Post-Game Talk: Leafs lose 4-3 OT in game 5

Gallagbi

Formerly Eazy_B97
Jul 5, 2005
ya thank god someone on that f***ing show has a brain. I was losing my mind when Craig Button gave his takes. Like how the f*** can a former NHL mind say that MTL's game last night was a solid. Were we watching the same game lol?? They gave up like 7 odd man rushes after establishing a 2-0 lead, and he is applauding MTL's Structure :huh:... Like you've got to be f***ing kidding me right??? Even in their "dominant" 1st period they had only 2 HDCF in comparison to the leaf 7 HDCF. Really no comparison

The Leafs were exposed on the mistakes that they made. MTL took what was served on a silver platter to them and made no mistakes. For that I will give them credit 100%... but that was a defensive train wreck once they established the lead. Carey bailed MTL out hard. And realistically, if Sandin makes 1 damn play in that game we win easily in regulation.

I will never say that was a good game for the Leafs, but that was a f***ing terrible game by MTL. And between the 2 terrible showings, the Leafs were very clearly the better team. Just the way she goes sometimes

Leafs will have to be ready for a better MTL team on Saturday. That was no where near the best from them. Arguably one of the Habs worst showings all series IMO. They played a good first 10 mins and won the game
Honestly even some of the mistakes shouldn't have ended up in our net. The 2nd and 3rd goals were soft.

Throw More Waffles

Unprecedented Dramatic Overpayments
Oct 9, 2015
Weren't they the problem against CBJ in August? No never mind I remember now, it was that .936 goalie.
If this series continues as is and they actually lose, then we'll know 100% for sure what the problem is. Lack of production from our 11 million dollar players. Blaming it on offhand scapegoats every season will have to end. It's their fault.

But they still have time to prove themselves. Matthews/Marner have to carry us to a win one of these next two games.

myleafs

May 25, 2021
The funny thing is that so many guys in this forum were already looking at round 2 and acting like the Leafs were automatically going to win this

I was like, huh? It might be 3-1 leafs but this is the Leafs we're talking about... they can easily blow it and it will be no surprise

One thing is for sure: this is going 7 games
I'll take that bet

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
Why not wait before we actually lose before trying to figure out why we can't win.

People wanted to break up the team after game 1. Then after game 2 people started planning the parade and the plans were almost finished until we lost last night, now we're back to breaking up the team again.

Chill out everyone. We're going to finish off MTL, then we're going to beat WPG, the parade plans will be almost done again until we lose a game in round 3 and then we'll be back to firing everyone and breaking up the team again.

And so it goes ...

A portion of this fan base gets way too emotional. The rational facts are the team continues to lead a series where for the vast majority of games they've been the superior team. But people want to focus on writing the obituary of something in it's prime of life lol

Twine Tickler

Apr 5, 2010
Vancouver
Honestly even some of the mistakes shouldn't have ended up in our net. The 2nd and 3rd goals were soft.
ya for sure. It was terrible mistakes compounded by terrible goaltending. Unfortunate all around because the guys making the mistakes that cost us the game have largely been good all series. Them's the breaks, move onto Saturday and get the job done then

myleafs

May 25, 2021
That 2nd line is flying. My issue is playing 34 & 16 close to 25 minutes when the 2nd line is clearly better right now. Keefe puts the top line out when they are still tired and they get poor results
When Keefe was asked why Nylander played 7 min less than M&M when it was clear he is hot right now, it was the first time I have seen Keefe get flustered and pull shit out of his ass to try and justify it.

ottomaddox

Oct 31, 2017
Toronto
Keefe needs to be held accountable for his ice time allocation. The fact that Will is averaging 16:20 while Mitch is averaging 23:45 is insane. Willy has been by far our best offensive player this series, reward him with more ice time and lower Mitch's

Based on your offensive desires wouldn't you want Spezza to play 23 minutes? Isn't he the most productive leaf when it comes to points per 60?

Ziggdiezan

Apr 10, 2015
Both were. If we got this goaltending from Andy we win that CLB series.
Honestly don't think Campbell has played better this year during the playoffs than Andy did vs CLB last year on average. Difference is the leafs are not getting shutout half the games.

Campbell played worse last game than Andy did any game of the Columbus series.

leafsfan5

Jun 14, 2014
Based on your offensive desires wouldn't you want Spezza to play 23 minutes? Isn't he the most productive leaf when it comes to points per 60?
No because you also need to look at the quality of player, Willy is a 25 year old 1st line talent not an old depth guy in Spezza. If you give Willy an extra 2 minutes to get him to 18 while reducing Mitch by 2 to get him to 21 it's not the end of the world

Reactions: leafsgirl12

Gallagbi

Formerly Eazy_B97
Jul 5, 2005
Honestly don't think Campbell has played better this year during the playoffs than Andy did vs CLB last year on average. Difference is the leafs are not getting shutout half the games.

Campbell played worse last game than Andy did any game of the Columbus series.
Last game was similar to Game 3 for me vs. CLB.

We've generated more this series, but we've also given up more. Andy didn't face the same breakdowns Campbell has (even though we've still played well defensively this year)

We also haven't seen the Atkinson type goals that won Game 1 or much of the tip/traffic goals we did with Andy that basically won Game 5

myleafs

May 25, 2021
Marner kills all the penalties, and out on powerplay with first unit to feed Matthews, these minutes add up. Plus his line had four shifts in the first five minutes of the game last night. It's not like Nylander can fill those roles. That said, sure would help us to get a hot Nylander more ice time, but not at the expense of Marner - yea, coach has to figure this out.
First bolded is the point that people are pointing out isnt it? Why isnt our hottest player getting at least as much ice time as others. 2nd bolded part....101 percent disagree.

Reactions: Gary Nylund

egd27

Donec nunc annum
Sponsor
Jul 8, 2011
GTA
A portion of this fan base gets way too emotional. The rational facts are the team continues to lead a series where for the vast majority of games they've been the superior team. But people want to focus on writing the obituary of something in it's prime of life lol

Exactly, when was the last time they lost a series after leading 3-2 ? :popcorn:

Ziggdiezan

Apr 10, 2015
Last game was similar to Game 3 for me vs. CLB.

We've generated more this series, but we've also given up more. Andy didn't face the same breakdowns Campbell has (even though we've still played well defensively this year)

We also haven't seen the Atkinson type goals that won Game 1 or much of the tip/traffic goals we did with Andy that basically won Game 5
The pokecheck on the Byron goal while on his knees during the Leafs PP (ended up being the game winning goal) was pretty bad/similar in importance.

The game 5 goals for Campbell were due to bad positioning (way too deep on the 1st), scrambling like mad on one of the others where he fell over and lost his stick as well as being really slow to cover the puck. Definitely don't remember Andy letting in multiple bad ones in a single game vs CLB but I could be forgetting. Also remember quite a few breakaways/odd man rushes in both games but that is just system related (seen multiple articles talk about how leaf's active defenders cause more odd man rushes so leafs goalies have to be extra sharp)

Ciao

Jul 15, 2010
Toronto
If the Leafs eliminated the Habs in an empty arena, no one would believe it and it would just propagate conspiracy theories.

It will be better to defeat them before a live audience of 2,500 who will bear witness to the Habs' demise.

It all works out for the best.

Reactions: leafsgirl12

Teeder Keon

Defeat does not rest lightly on their shoulders
Mar 11, 2019
Deep in the Purple jungles of BC
The reason they lost is because all 5 clowns on the ice decided to pinch and allowed a 2 on 0.........inexcusable
upload_2021-5-28_13-3-11.jpeg

LaPlante94

Apr 12, 2011
The reason they lost is because all 5 clowns on the ice decided to pinch and allowed a 2 on 0.........inexcusable

We beat ourselves last game. 3 bad turnover in bad areas on the ice.
Keefe needs to be held accountable for his ice time allocation. The fact that Will is averaging 16:20 while Mitch is averaging 23:45 is insane. Willy has been by far our best offensive player this series, reward him with more ice time and lower Mitch's

PK time is why Marner gets more, but I do agree he should get more 5v5 ice time and even more PP time than Marner.

JT AM da real deal

Oct 4, 2018
When Keefe was asked why Nylander played 7 min less than M&M when it was clear he is hot right now, it was the first time I have seen Keefe get flustered and pull shit out of his ass to try and justify it.
Keefer knew when question was asked that he was f*cked .. and 1st time I have seen him start to spew BS .. correct this error Keefer .. if you speak da truth you will be fine .. take it like a man and say yeah I saw Willy outplaying Mitch but I was not ready to make da switch .. if you act in best interests of da team you will be fine .. once you start to play FAVS you will get f*cked here .. Jumbo is making people question you .. he is worse than bad and everyone knows it .. Mitch while not that bad is playing scared of his shadow and needs to be bumped as he is killing that line

BayStBullies

Burn the Boats!
Apr 1, 2012
@BayStBullies
You guys need to cut the crap. The Habs won as they were hungry the first 10 minutes. The Leafs didn't play a full 60 minutes and spent the rest of the game climbing. Having to score 4 straight without allowing any is what cost them the game. If the Leafs advance, they need to learn from this. The Jets will not give you a free pass if you give them free games or windows.

Reactions: ToneDog and ACC1224

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad