page 10 (only by a few individuals and it was brought back on track quickly), I have read many good insights and analysis. Thank you for defying my expectation.

Please excuse the loud voice of the insufferable Oiler fans. There are some in every fan-base, and in many cases we ignore them as well.

Good luck the rest of the way. I would love to meet you in the playoffs some-time (once our rebuild version 7.2 is complete... gotta have hope)

Joey Hoser

Jan 8, 2008
Guelph
I don't post often, and very rarely on another team's board. I am making an exception. I came here to read a bunch of salty comments, trashing of my team/fanbase, and excuses about the game last night. The reputation of leaf fans is very negative where I'm from.

Outside of this thread being pulled in that direction around page 10 (only by a few individuals and it was brought back on track quickly), I have read many good insights and analysis. Thank you for defying my expectation.

Please excuse the loud voice of the insufferable Oiler fans. There are some in every fan-base, and in many cases we ignore them as well.

Good luck the rest of the way. I would love to meet you in the playoffs some-time (once our rebuild version 7.2 is complete... gotta have hope)

Leafs fans typically don't give a shit about the other team. If we lose, it's because our players are lazy, our gm is stupid, that guy makes too much money, because Don Cherry got fired, or because every other Leafs fan except me is a homer. It's got nothing to do with the other team.

TheTotalPackage

Sep 14, 2006
We've seen Marner make many d-men look foolish with his stick skills and it's always been more about his skill set than the d-man's definiciencies.

Let's give credit where credit is due. That was a helluva goal by McDavid. Maybe Rielly could have played it better, but who's to say McDavid wouldn't have broken his ankles and turnstiled him with another deke? What's impressive is that he went from a light skate to full throttle within three strides, and got Hutchinson swimming in the crease, all within 40 feet or so. That was a marvel to watch. He is simply a marvel to watch.

(I've never sworn louder in my life than when the lottery balls didn't end up being the Leafs' in the McDavid draft)

LeafSteel

GO LEAFS GO!!!
Mar 5, 2014
Toronto

I will drink to that bud!

Cheers!

:cheers:

Kazparov

Jan 2, 2017
We lost. Get over it. Move on and get to the next one.

Goal of the year candidate.

notDatsyuk

Jul 20, 2018
Conveniently going to ignore the Isles game.

Mess gunna Mess...
The Isles game was probably the worst of the three, but turned out ok. If not for the posts and Hutch's glove, we could easily have lost that one too.

notDatsyuk

Jul 20, 2018
We've seen Marner make many d-men look foolish with his stick skills and it's always been more about his skill set than the d-man's definiciencies.

Let's give credit where credit is due. That was a helluva goal by McDavid. Maybe Rielly could have played it better, but who's to say McDavid wouldn't have broken his ankles and turnstiled him with another deke? What's impressive is that he went from a light skate to full throttle within three strides, and got Hutchinson swimming in the crease, all within 40 feet or so. That was a marvel to watch. He is simply a marvel to watch.

(I've never sworn louder in my life than when the lottery balls didn't end up being the Leafs' in the McDavid draft)
Exactly right. I've coached a lot of kids in hockey, and other sports, and just about the hardest thing to do is to convince them that sometimes you didn't do anything wrong, but you just have to admit that the opposing player beat you.

Al14

Jul 13, 2007
I trust our Leafs sent the basketball to McDavid after last nights game! :eek:

Hopefully, the Oilers made McDavid send Rielly's jockstrap back.

lifelonghockeyfan

Dec 18, 2015
Lake Huron
One of the few games in the Keefe era, that the Leafs looked "confused" or "disinterested" most of the night. These things happen over the season. But give Oilers credit for being opportunistic and holding the back the Leafs (infrequent) surges when necessary.

Reactions: JT AM da real deal

willmma

Jan 5, 2017
The Oilers played well. McDavid was brilliant.
We also made many mistakes. The Oilers circled around our defense while our D scrambled like headless chickens for that first goal.

The positives is that we scored 4 goals.
But also this is an opportunity for the coaching staff to review tapes of mistakes made and find ways to correct them.

We cannot win every game. What we can do is learn from our failures. I am hoping that the team builds on this experience to improve the play going forward.

Reactions: JT AM da real deal
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad