Post-Game Talk: Leafs Lose 5-2 To The Rags

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jojalu

Feb 22, 2019
His name was mentioned by somebody at one time or another

Speaking of BJs, did anyone else see James Tanners' Willie Nylander +++++ trade proposal for Laine(50% retention) + Werensky recently? Brilliant GMing by our Editor in Leaf
Ridiculous indeed.

Domi, Jarnkrok, Cowen and 2 firsts. Absurd

Lightsol

Aug 2, 2005
Yep - since they got back from Sweden he leads the team in assists, is tied for second in points, and is now on a nine game point streak.

He did have an off game today, as did most Leafs.
And before Sweden he was also backchecking and helping defensively, but that seems to have disappeared entirely and he's back to floating if he doesn't have a scoring chance. And that's not even mentioning how many plays last night died because he randomly decided to try and stickhandle between 3 guys...

apparently he did.

The bigger concern is the guys that let him skate unimpeded from red line.
I'm more pissed that the one guy who DID try to stop him got blocked out by another Ranger right on top of the linesman, and apparently the refs didn't see that...
I was under the impression hitting a guy without the puck was interference, but I'm at the point where I don't think the NHL knows what interference is anymore...

Lightsol

Aug 2, 2005
His name was mentioned by somebody at one time or another

Speaking of BJs, did anyone else see James Tanners' Willie Nylander +++++ trade proposal for Laine(50% retention) + Werensky recently? Brilliant GMing by our Editor in Leaf
Tanner's been an idiot pretty much since Dubas left. It's so obvious it's hilarious...

And yes, this is among the DUMBEST trade proposals I've ever seen. Nylander, Domi, and a bunch of extra pieces for Werenski and Laine (a guy the BJ's are trying to GIVE away)? Just dumb.

At the beginning of the season it would have been Nylander, Domi, Reaves, and everyone on the defense not named Morgan Reilly for Werenski, Provorov, Laine, Fancelli and a few other Corsi kings...

CabanaBoy5

Feb 17, 2013
Woodbridge
Reactions: TMLife17

All Mod Cons

Sep 7, 2018
Tanner's been an idiot pretty much since Dubas left. It's so obvious it's hilarious...

And yes, this is among the DUMBEST trade proposals I've ever seen. Nylander, Domi, and a bunch of extra pieces for Werenski and Laine (a guy the BJ's are trying to GIVE away)? Just dumb.

At the beginning of the season it would have been Nylander, Domi, Reaves, and everyone on the defense not named Morgan Reilly for Werenski, Provorov, Laine, Fancelli and a few other Corsi kings...
Tanner has always been an idiot. He was the same when Dubas was here. He must post on this board i assume.

Reactions: therealkoho

notDatsyuk

Jul 20, 2018
And before Sweden he was also backchecking and helping defensively, but that seems to have disappeared entirely and he's back to floating if he doesn't have a scoring chance. And that's not even mentioning how many plays last night died because he randomly decided to try and stickhandle between 3 guys...
And yet in those 12 games since Sweden he leads the team in takeaways. Go figure.

meefer

Jun 9, 2015
Bangkok
Exactly.

It's like we finally found what we've been looking for and trading away futures for every deadline - a solid, tough, unspectacular defenceman that we can put on the 3rd pair and he won't cost us with repetitive errors, and the results were good.

The Sheldon just decided to revert to type to try to squeeze every ounce of offense out of the team and we look sloppy and scrambly in our own zone.

We can afford to have 1 defenceman that actually defends. It's how the likes of Schenn and Bogosian managed to win the Cup.

The coaching staff went back to the idea that "puck transition" is far more important than defending. It was just needless, unless Benoit is sick?.
Or maybe Sheldon and Tre are trying to pump up Timmins value so that he can be included in the anticipated trade for a better defenseman and lowering the 'other' value parts to get that player?

LeafEgo

Oct 8, 2021
Screenshot_20231221_001014_Brave.jpg

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
So that talk Van Ryn had with him at the bench after the giveaway at our blue line didn’t happen? Weird indeed.
I don’t recall that, I was just looking at his stats from the game but there is nothing weird about a coach talking to a player. I imagine almost every player would get some direction from the coach at some point.

I know the player isn’t without fault, it just seems strange the amount he gets vs his numbers.

banks

W W 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16
Aug 29, 2019
I've been a fan/defender of both Robertson and Timmins for a long time. But they're both having a real rough time right now.

Robertson I think can still put it together and be a useful forward for the Leafs. His issues come from his lack of playing time recently due to his injuries. Getting more NHL experience will let him get a rhythm and stop some of the overly fancy stuff. He can grow out of this.

Timmins, however, is just looking like he doesn't belong. And playing consistently hasn't seemed to help. I know defenders take longer to develop. But he's been a hinderance for a while. I hope he gets pushed out of the lineup.

Reactions: Duffman955

Nineteen67

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 12, 2017

I'm more pissed that the one guy who DID try to stop him got blocked out by another Ranger right on top of the linesman, and apparently the refs didn't see that...
I was under the impression hitting a guy without the puck was interference, but I'm at the point where I don't think the NHL knows what interference is anymore...
Free ice and they don’t have to get out of the way. McCabe didn’t really hit him and didn’t deserve a penalty for that. The mistake was pinching trying to pick off a pass leaving an already slow JT, flat footed

CabanaBoy5

Feb 17, 2013
Woodbridge
I don’t recall that, I was just looking at his stats from the game but there is nothing weird about a coach talking to a player. I imagine almost every player would get some direction from the coach at some point.

I know the player isn’t without fault, it just seems strange the amount he gets vs his numbers.
I don't know how you missed it ACC, the colour guy even commented that Van Ryn is having a chat with him probably telling him you can't do that at your blueline unless you're absolutely certain of the pass you're making. But you're right, his stats are weird given what we see with the eye test.

I'm not saying that Timmins was the reason we lost, or that in the future he won't be a serviceable puck moving defenceman, but right now, he looks a little out of his element defensively. Not surprising given he's only played 78 career games, not even a season's worth in now his fifth season.

Reactions: ACC1224

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
I don't know how you missed it ACC, the colour guy even commented that Van Ryn is having a chat with him probably telling him you can't do that at your blueline unless you're absolutely certain of the pass you're making. But you're right, his stats are weird given what we see with the eye test.

I'm not saying that Timmins was the reason we lost, or that in the future he won't be a serviceable puck moving defenceman, but right now, he looks a little out of his element defensively. Not surprising given he's only played 78 career games, not even a season's worth in now his fifth season.
Christmas week, lots of distractions . :laugh:

• Haha
Reactions: CabanaBoy5

thusk

Jul 15, 2011
Chicoutimi
Free ice and they don’t have to get out of the way. McCabe didn’t really hit him and didn’t deserve a penalty for that. The mistake was pinching trying to pick off a pass leaving an already slow JT, flat footed
i took a picture for you both brodie be agressive to cover both side, jt protecting the middle... Nylander was lost on the ice and was propecting absolutly nothing. the end of blue line was where nylabder should had been on the play.

those kind of player is why Marner is a better player and will always been better than nylander whatever. The same play with marner unstead of nylander will not result in a game goal winner.

with the puck nylander is better than marner but without puck marner is by far a better player. but your playing 1 to 1m30 with pick and like 15 to 20 without.

Screenshot_20231221_101704_Chrome.jpg

Reactions: Nineteen67

notDatsyuk

Jul 20, 2018
i took a picture for you both brodie be agressive to cover both side, jt protecting the middle... Nylander was lost on the ice and was propecting absolutly nothing. the end of blue line was where nylabder should had been on the play.

those kind of player is why Marner is a better player and will always been better than nylander whatever. The same play with marner unstead of nylander will not result in a game goal winner.

with the puck nylander is better than marner but without puck marner is by far a better player. but your playing 1 to 1m30 with pick and like 15 to 20 without.

View attachment 787838
Your weird bias against Nylander is getting to you.

Nylander is sitting on the bench, where he'd been since before the faceoff 11 seconds before the goal.

Tavares, Marner, and Bertuzzi were the forwards on the ice.

That play with Marner on the ice actually did result in the game winning goal.

Last edited:

thusk

Jul 15, 2011
Chicoutimi

Nylander is sitting on the bench, where he'd been since before the faceoff 11 seconds before the goal.

youre right,i watched quickly in break at job.

i watch it again and anyway at the end look like a system execution who didn't worked pretty well

• Haha
Reactions: arso40

arso40

Jun 7, 2022
youre right,i watched quickly in break at job.

i watch it again and anyway at the end look like a system execution who didn't worked pretty well
Did you really do that ???? Hahahahaha no way you just did that??? So since it’s marner never mind right???? This is better than the movies on Tuesday with free popcorn

That play with Marner on the ice actually did result in the game winning goal.
Hahahahahaha did he really just do that??

• Haha
Reactions: TMLife17

thusk

Jul 15, 2011
Chicoutimi
Did you really do that ???? Hahahahaha no way you just did that??? So since it’s marner never mind right???? This is better than the movies on Tuesday with free popcorn

Hahahahahaha did he really just do that??

i just analyse video in like 2 min just pause when the play really started and consider the playyabout the picture

but when you watch the replay bertuzzi goes on schneider and still pressure on gustafsson but resultof forechecking both bertuzzi and marner was looking lost becausr both player cover the same guy a thats created space for schneider and it was a great play by him to recognize the situation.

but if you really want i cant take you a lot of screen of nylander out of position to defend at 5v5 not pretty hard but you need to take the good and the bad of everyone. When hes got the puck ontheir stick, hes better than both marner and matthews.

Reactions: arso40

arso40

Jun 7, 2022
i just analyse video in like 2 min just pause when the play really started and consider the playyabout the picture

but when you watch the replay bertuzzi goes on schneider and still pressure on gustafsson but resultof forechecking both bertuzzi and marner was looking lost becausr both player cover the same guy a thats created space for schneider and it was a great play by him to recognize the situation.

but if you really want i cant take you a lot of screen of nylander out of position to defend at 5v5 not pretty hard but you need to take the good and the bad of everyone. When hes got the puck ontheir stick, hes better than both marner and matthews.
I don’t doubt you can tbh I’m just more confused on how the rant dies when you figured out nylander was actually marner lol like what?

thusk

Jul 15, 2011
Chicoutimi
I don’t doubt you can tbh I’m just more confused on how the rant dies when you figured out nylander was actually marner lol like what?

like i said i watched quickly and i tought it was nylander with the sakting just nylander and marner who skating that way in the team and i never pretrending i didn't made mistake.

arso40

Jun 7, 2022
like i said i watched quickly and i tought it was nylander with the sakting just nylander and marner who skating that way in the team and i never pretrending i didn't made mistake.
No I get it I don’t think you understand where you lost me…..you had it out for nylander is what I’m saying cause as soon as it wasn’t him and actually the guy you were praising you didn’t want to rant about the play anymore….that’s all

notDatsyuk

Jul 20, 2018
And now that it's Marner out of position instead of Nylander, the blame gets transferred to Bertuzzi.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad