Post-Game Talk: Leafs lose 6-4

Status
Not open for further replies.

JT AM da real deal

Oct 4, 2018
it's easy to see the play develop at home on the couch but McD was selling the pass hard and when Rielly took a quick peak to his left to see if who/anyone was coming McD used his explosive first steps to blow by him

just a great play by the easily the best player in the game and no reason to rag on Rielly
It was a great skilled speed play by world #1 no doubt but very easily countered by a seasoned defense. I could easily see it from my 2nd row blues. Worst case scenario you cork screw him to the ice. You can't get anywhere fast with a stick p ur ars*. But in todays no touch league yes it was a very fast play. My point was no need to allow a breakaway from that play. Selling a pass on his backhand with no one coming but 3 Leafs please. I like Rielly a lot but there was no excuse there.

JT AM da real deal

Oct 4, 2018
I agree with that, I was just explaining what it looked like Rielly was doing. I was surprised he bought the head fake so hard.

Normally Hainsey would be the last man back as Rielly is jumping into the play so I get what your saying about still learning to play defense.
Give McJesus credit it was a great fake by the world #1. But the ole corkscrew stops play dead every time. Take the 2 minutes when you are beat. There was no need for the breakaway.

Reactions: ToneDog

Warden of the North

Ned Stark's head
Apr 28, 2006
Muskoka
It was a great skilled speed play by world #1 no doubt but very easily countered by a seasoned defense. I could easily see it from my 2nd row blues. Worst case scenario you cork screw him to the ice. You can't get anywhere fast with a stick p ur ars*. But in todays no touch league yes it was a very fast play. My point was no need to allow a breakaway from that play. Selling a pass on his backhand with no one coming but 3 Leafs please. I like Rielly a lot but there was no excuse there.

Ahhh yes. You know how to stop the best player on the planet "easily" but an actual seasoned NHL defenseman has no excuse for not doing it. Right.

JT AM da real deal

Oct 4, 2018
Ahhh yes. You know how to stop the best player on the planet "easily" but an actual seasoned NHL defenseman has no excuse for not doing it. Right.
He is not seasoned yet. He is still a kid. At 25 years old he is maybe a year or two away still. This is pro hockey defense. It takes 7-10 years of pro development. We are not taking about a winger here. We are talking about the toughest position to play - defense. He will be fine. I can't wait for next 6-10 years of development at pro level by Lily and Sandin. You guys are going to go crazy.

Kamiccolo

Truly wonderful, the mind of a child is.
Aug 30, 2011
Undisclosed research facility
Feels like I am in twilight zone where I am one of the few not freaking out.

Team just went on an incredible run, we were due for a loss. Coming out of the wood work to say everything is on fire is laughable to me.

Similar to the state of the main board where winning 1 random game in Jan is like the cup after losing what, 10 in a row?

I would be more concerned if they lay another egg vs the Jets. That would be more inline with the attitude we saw under Babcock vs Keefe where they have been outworking other teams most nights.

Reactions: WTFMAN99

Pi

Nov 16, 2010
Toronto
I’m kind of glad Morgan got embarrassed on national TV. It might force him to actually start playing better because he’s been trash this season.

Pi

Nov 16, 2010
Toronto
Feels like I am in twilight zone where I am one of the few not freaking out.

Team just went on an incredible run, we were due for a loss. Coming out of the wood work to say everything is on fire is laughable to me.

Similar to the state of the main board where winning 1 random game in Jan is like the cup after losing what, 10 in a row?

I would be more concerned if they lay another egg vs the Jets. That would be more inline with the attitude we saw under Babcock vs Keefe where they have been outworking other teams most nights.

We were due for a stinker. 15-5-1 under Keefe and the team is playing really good hockey for the most part despite injuries.

I am not worried at all. Loss to the Oilers will wake em up to go on another win streak.

Warden of the North

Ned Stark's head
Apr 28, 2006
Muskoka
He is not seasoned yet. He is still a kid. At 25 years old he is maybe a year or two away still. This is pro hockey defense. It takes 7-10 years of pro development. We are not taking about a winger here. We are talking about the toughest position to play - defense. He will be fine. I can't wait for next 6-10 years of development at pro level by Lily and Sandin. You guys are going to go crazy.

Rielly has over 500 NHL games played in 7 NHL seasons. He is a veteran, and a top pair Dman on a playoff team.

Would Ron Hainsey have played it better? He has 1100~ games played?

Pi

Nov 16, 2010
Toronto

Who knows.

I wouldn’t want a goalie who is happy to be pulled. He shows he cares. He wanted to be out there with the team. Keefe had seen enough and yanked him. Why not give him more rest when the team is playing pond hockey in front of him.

JT AM da real deal

Oct 4, 2018
Is anyone else concerned that andersen is pissed at keefe for last night?
From stands it looked like he saw Keefe coming down the bench to talk to him and he threw his facemask. Could be just frustration? or could be signal to Keefe? Hard to tell. Maybe someone sitting in the platinums heard something?

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
Who knows.

I wouldn’t want a goalie who is happy to be pulled. He shows he cares. He wanted to be out there with the team. Keefe had seen enough and yanked him. Why not give him more rest when the team is playing pond hockey in front of him.
I hadn't even realized he had been pulled, we were chatting after the goal. Had 4 and we brought the wives so there was a little more chatting than normal.
I only knew he was out when I saw the goalie with his glove on the wrong hand.

Reactions: JT AM da real deal

JT AM da real deal

Oct 4, 2018
Rielly has over 500 NHL games played in 7 NHL seasons. He is a veteran, and a top pair Dman on a playoff team.

Would Ron Hainsey have played it better? He has 1100~ games played?
Yes Hainsey would have taken the penalty. Even a guy 2 years older in Holl took the penalty to stop the breakaway. Rielly is still a kid and he is still learning. As hard as it it to understand it is pro hockey and defense takes a very long time to learn.

hotpaws

Nov 21, 2009
sure you could see no one but 3 Leafs were coming from your seats but until Rielly took his eyes off McD for a split second to see who was coming he didn't know who was coming and that's what McD was waiting on to blow by him

and McD blows by seasoned vets as well so while Rielly is having a poor season defensively and can be knocked for that , on this play it's just an insanely skilled insanely fast player making a typical great play by him and he was blowing by our team all night

also McD is not only the best player in the game but he'll also go down as one of the greatest players ever and we should just enjoy watching this type of talent and not rag on guys he makes look like a pylons because he does that on a regular basis

hotpaws

Nov 21, 2009
Who knows.

we play pond hockey in front of our goalies every game , we've just been outscoring the opposition on most nights

JT AM da real deal

Oct 4, 2018
sure you could see no one but 3 Leafs were coming from your seats but until Rielly took his eyes off McD for a split second to see who was coming he didn't know who was coming and that's what McD was waiting on to blow by him

and McD blows by seasoned vets as well so while Rielly is having a poor season defensively and can be knocked for that , on this play it's just an insanely skilled insanely fast player making a typical great play by him and he was blowing by our team all night

also McD is not only the best player in the game but he'll also go down as one of the greatest players ever and we should just enjoy watching this type of talent and not rag on guys he makes look like a pylons because he does that on a regular basis
A seasoned pro vet defender could figure out that play before McJesus even had the puck. But it takes a lot of bad beats to learn where to be and what to expect before the play occurs to learn pro defense. It is only a matter of more reps.

Rare Jewel

Patience
Jan 11, 2007
Leaf Land
Is anyone else concerned that andersen is pissed at keefe for last night?

I'm not sure how feel about that. I kind of thought it was too rash and sensitive to pull him. They're always better off having him in net. He probably should've gone back to him in the third.

hotpaws

Nov 21, 2009
A seasoned pro vet defender could figure out that play before McJesus even had the puck. But it takes a lot of bad beats to learn where to be and what to expect before the play occurs to learn pro defense. It is only a matter of more reps.
the only thing a D could do to limit the blow by's is to give a larger cushion but then that causes different problems by giving him easy entries and plenty of room to operate

McD creates the high volume of scoring chances he does on nightly basis because he can't be covered legally one on one , it takes multiple players to clog areas and take time and space away from him to limit him creating scoring chances .

and while Rielly bought the potential pass the truth is few if any players other than McD could have pulled the move he did in the split second Rielly took his eyes off him

Last edited:

JT AM da real deal

Oct 4, 2018
the only thing a D could do to limit the blow by's to to give a larger cushion but then that causes different problems by giving him easy entries and plenty of room to operate

McD creates the high volume of scoring chances he does on nightly basis because he can't be covered legally one on one , it takes multiple players to clog areas and take time and space away from him to limit him creating scoring chances .

and while Rielly bought the potential pass the truth is few if any players other than McD could have pulled the move he did in the split second Rielly took his eyes off him
Like I said he could have forced the shot on the 1 on 1 or he could have taken a corkscrew penalty. He got beat down low between the top of circle and hash marks. There was almost no more room to back up. and he should have easily seen there were 3 Leafs on the backcheck ahead of any Oiler. These types of plays come down to getting more reps but then again there are so few guys with McJesus speed. I guarantee you he will not get beat like that again. He has already processed it. But it takes time to learn to be a pro defender, a lot of time.

JT AM da real deal

Oct 4, 2018
I hadn't even realized he had been pulled, we were chatting after the goal. Had 4 and we brought the wives so there was a little more chatting than normal.
I only knew he was out when I saw the goalie with his glove on the wrong hand.
Been there done that. My wifey won't go anymore. She was so ticked after getting dragged to Boston from her family place in Connecticut to watch that crap from the NHL refs. So upside is I get to watch games now in full without loading up on the red wine pre-game.

Blanche Blanche

Torontoooooo
Dec 2, 2017
Toronto
Been there done that. My wifey won't go anymore. She was so ticked after getting dragged to Boston from her family place in Connecticut to watch that crap from the NHL refs. So upside is I get to watch games now in full without loading up on the red wine pre-game.

Yep. You know its blatant corrupt reffing when the people seeing the game who barely know hockey can see the refs are bought out with Bettman, Jacobs money for the sake of USA TV ratings.

My Girlfriends literal words last year Gm2.
"If youre allowed to hit someone hard into the boards, why are the Leafs only getting penalties on the same thing"??

Lost interest after that.

Reactions: IPS

ToneDog

56 years and counting. #FireTheShanaClan!
Jun 11, 2017
Richmond Hill, ON

Our dmen stick check and rarely use their bodies to slow down forwrds. I just hope our Boy Wonder saw how the Oilers shredded our D last night and does something to upgrade the D soon.

Sniper99

Jan 12, 2011
Edmonton
Oiler fans are insecure because they know it's only a matter of time before McDavid wants out.

The Oilers had 4 first overall picks, a 7th overall pick, a 4th overall pick and a 3rd overall pick in the last decade and look at them lmfao.

LOL just stop with that *********

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad