Post-Game Talk: Leafs Lose 6-3 to the Isles (Post game starts on page 18)

zeke

The Dube Abides
Mar 14, 2005
Remember how much Raycroft's 37 wins were heralded, despite his atrocious sv%? If they win a few games suddenly all the goals against become not the goalie's fault...

too many crappy ex-goalies behind the microphones in leafland, always making excuses for them.

Trapper

Nov 21, 2013
:amazed:

Ouch. I knew it was bad but that is :shakehead

It's not the number of wins (9) that concerns me. It's possible to play well and lose most of your games; 2-1, 1-0. It's the SV% that is concerning.

All we can ask of our goalies is that they stop the shots they should and sometimes stop the shots they shouldn't. It's up to the team to limit the number of shots they shouldn't. The sub .900 SV% is showing that Bernier is not always stopping the shots he should.

johnny_rudeboy

Mar 20, 2006
Karlstad
It's not the number of wins (9) that concerns me. It's possible to play well and lose most of your games; 2-1, 1-0. It's the SV% that is concerning.

All we can ask of our goalies is that they stop the shots they should and sometimes stop the shots they shouldn't. It's up to the team to limit the number of shots they shouldn't. The sub .900 SV% is showing that Bernier is not always stopping the shots he should.

46 games is a pretty large sample over a year and he only won 9 of those. I dont like to credit wins and losses to the goalies to much but even if you are a mediocre goalie and played for last seasons Buffalo team you would get more wins then 9 from 46 games. He only win every fifth game and that is really bad.

And yes, his SV% has taken a nose dive as well.

I think Bernier is in a bit of dilemma. He does not have the focus and concentration to play for a team that limits shots against and he gets over worked and injured when he plays for a run and gun type of team with many shots against.

Trapper

Nov 21, 2013
46 games is a pretty large sample over a year and he only won 9 of those. I dont like to credit wins and losses to the goalies to much but even if you are a mediocre goalie and played for last seasons Buffalo team you would get more wins then 9 from 46 games. He only win every fifth game and that is really bad.

And yes, his SV% has taken a nose dive as well.

I think Bernier is in a bit of dilemma. He does not have the focus and concentration to play for a team that limits shots against and he gets over worked and injured when he plays for a run and gun type of team with many shots against.

I would not be surprised if the are trying to move Bernier. I wouldn't be surprised to see us finish the year with Reimer/Sparks tandem. (I wouldn't be surprised if we re-signed Reimer either).
Trouble is right now, Bernier has little to no value. If we do get a decent offer, I'd take it. Or packaged in a deal. He might be a risk worth taking for a team who thinks they can fix the problems. With only 1 year left on his deal it won't sink a team. Then if expansion comes, that team can let him go if needed.

Clark4Ever

What we do in hockey echoes in eternity...
Oct 10, 2010
T.O.
6 goals allowed on 15 shots. Is there anything else that needs to be said?

johnny_rudeboy

Mar 20, 2006
Karlstad
I would not be surprised if the are trying to move Bernier. I wouldn't be surprised to see us finish the year with Reimer/Sparks tandem. (I wouldn't be surprised if we re-signed Reimer either).
Trouble is right now, Bernier has little to no value. If we do get a decent offer, I'd take it. Or packaged in a deal. He might be a risk worth taking for a team who thinks they can fix the problems. With only 1 year left on his deal it won't sink a team. Then if expansion comes, that team can let him go if needed.

If one was to break down goalie attributes like they do in video games Bernier would most likely be top on the team when it comes to glove hand, rebound control, agility and many other key attributes. He just cant get it together and if that is a lack of self confidence or mental weakness or a combination of both I dont know. But things simply dont go his way.
I do think they want to move him but is there really any one who wants to gamble on him? He is not really a cheap backup.

6 goals allowed on 15 shots. Is there anything else that needs to be said?

If it was just the one game then it would be but this is the level one can expect from Bernier today and that is very worrying. So best wishes to him elsewhere.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad