Post-Game Talk: Leafs lose 5-4 in OT

Status
Not open for further replies.

SmoggyTwinkles

Go Leafs Go
Aug 5, 2010
Oshawa
www.bing.com
So, I go out to get something from Shoppers in the middle of the third when it's 4-2 and I come back to the Leafs losing in OT...

Hey man I worked at 5 am yesterday, tough day of work, grabbed some beers for the Jays and Leafs game, passed out just before the end of the second period couldn't keep my eyes open, and woke up and checked the final score this morning :shakehead

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
interesting side note, i'm 90% sure colton orr was in attendance. I definitely saw his dad sitting a few rows ahead of me and didn't get a chance to see who he was next to, but it was a behemoth of a man and younger, so good chance it was him.

Fwiw i met his dad when he came to my work (cra) to pay his taxes and i was wearing a leafs jersey that day.

boooo....

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
I can't believe Rielly got called for that weak ass shove in front of the net. It was Blake wheeler to boot. What a dive. Beauty shot by Laine thoigh

I didn't think the Rielly call was that bad but if they're calling that they should have called the trip on Nylander not long after.

Trapper

Nov 21, 2013
I can't believe Rielly got called for that weak ass shove in front of the net. It was Blake wheeler to boot. What a dive. Beauty shot by Laine thoigh

It was actually Scheifele that Rielly pushed. All 6'3 of him hardly touched at all. He fell faster than David Clarkson trying to stickhandle.

BayStreetBully

Oct 25, 2007
Toronto
Agreed. Personally I was on the Laine side of the fence pre-draft but I'm not disappointed with the player we got at all.

Matthews is having a great season and so is Laine.

They're different players too. If Matthews ends his career with a couple of Selke and maybe a Hart trophy and Laine has a Richard, Hart, and Art Ross, will we really say one was better than the other?

They're both going to be great.

I'd say Matthews has a better chance of winning the Art Ross and Hart than Laine.

behemolari

Dec 1, 2011
Can't imagine anyone regretting it.

Nobody is regretting it. You win with a legit #1 C. Leafs needed one badly. Both teams got a heck of a player.

not at all

Nope, sorry. You don't get the satisfaction of hearing yes. :laugh:

I wish we had the top 2 picks to get both. But Matthews is the easy choice at 1.

Not falling for this Laine/Matthews rivalry. We play them what twice a year? Not much of a rival and since the only way we would ever play them in the playoffs is for the stanley cup I don't see it happening there either.

Super that Laine had a big game. Looks like the NHL has a nice future set for itself. Absolutely no regret taking Matthews though. He is exactly what the Leafs needed and one big game does not make a career. As evidenced by those forgetting that Matthews already has a hat trick.

Ok, fine. I'll get eventually back to you :)

The Apologist

Apologizing for Leaf garbage since 1979
Oct 16, 2007
Leaf Nation Hell
Bozak had success with Phil, who liked to have the puck on his stick. Marner is similar in that respect. Bozak and JVR have had success in the past. Bozak is a very good faceoff man. So you can see his value on a line that is expected to score. The issue that line has is keeping the puck out of the net.

Marner with Kadri on a checking line seems like a poor use of Marner's skills. Plus both guys liketo carry the puck. Better would be a guy like Soshnikov to eventually replace Michalek.

I agree with above. I dont understand the desire to move Kadri. He's looked great so far and seems to thrive in this role. Why youd want to mess with that I dont know.

Last night looked like two young teams making lots of mistakes. Its gonna happen. Thus far I think all three top lines have looked good at times and have looked bad at times. I know some here are dedicated to scapegoating regardless of actual play but the vets have looked fine to me.

indigobuffalo

Portage and Main
Feb 10, 2011
Winnipeg MB
I'd say Matthews has a better chance of winning the Art Ross and Hart than Laine.

I dunno. Matthews strikes me as a Jonathan Toews type, whereas Laine is an Ovechkin type.

Toews *could* win the Art Ross but any given year you'd expect Ovechkin to beat him to it.

I think Matthews will be winning himself some Selkes though.

Especially with the Eastern conference bias.

Darkside Blue

There/They're/Their
Feb 17, 2014
I didn't think the Rielly call was that bad but if they're calling that they should have called the trip on Nylander not long after.

Even Simpson and Hughson, who seemed blatantly pro-Winnipeg all night, were going WTF at that call? Simpson said that at that point in the game, the whistles usually go away, and there'd been a lot of stuff that hadn't been called. Unfortunate.

Barilko14

Jul 5, 2006
Renfrew, ON
He seems to have lost some drive and intensity in his game. Not that he had a ton of it in the past, but what he had seems to have disappeared, IMO.
Maybe it coincides when he signed that last lucrative contract, who knows. Either way, we could probably replace him with a guy like Byron Froese and not really notice much difference.

I would not cry if he was dealt for picks/prospects and Holland moved into his spot. You can bring up Laich/Froese. I'm not the biggest Holland fan.

Long term I'm still hoping Nylander ends up in that spot

Apotheosis

Mar 27, 2014
Toronto, Ontario
I dunno. Matthews strikes me as a Jonathan Toews type, whereas Laine is an Ovechkin type.

Toews *could* win the Art Ross but any given year you'd expect Ovechkin to beat him to it.

I wish people would stop with this Jonathan Toews comparison. Matthews has more flair, better vision and a WAY better shot than Toews ever had at the same age.

BayStreetBully

Oct 25, 2007
Toronto

Matthews has more offensive potential than Toews.

And from what I see from Laine, I can see him scoring a lot of goals with that shot, but not nearly enough helpers to win him an Art Ross. Ovechkin was more dynamic when he was winning his Art Ross. Ovechkin doesn't win the Art Ross the way he plays anymore.

Apotheosis

Mar 27, 2014
Toronto, Ontario
Matthews has more offensive potential than Toews.

And from what I see from Laine, I can see him scoring a lot of goals with that shot, but not nearly enough helpers to win him an Art Ross. Ovechkin was more dynamic when he was winning his Art Ross. Ovechkin doesn't win the Art Ross the way he plays anymore.

Yup. Laine is a pretty good skater but Ovechkin's skating in his early career was ridiculously explosive.

Dustin

Sep 24, 2014

Ya not seeing it. Matthews has an entirely different skill set than Toews. I see little in the way of a comparison at all.

The CyNick

Freedom of Speech!
Sep 17, 2009
I agree with above. I dont understand the desire to move Kadri. He's looked great so far and seems to thrive in this role. Why youd want to mess with that I dont know.

Last night looked like two young teams making lots of mistakes. Its gonna happen. Thus far I think all three top lines have looked good at times and have looked bad at times. I know some here are dedicated to scapegoating regardless of actual play but the vets have looked fine to me.

I agree that the lines look like they fit in their roles. I just find people look at lines as 1, 2, 3 - where you think of the 3rd line as your checking line. In reality teams generally have three lines that carve up the minutes. The line that will likely see the most ice is your shutdown line (Kadri) and then you're two scoring lines (Bozak and Matthews). How you rank those lines in terms of 1-2-3 is largely irrelevant.

The ideal scenario is your checking line can not only prevent goals, but also have offensive power to play in the other end and keep the other team from getting chances. Kadri can do that. But his role had limited his ability to put up points. Hence him getting rewarded with the big contact.

Shanty

July hockey is where bridges are burned
Jan 9, 2010
Toronto
funny through watching this team, I've come to expect that after gaining a good lead, I expect them to blow it.

It's weird, right?

"We scored 4 goals!

I'm just going to stop watching. It won't get any better from here."

Moncherry

Feb 5, 2010
A drastic upgrade needs to happen on the back-end. They had Hunwick and Marincin out killing a 6-on-4 game-saving situation ffs. That's just sad.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad