Post-Game Talk: Leafs Lose 4-2

Status
Not open for further replies.

Crows Eye

Oct 22, 2019
Pretty sure hutch played one of those
I stand corrected. Hutchinson played in the opening of the back-to-back Buffalo games and lost (again). Doesn’t really change the rest of my comment that the Leafs need to win 70% of their remaining games with Andersen in net.

likecheese

Oct 21, 2019
What other choice does he really have? Rielly and Barrie can't fight out of a paper bag? Muzzy is a bit slower now. Holl is fine now but looks like are only guy right now. Dermy is a kid still making bad mistakes like last night. Ceci well he is ok against 3rd lines but 1st and 2nd lines are too much for him. Ask yourself honestly what you would do as a coach. The other option was Babs choice the stretch bombs which resulted in us icing twice more than next closest team. It may be horrific but the options are very limited to a very limited personnel.
No I think you nailed it. They know they don't have a bunch of Chris Prongers, they want to play the quick-moving quick-exit style and he's finding out they can't do that either, not without turning the puck over 6 times before they manage to whack it over the blue line. He's got to put something in place.

Dekes For Days

Sep 24, 2018
Boston never gives up 5 kill zone chances per period EVER.
Not sure what you're talking about, or what "kill zone chances" are, but yeah, they do. Boston is being carried by their unsustainable top line and goal-tending. Try watching a game instead of just highlights, and try not judging the quality of shots based on whether the goalie lets them in.

We melt down and give up 3 in a few minutes before righting the ship.
You think the 3 goals in the 3rd last night were "kill zone chances"? :biglaugh:

The Carlyle Collapse
Keefe's system is pretty much the polar opposite of Carlyle's. :laugh:

saltming

Fan Addict
Oct 6, 2015
Other
Kerfoot is negative relative to the team in just about every advanced stat there is. He's slightly above team average in scoring chances (well below average in high danger chances). I'm mostly choosing to go after him because I don't think he's been providing those secondary benefits that role players provide. He hasn't been on the scoresheet, driving possession, or keeping pucks out of the net very well at all.

Funny thing is that when I've talked to her she's seemed mostly fine. Yeah, it's crummy but I don't think it's anywhere near agony. She's her usual self and the last time I spoke with her she pulled out a Tupperware of food and started munching away. I think she can't really chew on that side, but she's still able to eat normally.
I think the whole 3rd line is hurting though and at least he has some sort of physical excuse, be it slight or not.
Let's hope he regains his form soon.

I'm glad she's in good spirits. My ex is a hygienist and I've heard horror stories about these things.

Martin Skoula

Oct 18, 2017
Not sure what you're talking about, or what "kill zone chances" are, but yeah, they do. Boston is being carried by their unsustainable top line and goal-tending. Try watching a game instead of just highlights, and try not judging the quality of shots based on whether the goalie lets them in.

You think the 3 goals in the 3rd last night were "kill zone chances"? :biglaugh:

Keefe's system is pretty much the polar opposite of Carlyle's. :laugh:

Boston NEVER lets the other team take a bad angle shot from outside the slot, that's a KILL ZONE SHOT.

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site
No I think you nailed it. They know they don't have a bunch of Chris Prongers, they want to play the quick-moving quick-exit style and he's finding out they can't do that either, not without turning the puck over 6 times before they manage to whack it over the blue line. He's got to put something in place.

Additionally, how often do you see the forwards carry the puck back into their zone and lose control, or get 10 feet from the blueline and not get it out.

Team really lacks leadership.

There is talent no doubt, but no one who puts the team on their backs and says we're going guys.

I don't buy Tavares as leader one bit.

Martin Skoula

Oct 18, 2017
Additionally, how often do you see the forwards carry the puck back into their zone and lose control, or get 10 feet from the blueline and not get it out.

There is talent no doubt, but no one who puts the team on their backs and says we're going guys.

I don't think the approach is the problem, you can clearly see how it can work really well, and does for extended periods of time. It's the execution that's weak a lot of the time, they're bobbling a lot of passes and putting their teammates in dumb no-win situations often. I hope that's just them shaking off the Babcock instincts, they're too talented to be this bad at handling the puck sometimes.

Rielly4

Dec 12, 2012
Don't need a Bracco think another Hyman type

Nylander and Mathews are lazy in the dzone you need someone that will be great in the dzone and be first on the puck in the corner in the ozone and go to the net ( Hyman #2 )
Bracco is really smart with the puck and finds team mates often. I think the 3 of them would make good plays, create a ton of offense and have decent possession.

Rielly4

Dec 12, 2012

I think what you mean is we lack really elite players.

Look at Mackinnon...The guy is unstoppable and carrys the team. Rantanen is amazing as well. The closest thing we have to that is Marner but we really dont have anything even close to that level. Forget about points, Mackinnon has the puck and he has all day to do whatever he wants.

Our top guys really just arent playing at the level of other elite players, thats the bottom line.

Now there are some teams without truly elite players that still do very well, but those teams usually have a stingy defensive system that doesnt allow many high quality chances, and that will never be our style.

We need Matthews, Nylander and Marner to take the next step. Marner looks to be improving every game since coming back from injury, so thats a good sign. But Matthews and Nylander really need a better 3rd linemate and they need to step up big time.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad