Post-Game Talk: Leafs lose 4-3 OT in game 5

glue

Jan 30, 2006
Toronto
If a 3-2 lead in the 1st round makes you nervous, just wait until the later rounds :laugh:

Thats the problem...its STILL the 1st round...17 years since we've made it to a round 2 will do that to ANY fanbase...we get past this round and I'm certain the cynicism drops a little and belief that anything is possible. Until then negativity is VERY easy to reach for.

TopChedder

Oct 2, 2013
Listening to Bruce Boudreau on Leafs Lunch and it’s nice to hear a coach see the same things I saw last night.

The Habs were lucky. They didn’t deserve to win.

They got lucky twice this series. Won’t happen again.

Yeah. That's essentially how I feel. If JT doesn't go down like he did in game 1 it's a sweep 100%

Last night was just one of those nights that they crashed hard in front on the net and it slipped through. Many nights only one of the goals go in (first one)

tom leafers

Jan 25, 2017
Toronto
i had leafs in 6 any way

01a.gifv

Reactions: glue

JT AM da real deal

Oct 4, 2018
Listening to Bruce Boudreau on Leafs Lunch and it’s nice to hear a coach see the same things I saw last night.

They exploited a known weakness Sandin's lack of foot speed for 5 goals so far and 2 wins .. that is not lucky it is shrewd advance planning .. if it happens once, maybe twice, it is lucky and when it occurs frequently it is not lucky .. but Bruce is not close enough to team anymore to know

hockeyes

Jun 15, 2013
The Jets are very opportunistic and will also capitalize on mistakes. It's probably a good kick in the ass for the team/coaching staff to refocus. The Sandin experiment should come to an end, if Montreal can force those turnovers so can every other team in the playoffs. I'd mention Thronton as well but we all know that's not happening.

Reactions: JT AM da real deal

Twine Tickler

Apr 5, 2010
Vancouver

ya thank god someone on that f***ing show has a brain. I was losing my mind when Craig Button gave his takes. Like how the f*** can a former NHL mind say that MTL's game last night was a solid. Were we watching the same game lol?? They gave up like 7 odd man rushes after establishing a 2-0 lead, and he is applauding MTL's Structure :huh:... Like you've got to be f***ing kidding me right??? Even in their "dominant" 1st period they had only 2 HDCF in comparison to the leaf 7 HDCF. Really no comparison

The Leafs were exposed on the mistakes that they made. MTL took what was served on a silver platter to them and made no mistakes. For that I will give them credit 100%... but that was a defensive train wreck once they established the lead. Carey bailed MTL out hard. And realistically, if Sandin makes 1 damn play in that game we win easily in regulation.

I will never say that was a good game for the Leafs, but that was a f***ing terrible game by MTL. And between the 2 terrible showings, the Leafs were very clearly the better team. Just the way she goes sometimes

Leafs will have to be ready for a better MTL team on Saturday. That was no where near the best from them. Arguably one of the Habs worst showings all series IMO. They played a good first 10 mins and won the game

GrizzGreen

Oct 16, 2017
Laguna
Thats the problem...its STILL the 1st round...17 years since we've made it to a round 2 will do that to ANY fanbase...we get past this round and I'm certain the cynicism drops a little and belief that anything is possible. Until then negativity is VERY easy to reach for.
I feel you man... battered Leafs syndrome like you read about

Reactions: glue

Mats13

Apr 22, 2015
ya thank god someone on that f***ing show has a brain. I was losing my mind when Craig Button gave his takes. Like how the f*** can a former NHL mind say that MTL's game last night was a solid. Were we watching the same game lol?? They gave up like 7 odd man rushes after establishing a 2-0 lead, and he is applauding MTL's Structure :huh:... Like you've got to be f***ing kidding me right??? Even in their "dominant" 1st period they had only 2 HDCF in comparison to the leaf 7 HDCF. Really no comparison

The Leafs were exposed on the mistakes that they made. MTL took what was served on a silver platter to them and made no mistakes. For that I will give them credit 100%... but that was a defensive train wreck once they established the lead. Carey bailed MTL out hard. And realistically, if Sandin makes 1 damn play in that game we win easily in regulation.

I will never say that was a good game for the Leafs, but that was a f***ing terrible game by MTL. And between the 2 terrible showings, the Leafs were very clearly the better team. Just the way she goes sometimes

Leafs will have to be ready for a better MTL team on Saturday. That was no where near the best from them. Arguably one of the Habs worst showings all series IMO. They played a good first 10 mins and won the game

Can they really be better than that?

The Habs whole strategy is hope Carey Price saves them lmao

He’s won them two games, that’s impressive but that’s also as far as it’s going. Leafs have shown they can beat him a couple of times and lock down the Habs. They’ll do it again.

Reactions: JT AM da real deal

LeafSteel

GO LEAFS GO!!!
Mar 5, 2014
Toronto
If Keefe is going to insist on Thornton, then the most helpful thing Jumbo can do is to fall on top of Price, a la Tutlechuk.

Whaddaya say Joe? Or be a real leader and go to Keefe to sit your game 6 and put someone else in who can keep up with the pace of the game.

Reactions: LeafsRus

mikeyz

Dec 3, 2013
If a 3-2 lead in the 1st round makes you nervous, just wait until the later rounds :laugh:

Well, I think it has more to do with the first round since we haven’t won a round in 17 years. They just want a playoff round win and are anxious about it more then anything

I might be naive with this comment, but, I think a large % of posters in here will relax if/when we get out of the 1st round. :laugh::laugh:

Reactions: LeafsRus

57 Years No Cup

New and Improved Username!
Nov 12, 2007
I have a question for you guys: Would it not have been better for Galch or Muzzin (or was it Holl....I've already blocked out that traumatic event) who were chasing to dive forward and throw/slide their stick towards the Montreal forwards in an attempt to break it up/interfere with the players/pass? I know it's a longshot and a penalty shot but they don't get 2-0 on a penalty shot do they?

Twine Tickler

Apr 5, 2010
Vancouver

He’s won them two games, that’s impressive but that’s also as far as it’s going. Leafs have shown they can beat him a couple of times and lock down the Habs. They’ll do it again.
ya exactly. Yesterday was them "opening" the game up and they got extremely lucky. They didn't generate anything more than they had in the previous 4 games and ended up giving up double the amount of qualit chances lol. If they want to consider that a good strategy, they can fill their boots. They will not win again playing that style. They were very fortunate that Carey stood on his head

Reactions: Mats13

tom leafers

Jan 25, 2017
Toronto
I have a question for you guys: Would it not have been better for Galch or Muzzin (or was it Holl....I've already blocked out that traumatic event) who were chasing to dive forward and throw/slide their stick towards the Montreal forwards in an attempt to break it up/interfere with the players/pass? I know it's a longshot and a penalty shot but they don't get 2-0 on a penalty shot do they?

is the play immediately blown down in that situation? like how the goalie flipped his net that one time on a 2-0? if so, maby it would be worth it. Campbell didnt have his best stuff yesterday either way. i expect him to be much better tomorrow

tom leafers

Jan 25, 2017
Toronto
ya exactly. Yesterday was them "opening" the game up and they got extremely lucky. They didn't generate anything more than they had in the previous 4 games and ended up giving up double the amount of qualit chances lol. If they want to consider that a good strategy, they can fill their boots. They will not win again playing that style. They were very fortunate that Carey stood on his head

and that we shit the bed.

i always had leafs in 6 and im feeling confident about that.

egd27

Donec nunc annum
Sponsor
Jul 8, 2011
GTA
... the leafs have 4 goals/10 points from their D this series. The Habs have zero points from their D.
So I find it hard to argue that lack of D production is the problem. It’s the 11 million dollar stars that are the problem

Weren't they the problem against CBJ in August? No never mind I remember now, it was that .936 goalie.

Gallagbi

Formerly Eazy_B97
Jul 5, 2005
is the play immediately blown down in that situation? like how the goalie flipped his net that one time on a 2-0? if so, maby it would be worth it. Campbell didnt have his best stuff yesterday either way. i expect him to be much better tomorrow
I'm pretty sure the dislodging is an automatic goal now.

egd27

Donec nunc annum
Sponsor
Jul 8, 2011
GTA
I hope that you're right, I've been to the Hamilton Bulldog games that only have 4,500 fans and it can get loud and these are Montreal fans. I think that it's a huge advantage. Maybe Ontario will allow fans in Toronto if there's a game 7, bit let's hope that there isn't one.

Did they play in a 20,000 seat facility? The Bell Centre will be 90% empty and the 10% that get in will be the richest of the rich STHs.

It's not a huge advantage. IMO it's going look like a Tuesday night game in Arizona against some bottom feeder like the Sabres......sad.

Gallagbi

Formerly Eazy_B97
Jul 5, 2005
Did they play in a 20,000 seat facility? The Bell Centre will be 90% empty and the 10% that get in will be the richest of the rich STHs.

It's not a huge advantage. IMO it's going look like a Tuesday night game in Arizona against some bottom feeder like the Sabres......sad.
It would have been Copps, so yes

Gallagbi

Formerly Eazy_B97
Jul 5, 2005
Can a goalie get a 0 to -1 win twice in a 5 game series :sarcasm:
They can certainly extend games and allow you to play tied rather than from behind vs. a trapping team.

Teams don't always have to score 3+ goals when they're playing solid defensively

JT AM da real deal

Oct 4, 2018

We shot ourselves in foot with 2 terrible giveaways by a rook D man who can't keep up to nhl play and who Habs had advanced scouted to attack due to his foot speed issues .. I would say we shot ourselves twice and Habs got 2 wins due to our mistakes .. take out Sandin and I think this was a sweep series

Reactions: Jmo89

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad