Post-Game Talk: Leafs lose 5-4 in OT

Status
Not open for further replies.

BertCorbeau

F*ck cancer - RIP Fugu and Buffaloed
Jan 6, 2012
Simcoe County
Continue here...

Laine stole the show at the end, showing some great finish .. Although IMO he didn't really do much for most of the game, he was in the right spots at the right time at the end.

Andersen was as good as you can be for letting in 5 .. Some good shots, cross ice passes, and he made lot of good saves.

The Jets speed and size gave the Leafs fits on their breakout but I saw a lot of bouncing pucks and sloppy plays that ended up on the Jets stick that kept their pressure going... I saw more structure from the Leafs overall but they sat back at times and didn't win enough battles.

Nylander was the best out of the kids tonight, though he got caught on that two on one to end it .. Otherwise brilliant game from him offensively.

Matthews was okay .. Battled the puck a bit, had good and bad moments defensively, and struggled to find space .. Just not his day but he'll learn.

Marner was solid as well but also struggled to find space .. Still managed to generate some chances.

Nice to see Kadri pot a couple - one was a nice feed from Rielly (who I thought was very solid tonight)

Blowing a 4 goal lead is awful but these are the growing pains you have with kids in the line up ... A chance to bounce right back tomorrow and get at it and back in the win column

Coatsy79

May 14, 2011
Uk
You know full well the Jets play full steam against the leafs, every time

On to the next, we took a point, these are the growing pains of a young team

Still feel we need a skilled crease clearing big body on defence

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
To reframe the post game narrative - the Jets have up 40 shots against and if it wasn't for Laine's fantastic individual effort would have lost handidy.

Perhaps the sky isn't falling after all

Gabriel426

Jun 30, 2015
Scoring 4 goals is no joke. Just need to learn not to let in 5. Come to think of it, Leafs are averaging 4 goals a game. If they can average that in a season, pretty sure they will be way over .500.

kk87

Feb 12, 2015
Waterloo, ON
Still sort of in shock. Worst I've felt about a loss since... you know the game.

Hell, if this sort of thing happened last year as we were in the midst of tanking for Matthews I would have rejoiced the fact that we lost one point. Now it's different. I just feel numb. Still feel so positive and optimistic about almost every aspect of this team going forward, but events like this feel so crippling in the moment...

Gabriel426

Jun 30, 2015
Learning curve, better to learn in the regular season than Game 7 of a playoff series.

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
Is it just me or does Frederick Andersen look like the the 2016-17 version of Bernier and Reimer?...realize that playing behind the Leafs blueline is going to be a challenge, but you have wonder about goalies who come from a tight-checking system like Anaheim and then start facing a half-dozen quality shots a period....Flames may have the same problem with Elliott.

Chandrashekhar Limit

From the runaway slave to a modern day king.
Apr 2, 2009
Milky Way
No excuse for the collapse really. Not age, nothing. They mailed it in after scoring 4, and got hosed.

Tough to evaluate Andersons performance. I myself did not like it. He made some tough saves, but the 4th goal he went swimming and got lucky with one or 2 posts as well.

I was telling my friend today, during the 2nd period that my definition of a good goalie was one who can make a couple big time aka steal ish saves a game if need be. Andersen is not that goalie. To me, he seems like a Mike Smith kind of goalie - gonna look good in front of a good D - average otherwise. Given what money and picks we gave up, I expect a little better. Not Carey Price, but at least a top 10 caliber goalie. Don't think Andersen will live up to it.

We need to dump floaters like Bozo the clown and JVR. When your veterans aside from Kadri are consistently being out worked by kids, it's embarrassing.

Hoping to see a better showing from Matthews as well, but it's only his 3rd game so no complaints.

I got ptsd from game 7 today. Wonder what it is that makes your team crumble like that over and over again. It's pretty embarrassing as a franchise tbh.

Gonna skip watching games for a bit probably.

ultron*

Sep 26, 2016
kinda dumb to blow the lead but they are a young team. Exciting to watch! Wins and losses don't matter much this year for me.

Chandrashekhar Limit

From the runaway slave to a modern day king.
Apr 2, 2009
Milky Way
Also, for all of you saying Andersen was the reason for the point, you are incorrect. The 4 goals our offence gave us is the reason for the point. If it was. 3-2 loss then maybe, but I saw the game and some of the goals he gave up in the 3rd were ordinary. Last time I checked there are 3 periods in a game and Andersen didn't show up for the 3rd. The team was crap too, but 4 goal lead in the NHL should 100% guarantee a win.

SeaOfBlue

The Passion That Unites Us All
Aug 1, 2013
Also, for all of you saying Andersen was the reason for the point, you are incorrect. The 4 goals our offence gave us is the reason for the point. If it was. 3-2 loss then maybe, but I saw the game and some of the goals he gave up in the 3rd were ordinary. Last time I checked there are 3 periods in a game and Andersen didn't show up for the 3rd. The team was crap too, but 4 goal lead in the NHL should 100% guarantee a win.

I'd have to agree.

Not saying Andersen cost the Leafs as much as the first game, he made some nice saves, but there were times he looked downright awful. Totally out of position, dropping to his knees way too fast, flopping around, etc. And it's not like this is new... I'm pretty sure it was like that in Anaheim too, but they were a lot more forgiving.

Bottom line, Andersen has to step it up. Never mind stealing games, he's costing the team games. He'll be given a really long leash since he has a huge contract, but eventually it'll come shorter and shorter...

SeaOfBlue

The Passion That Unites Us All
Aug 1, 2013
hmm not really. Matthews is still better than Laine though. So I don't really see anything that would change Leaf fans behaviour.

Yeah once again Laine pretty much only showed up to score. He's pretty good at it, but he needs his team mates to feed him those goals, or he needs a lot of open ice to skate (ala OT goal). The first two goals weren't even good shots.

I don't notice Laine otherwise. Unless he's got the puck, he's invisible. That's not a bad thing, but I don't think that's the thing you expect out of a number 2 overall pick unless you are essentially Patrick Kane.

Willchel Marlynder

(philer bozel)
Jul 15, 2010
Windsor, ON
Yeah once again Laine pretty much only showed up to score. He's pretty good at it, but he needs his team mates to feed him those goals, or he needs a lot of open ice to skate (ala OT goal). The first two goals weren't even good shots.

I don't notice Laine otherwise. Unless he's got the puck, he's invisible. That's not a bad thing, but I don't think that's the thing you expect out of a number 2 overall pick unless you are essentially Patrick Kane.

Seriously? Let's give the kid credit. I'd much rather have a player who will get you 82 points and look invisible, than a hard working guy like Hyman who might never crack 40. A 30 goal scorer year in year out is an excellent pick at 2. Liane will no doubt exceed that. Plus don't forget 2 of Matthews 4 goals came from pretty feeds from Nylander and Rielly.

Still much rather have Matthews but Liane is one hell of a talent and will establish himself as a great 2nd overall.

Keato

Apr 9, 2016
Winnipeg, MB
Take the lessons (and the point) and move on to the Wild! Hopefully the Leafs can put in a full 60 minute effort.

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
Like I said I have full confidence in Andersen but he's not above blame and he blew this one, can't put on anyone else you get a 4-0 lead you need to lock it down that's his job.

He didn't do his job

LaPlante94

Apr 12, 2011
When will the Rielly-Marincin experiment end? I don't hate Marincin but seeing him on the 1st pair with Rielly over Zaitsev sucks.

TimeZone

Make the pick
Sep 15, 2008
Lost
This as about as dark as I've seen days in my 22 years of existence as a Toronto Sports Fan.

Legendary

Sep 1, 2016
Rookies have stepped up and most of the vets have not. They should be their role models. Are they capable or up to the task?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad