Post-Game Talk: Leafs lose 5-4 in OT

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dustin

Sep 24, 2014
do you regret Leafs didn't pick him?

Not falling for this Laine/Matthews rivalry. We play them what twice a year? Not much of a rival and since the only way we would ever play them in the playoffs is for the stanley cup I don't see it happening there either.

Super that Laine had a big game. Looks like the NHL has a nice future set for itself. Absolutely no regret taking Matthews though. He is exactly what the Leafs needed and one big game does not make a career. As evidenced by those forgetting that Matthews already has a hat trick.

Last edited:

Trapper

Nov 21, 2013
Not falling for this Laine/Matthews rivalry. We play them what twice a year? Not much of a rival and since the only way we would ever play them is for the stanley cup I don't see it happening there either.

Super that Laine had a big game. Looks like the NHL has a nice future set for itself. Absolutely no regret taking Matthews though. He is exactly what the Leafs needed and one big game does not make a career. As evidenced by those forgetting that Matthews already has a hat trick.

I can see a rivalry being between goalies playing each other in a 7 game series.
But Matthews/Laine? Different conference. Other than the minimal times we meet it has zero impact on what we are doing. It's like Crosby vs. Ovi. If Ovi scores a hat trick should they trade him for Crosby? And why isn't it Malkin/Ovi? At least that's the same draft year. It's the same with McDavid/Eichel. Who cares. We care about Eichel because we see him more times as a division rival. I don't care about McDavid. Let Calgary worry about him.

Dustin

Sep 24, 2014
I can see a rivalry being between goalies playing each other in a 7 game series.
But Matthews/Laine? Different conference. Other than the minimal times we meet it has zero impact on what we are doing. It's like Crosby vs. Ovi. If Ovi scores a hat trick should they trade him for Crosby? And why isn't it Malkin/Ovi? At least that's the same draft year. It's the same with McDavid/Eichel. Who cares. We care about Eichel because we see him more times as a division rival. I don't care about McDavid. Let Calgary worry about him.

Yup. I absolutely see a future rivalry with Buffalo. Especially considering things like Babcock coming to Toronto, Nylanders and Matthews vs Eichel. Also the fact that if both of these teams develop properly they should see each other pretty regularly in the playoffs.

leafsfuture

Mar 30, 2008
I would much rather Hunwick take a seat in the press box than Marincin which is being suggested on here regularly.

Agree.

The Marincin hate is more for where he is playing in the lineup, rather than the fact that he plays every night.

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
I would much rather Hunwick take a seat in the press box than Marincin which is being suggested on here regularly.

Rielly - Zaitsev
Gardiner - Carrick
Marincin - Corrado

Marincin is not good enough to play on his off-side and top pairing minutes but the 3rd role on the left side might be more suitable.

indigobuffalo

Portage and Main
Feb 10, 2011
Winnipeg MB
I think Hunwick is okay. He's a defensive defenseman. Zero creativity offensively but he's good defending.

Personally I would like to see him replaced with Polak, but that's just me. We need at least one veteran on the blue line, but I don't feel Hunwick has the chops.

Zaitsev is a special player and getting dragged down by an inferior pairing is not good.

Unless maybe that's being done deliberately to keep his contract negotiatons down...

I just felt like there were a few plays where Zaitsev looked at Hunwick and thought to himself, "In Mother Russia, child would do better with puck."

Johny Drama

Jun 7, 2009
I agree. Every year I go into season trying not to dislike Bozak, and every year his 5x5 play frustrates the ____ out of me.

Think around 4 years ago he used to throw the odd big hit, as well as being good on faceoffs, and great on breakaways, but it's been a long time since he's thrown a decent hit, and breakaways are always few and far between!

He seems to have lost some drive and intensity in his game. Not that he had a ton of it in the past, but what he had seems to have disappeared, IMO.
Maybe it coincides when he signed that last lucrative contract, who knows. Either way, we could probably replace him with a guy like Byron Froese and not really notice much difference.

indigobuffalo

Portage and Main
Feb 10, 2011
Winnipeg MB
Interesting side note, I'm 90% sure Colton Orr was in attendance. I definitely saw his dad sitting a few rows ahead of me and didn't get a chance to see who he was next to, but it was a behemoth of a man and younger, so good chance it was him.

FWIW I met his dad when he came to my work (CRA) to pay his taxes and I was wearing a Leafs jersey that day.

Apotheosis

Mar 27, 2014
Toronto, Ontario
I think Hunwick is okay. He's a defensive defenseman. Zero creativity offensively but he's good defending.

Personally I would like to see him replaced with Polak, but that's just me. We need at least one veteran on the blue line, but I don't feel Hunwick has the chops.

Zaitsev is a special player and getting dragged down by an inferior pairing is not good.

Unless maybe that's being done deliberately to keep his contract negotiatons down...

I just felt like there were a few plays where Zaitsev looked at Hunwick and thought to himself, "In Mother Russia, child would do better with puck."

Pure defensive D don't survive in today's game. Hunwick needs to be binned. He handles the puck like a grenade.

indigobuffalo

Portage and Main
Feb 10, 2011
Winnipeg MB
Nobody is regretting it. You win with a legit #1 C. Leafs needed one badly. Both teams got a heck of a player.

Agreed. Personally I was on the Laine side of the fence pre-draft but I'm not disappointed with the player we got at all.

Matthews is having a great season and so is Laine.

They're different players too. If Matthews ends his career with a couple of Selke and maybe a Hart trophy and Laine has a Richard, Hart, and Art Ross, will we really say one was better than the other?

They're both going to be great.

indigobuffalo

Portage and Main
Feb 10, 2011
Winnipeg MB
Either promote Polak instead of Hunwick or else trade for a veteran blue liner because we need a different option for experience on the back end.

Unfortunately there aren't really any good options of pending UFAs that would be good adds.

Shattenkirk is the best one but costs way too much, IMO. Maybe as the season progresses and the Leafs, if they're still in a playoff hunt, could make a play for him at the deadline. Babs obviously knows him.

Then they could re-up him for 2 years and have a solid vet that anchors the backend.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad