Post-Game Talk: Leafs lose 6-3, Andersen was great again.

Kazparov

Jan 2, 2017
Yep not Freddies fault, the slot was wide open they could tee up shots all night, there was no compete at all from the buds last night, it was sad I feel sorry for the people who payed to watch the game! they will be better tomm night I hope.
Freddy didn't play well either. I agree he got hung out to dry but he should have made some of those saves

White Shadow

Jan 7, 2016
Two arguably three of the goals were saves Andersen had to make. Andersen is an easy target because he hasn't been that good. That doesn't mean breakdowns don't happen but part of a goalies job is covering up those breakdowns. Andersen isn't absolved of all faults just because someone gave away the puck. He needs more help but he also needs to play better, he had the same problem last October just we didn't outscore our problems as much.

Of the 6 goals, 5 were from right between the hash marks in the slot. Of those 5, 1 was a tip.

No goaltender should be blamed for goals scored from there. Why? Because good defensive teams don't give up that shot.

Reactions: PromisedLand

leaffaninvancouver

formerly in Victoria
Jan 11, 2012
Of the 6 goals, 5 were from right between the hash marks in the slot. Of those 5, 1 was a tip.

No goaltender should be blamed for goals scored from there. Why? Because good defensive teams don't give up that shot.

You have a strange view of a goalie, I expect them to stop difficult shots not just the easy ones personally. Andersen played poorly last night, he wasn't the only one but he did nothing to help the team.

leaffaninvancouver

formerly in Victoria
Jan 11, 2012
Man with JVR being okay to play yesterday but not being at practice and then also having Babcock seemingly writing in Leivo's name for tomorrow already, feel Babcock has his targets on mainly JVR

Y'all are dumb if you think Babcock doesn't get to coach us 5 years minimum
People are being really stupid for some reason, Babcock isn't going anywhere and neither is Andersen he still had a bad game though.

Suntouchable13

Dec 20, 2003
Toronto, ON
You have a strange view of a goalie, I expect them to stop difficult shots not just the easy ones personally. Andersen played poorly last night, he wasn't the only one but he did nothing to help the team.

Focusing on the goalie is the wrong thing to do. Fixing team D should be the priority for the Leafs. Andersen has not been really good, no, but first team D should be fixed then you can look at the goaltending.

Reactions: Sonny21

leaffaninvancouver

formerly in Victoria
Jan 11, 2012
Focusing on the goalie is the wrong thing to do. Fixing team D should be the priority for the Leafs. Andersen has not been really good, no, but first team D should be fixed then you can look at the goaltending.

I agree just a few people are insisting that Andersen bears no fault, I really don't get it. Andersen is our only starter, no one is begging for McBackup to take over and yet they are acting like Bernier/Reimer all over again.

Cleetus

"snot"
Jan 2, 2012
North!
Freddy didn't play well either. I agree he got hung out to dry but he should have made some of those saves
Oh I agree I meant to say its not all Freddies fault he should of made some of those saves, but the whole team never competed last night, but oh well onto philly!

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013

Andersen actually did stop many difficult shots which did help the team. I'd even go so far as to say that he was one of our best players last night. Not that he was that good, but yes as a team, everyone else as a whole was that bad.

Polaris1010

Mar 23, 2017
grandma's cellar
People are being really stupid for some reason, Babcock isn't going anywhere and neither is Andersen he still had a bad game though.
This is too rich!

How many people on this board is looking for a scapegoat, which in this case the goalie.

Traditionally, the Maple Leafs organization always looked for the scapegoat in that they fired the coach.

I make the suggestion that they will fire Babcock, the coach, like all the other coaches before such as Burns, Maurice, et al.

So scapegoating the coach is "dumb" and "stupid"? Whereas scapegoating the goalie is NOT? Is that rich?

More-so when you take into account the boss's comments regarding the goaltending after practice today!

Double more-so when Babcock said he was not a prepared as much as he himself thought he should have been. Look at that! Babs was scapegoating himself!!!

:hyper:

leaffaninvancouver

formerly in Victoria
Jan 11, 2012
This is too rich!

How many people on this board is looking for a scapegoat, which in this case the goalie.

Traditionally, the Maple Leafs organization always looked for the scapegoat in that they fired the coach.

I make the suggestion that they will fire Babcock, the coach, like all the other coaches before such as Burns, Maurice, et al.

So scapegoating the coach is "dumb" and "stupid"? Whereas scapegoating the goalie is NOT? Is that rich?

More-so when you take into account the boss's comments regarding the goaltending after practice today!

Double more-so when Babcock said he was not a prepared as much as he himself thought he should have been. Look at that! Babs was scapegoating himself!!!

:hyper:

You don't make any sense, care to try again?

frizzer1

Oct 19, 2013
Lots of points being made about Anderson and I think that there is merit on both sides..
I don't think though that Anderson has proven himself yet .....I don't really have confidence that he will make the big save at the critical point in the game..

Just a feeling...

Polaris1010

Mar 23, 2017
grandma's cellar
Lots of points being made about Anderson and I think that there is merit on both sides..
I don't think though that Anderson has proven himself yet .....I don't really have confidence that he will make the big save at the critical point in the game..

Just a feeling...
What is the difference between Andersen and Randy Carlyle's 1A and 1B?

Hasn't Andersen won playoff rounds? Whereas 1A and 1B, fell short.

moon111

Oct 18, 2014
After a 72 hour work week, have to admit, I missed the previous game. I just wanted to call a spade a spade and watched the replay.
I've been accused of being a Bozak-lover before. Figured if I was to tear him up, perhaps I would come across as more 'level-headed'.

Bozak did his job perfectly for two goals against, and the third? Back-pass to an unready Hainsey which I could give him some heat
for. In the end, the truth is, the only thing I see is a frustrated fan base who is starting to hang labels on players whether justified or
not. There's a lot of failure associated with Bozak. I for one wonder if JVR is even hurt. I wouldn't be surprised at all if they just
did that to save him the embarrassment/reduced trade value from being a health scratch. I believe Babcock's remarks after cutting
practice short was "Everybody know how to backcheck?" () ...and there
you have the coach's frustration. Personally I think JVR thinks his points/60 is all he has to do. That kind of thinking is going to
get his butt traded, especially if Marleau works well with Bozak/Marner and Leivo and/or Kapanen stand-out.

Reactions: Marshy

Marshy

Behind Enemy Lines
Oct 3, 2007
Ottawa
After a 72 hour work week, have to admit, I missed the previous game. I just wanted to call a spade a spade and watched the replay.
I've been accused of being a Bozak-lover before. Figured if I was to tear him up, perhaps I would come across as more 'level-headed'.

Bozak did his job perfectly for two goals against, and the third? Back-pass to an unready Hainsey which I could give him some heat
for. In the end, the truth is, the only thing I see is a frustrated fan base who is starting to hang labels on players whether justified or
not. There's a lot of failure associated with Bozak. I for one wonder if JVR is even hurt. I wouldn't be surprised at all if they just
did that to save him the embarrassment/reduced trade value from being a health scratch. I believe Babcock's remarks after cutting
practice short was "Everybody know how to backcheck?" () ...and there
you have the coach's frustration. Personally I think JVR thinks his points/60 is all he has to do. That kind of thinking is going to
get his butt traded, especially if Marleau works well with Bozak/Marner and Leivo and/or Kapanen stand-out.

Wish I could give this post 2 likes.

rent free

Apr 6, 2015
andersen was more awful in this game than any other game this season. his side to side crease movements need to be much better.

weems

Jul 3, 2008
We should try to put things into perspective.

First we have played terrible team hockey (sloppy, unorganized, soft).

Our Goalie has played horrible.

After all that we're somehow 7-4 sitting in a playoff spot.

We need to play much better but moreso compete harder than we currently. Our team strengths lie in our speed and offensive depth but if we arent moving our feet these two things take a huge hit.

This roadtrip will be very interesting.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad