Post-Game Talk: Leafs lose 6-3, Andersen was great again.

Al14

Jul 13, 2007
Andersen was great? Yeah, sandwiched in between shoddy and more shoddy!

jrgtml67

Sep 12, 2011
Missing the point completely. Right now as it stands our team defense, and position player defense is not cutting it. So you assume Price would be better? Normally I would agree, but if you have seen some of the goals he has let in this (early) season, he is at fault for many more than Andersen has been. My point was (and is), we are not taking care of the puck at all. We simply give it away to the other team on exits, and in our d zone. We have had great forecheck games, last night was not one of them. If you watched Babcock's presser afterwards he was livid. He said "no one," when asked "who played well." I agree even the though the Matthews line had chances they werent really on fire. Hyman was good on several forechecks, Matthews was good on a handful of plays, and Nylander had 1 high percentage chance (blocker save b4 Car scored). Many times Matthews lost the puck weaving his way in, similarly Nylander did not have his skating legs. I am being highly critical of course. Overall that line was the best, but that is easy to do when the rest were garbage. The worst performances go to-JVR and Bozak, no explaination needed.

Jozay

Jul 9, 2012
Toronto
from steve dangles lfr, in the 4 games before this one, andersen 126 saves on 136 shots, save % of .926

hockeywiz542

May 26, 2008

Then it was practice Wednesday and a dud of an effort in Thursday’s 6-3 loss to Carolina.

In Babcock’s world, that can’t happen. Unacceptable. He consulted with the sports science team on Friday morning to see how hard he could skate the players with a difficult schedule to come and ordered everyone off the ice the second he’d seen enough.

“I didn’t want anybody out their wasting any energy fooling around,” said Babcock, who even collected the pucks with assistant coach D.J. Smith afterwards. “I want it at game time.”

This was a teaching moment as much for observers as the players themselves. It’s easy to point to Toronto’s favourable shot metrics and 7-3-0 record and 43 goals scored and assume everything’s going to be all right.

However, this was the first time Babcock spelled out in plain language that he expects his team to function at the level of a Stanley Cup contender. The future is now. The bar has been raised.

And if you read between the lines, he believes they might be 9-1-0 if they hadn’t got too satisfied with themselves a couple times this season.

“If you go back, we beat Chicago before we lost to New Jersey [on Oct. 11] and everybody was talking about it’s a good team, and a good win, and what happened to us? We weren’t ready to play the next day,” said Babcock. “Then we beat L.A. [on Monday] and it was supposed to be a good team, they hadn’t lost this year, what happened to us?

“So the level of commitment to doing it right every single day for a championship team is that: You’ve got to do it every single day and you’ve got to do it at practice and you’ve got to do it when you don’t feel good and you’ve got to do it when you travel and you’ve got to do it when you’re tired.

“You just do it every single day and that becomes the norm and the expectation. That’s what we have to set here.”

Last edited:
Reactions: rubous

Cleetus

"snot"
Jan 2, 2012
North!
Yep not Freddies fault, the slot was wide open they could tee up shots all night, there was no compete at all from the buds last night, it was sad I feel sorry for the people who payed to watch the game! they will be better tomm night I hope.

White Shadow

Jan 7, 2016
Listening to Babs post practice interview got me thinking...wasn't there a Halloween party Wednesday night for the team?

Babs won't answer the question, "Is it tough for a coach for when efforts like this happen and there's no real reason for them to happen."
Later when talking about Marleau he says he comes in and works hard every single day. If anyone's wathing him, he's a guy to learn from.
He talks vaguely about things going on with the team that they need to fix.
He says he pulled them off the ice so they have enough energy for game time.

I wouldn't be surprised at all if some of the fellas were a little slow Wednesday after the Halloween party and Babs wants them to know that can't happen any more.

Edit: Sorry, party was Wednesday night.

Last edited:

leaffaninvancouver

formerly in Victoria
Jan 11, 2012
Listening to Babs post practice interview got me thinking...wasn't there a Halloween party Tuesday night for the team?

Babs won't answer the question, "Is it tough for a coach for when efforts like this happen and there's no real reason for them to happen."
Later when talking about Marleau he says he comes in and works hard every single day. If anyone's wathing him, he's a guy to learn from.

I wouldn't be surprised at all if some of the fellas were a little slow Wednesday after the Halloween party and Babs wants them to know that can't happen any more.

The game was on Thursday though, how wasted do you have to be to not bounce back after a day?

leaffaninvancouver

formerly in Victoria
Jan 11, 2012
I agree, but lets not act like andersen has been mediocre the whole season

He's been pretty mediocre all season, he played a great game against the Caps and Jets, where else has he been that good? He's not had enough help but he's also not really helped himself either.

PromisedLand

I need more FOOD
Dec 3, 2016
Hogwarts
Listening to Babs post practice interview got me thinking...wasn't there a Halloween party Wednesday night for the team?

Edit: Sorry, party was Wednesday night.

I thought Babs and assistant coaches gathering the pucks post practice so that players don't "waste any energy" was a beautiful slap in the faces of the players who didn't show up to compete last game.

Babs is the man!

Polaris1010

Mar 23, 2017
grandma's cellar
He's been pretty mediocre all season, he played a great game against the Caps and Jets, where else has he been that good? He's not had enough help but he's also not really helped himself either.
Why are people picking on Andersen, when other players have even more unjustifiable numbers on this team.

Furthermore, the comments from the soon to be fired coach, clearly showed his ire was directed more to the team, and NOT at the goalie at all.

The soon to be fired coach even qualified his statements by saying, if the goalie was not good he would have been pulled or changes will be made. No such word come from that mouth, therefore, they will fire Babcock.

White Shadow

Jan 7, 2016
If you don't really know the game well, the goalie is the easy target.

If you look at those goals last night, all but one were the result of huge defensive breakdowns in our own zone. But if you can't see those breakdowns, it's the goalies fault.

Reactions: Monsieur Gustave H

leaffaninvancouver

formerly in Victoria
Jan 11, 2012
Why are people picking on Andersen, when other players have even more unjustifiable numbers on this team.

Furthermore, the comments from the soon to be fired coach, clearly showed his ire was directed more to the team, and NOT at the goalie at all.

The soon to be fired coach even qualified his statements by saying, if the goalie was not good he would have been pulled or changes will be made. No such word come from that mouth, therefore, they will fire Babcock.

What are you on about? Coaches don't usually throw goalies under the bus because if you say we had goal tending issues you're calling out one person. The team was bad and so was Andersen, Andersen is part of the team. What's with this stupid Babcock will be fired talking point?

Polaris1010

Mar 23, 2017
grandma's cellar
Looking at the numbers from last night, an off night to say the lest, some surprising numbers.

The Leafs got spanked on the scoreborad yesterday. Yet, only half the team were a minus in the plus minus the other half even, with Marleau being a plus.

That's strange because they were beaten by 3 goals, and that none were scored on the power play by either side.

The Kadri line, he was -1, Marleau +1, Uncle Leo even, and the team loss by 3 goals. On the replay, Kadri minus was in the third period, when he was in the corner, and Hainsey decided to pinch which lead to the 2 on 1 the other way for the 5-3 goal.

Basically, the top line being even all three, and the Kadri line basically even too.

The defense, top pair both even, 2nd pair both -1, and 3rd pair both -2.

The Leafs were bad last night, but not everyone was that bad. That's why they still had a chance, until that phantom call by the linesman on the faceoff, the fix was in.

leaffaninvancouver

formerly in Victoria
Jan 11, 2012
If you don't really know the game well, the goalie is the easy target.

If you look at those goals last night, all but one were the result of huge defensive breakdowns in our own zone. But if you can't see those breakdowns, it's the goalies fault.

Two arguably three of the goals were saves Andersen had to make. Andersen is an easy target because he hasn't been that good. That doesn't mean breakdowns don't happen but part of a goalies job is covering up those breakdowns. Andersen isn't absolved of all faults just because someone gave away the puck. He needs more help but he also needs to play better, he had the same problem last October just we didn't outscore our problems as much.

Polaris1010

Mar 23, 2017
grandma's cellar
What are you on about? Coaches don't usually throw goalies under the bus because if you say we had goal tending issues you're calling out one person. The team was bad and so was Andersen, Andersen is part of the team. What's with this stupid Babcock will be fired talking point?
Guess you have not followed the Leafs for too long. They always fire the coach when things don't go well.

They never get rid of the problem players or under preforming players either.

Unless I see otherwise, they will get rid of Babcock first before any player changes on the roster.

Then again, there could be a first time for everything.

No point in saying who is on the bubble. Just look at the game summary from last night.

:hyper:

leaffaninvancouver

formerly in Victoria
Jan 11, 2012
Guess you have not followed the Leafs for too long. They always fire the coach when things don't go well.

They never get rid of the problem players or under preforming players either.

Unless I see otherwise, they will get rid of Babcock first before any player changes on the roster.

Then again, there could be a first time for everything.

No point in saying who is on the bubble. Just look at the game summary from last night.

:hyper:

I've followed the Leafs since Gilmour was highsticked by Gretzky, try to lay off the cheap shots.

Carlyle was here for 3.5 seasons
Wilson was here for 3.75 seasons
Maurice was here here for 2 seasons.

They made the playoffs once during that time.

Babcock signed a monster contract and so far during his tenure the made the playoff once and they traded Kessel and Phaneuf arguably our two biggest players when Babcock signed that contract.

Last edited:

MR4

Oct 20, 2014
Man with JVR being okay to play yesterday but not being at practice and then also having Babcock seemingly writing in Leivo's name for tomorrow already, feel Babcock has his targets on mainly JVR

Y'all are dumb if you think Babcock doesn't get to coach us 5 years minimum

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad