Post-Game Talk: Leafs Lose 4-2

Status
Not open for further replies.

mrbagina

Jan 4, 2017
My mom goes birdwatching, but somehow only has two less points than Kerfoot over the last 17 games. She has a molar that's cracked all the way down to the nerve and is awaiting surgery. Kerfoot has had the surgery and I imagine the recovery is somewhat worse than the actual symptoms.

Frankly I'm surprised that a guy who's healthy enough in the roster but not healthy enough to actually produce anything has so many people leaping to his defense. Double his production on account of the injury and he's still only got 4 points in those 17 games, the guy just isn't effective at all right now. I'm always happy to see guys prove us wrong and go on a tear, but there ain't no nagging injury in the world that makes a 26 point pace (he was about .5ppg before the injury) okay. He's ice cold and our complete lack of depth scoring is really hurting right now. Hockey players get their teeth pulled on the bench and score on the next shift, if Kerfoot is healthy enough to play in the lineup, he should be putting up more than two points in seventeen games.
There were a few shifts that had Kerfoot with Mikehyev and Engvall that looked promising. I am willing to give Kerfoot a bit of a break as I thought he was an adequate 3C before his injury but he has been abysmal since he came back. I also wouldn't mind seeing Engvall up with Matthews.

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site
I don't care how well they have played the rest of the game, there are too many meltdowns by this team. It's not a good sign. You can't say "oh they played great, except for that meltdown there". It happens way too often. These meltdowns don't happen to real cup contenders. They are not going to make the playoffs and it will be sad.

I agree.

It really is their dreadful moments that do them in.

Catastrophic failure sinks good stats.

Reactions: JT AM da real deal

tmlms13

Apr 11, 2012
Waterloo, Ontario
I think Kerfoot would be better off as a winger right now or a faceoff only centre. Put Spezza in the middle, a little less responsibility for Kerfoot might help him relax and find his game. It's a lot of pressure to be a centre in Toronto, no matter where you are on the depth chart.

mrbagina

Jan 4, 2017
Giving up the points and letting the opposing D blast away whilst collapsing on net reminds me of the Carlyle days.

I know a lot of teams play that style but I'm not sure our D is up to it.
I personally hate it. I would go old school and have wingers up high and make sure the opposing dmen do not get the puck, so don't just watch the play but watch the dmen closely , leaving our center and dmen in zone coverage down low while always being between our goalie and the opposition.

mrbagina

Jan 4, 2017
Yeah, he's is indeed one of their tough guys.
I kinda agree on Kappy. He almost tries to be tough but its not natural for him but I will give him credit for at least making some sort of effort in that regard. Leafs currently do not have anyone on the roster who is mean and nasty and can play. A Chris Pronger on defense and a Tom Wilson on forward would do wonders for this team

hobarth

Jul 10, 2011
I had some issues with last's nights game and I don't know why they weren't resolved during the game:

1) Nylander is a better puck mover than Marner, Marner's better in confined spaces but on the PP Nylander should be the player starting from TO's zone
2) Why does TO move the puck so slowly during the PP, zip it around and that causes chaos, move it as slowly as TO did and even 5v3 Calgary had ample time to adjust
3) Kappy had a hard time being a LW before so why revisit that
4) The JT line was on last night and Hy received some golden opportunities which he flubbed, TO should've won the game in the first period and if JT and Marner had a better line mate TO might have cashed in on Hy's opportunities

Brown Dog

Jun 23, 2007
I had some issues with last's nights game and I don't know why they weren't resolved during the game:

1) Nylander is a better puck mover than Marner, Marner's better in confined spaces but on the PP Nylander should be the player starting from TO's zone
2) Why does TO move the puck so slowly during the PP, zip it around and that causes chaos, move it as slowly as TO did and even 5v3 Calgary had ample time to adjust
3) Kappy had a hard time being a LW before so why revisit that
4) The JT line was on last night and Hy received some golden opportunities which he flubbed, TO should've won the game in the first period and if JT and Marner had a better line mate TO might have cashed in on Hy's opportunities

Agreed. This bugs me too.

saltming

Fan Addict
Oct 6, 2015
Other
My mom goes birdwatching, but somehow only has two less points than Kerfoot over the last 17 games. She has a molar that's cracked all the way down to the nerve and is awaiting surgery. Kerfoot has had the surgery and I imagine the recovery is somewhat worse than the actual symptoms.

Frankly I'm surprised that a guy who's healthy enough in the roster but not healthy enough to actually produce anything has so many people leaping to his defense. Double his production on account of the injury and he's still only got 4 points in those 17 games, the guy just isn't effective at all right now. I'm always happy to see guys prove us wrong and go on a tear, but there ain't no nagging injury in the world that makes a 26 point pace (he was about .5ppg before the injury) okay. He's ice cold and our complete lack of depth scoring is really hurting right now. Hockey players get their teeth pulled on the bench and score on the next shift, if Kerfoot is healthy enough to play in the lineup, he should be putting up more than two points in seventeen games.
I agree if he is healthy enough to play there are no excuses, but being an effective player doesn't need to equate to points.
I'm sure his possession numbers are still pretty high and that in a 3rd line role is effective.
Side note: sorry to hear about your moms tooth. It must be agony.

LeafGrief

Shambles in my brain
Apr 10, 2015
Ottawa
I agree if he is healthy enough to play there are no excuses, but being an effective player doesn't need to equate to points.
I'm sure his possession numbers are still pretty high and that in a 3rd line role is effective.
Side note: sorry to hear about your moms tooth. It must be agony.
Kerfoot is negative relative to the team in just about every advanced stat there is. He's slightly above team average in scoring chances (well below average in high danger chances). I'm mostly choosing to go after him because I don't think he's been providing those secondary benefits that role players provide. He hasn't been on the scoresheet, driving possession, or keeping pucks out of the net very well at all.

Funny thing is that when I've talked to her she's seemed mostly fine. Yeah, it's crummy but I don't think it's anywhere near agony. She's her usual self and the last time I spoke with her she pulled out a Tupperware of food and started munching away. I think she can't really chew on that side, but she's still able to eat normally.

Eye Test

End the soft perimeter hockey.
Apr 13, 2019
Toronto
I personally hate it. I would go old school and have wingers up high and make sure the opposing dmen do not get the puck, so don't just watch the play but watch the dmen closely , leaving our center and dmen in zone coverage down low while always being between our goalie and the opposition.

Been preaching this since the first Boston series. Simple hockey 101 instead of the advanced stats look on system usage which has wingers supporting the D/C on the hashmarks which IMO is pointless and leads to countless times being hemmed in.

The advanced stats model for system usage we have been deploying for years should theoretically reduce high slot danger chances by allowing more point shots however I don’t see it correlating and I constantly see Freddie getting blasted by shots in dangerous areas.

One of the few things that I would have changed 3 years ago.

Ratboy

I made a funny!
Jul 15, 2009
I don't think things are as bad as they seem. We beat st Louis and Vancouver and looked good those games. We even looked good last night until the 3rd and Calgary has been red hot.

I feel like those two good games show just what we're capable of.. but consistency is an issue as it is with all young teams.

I think we'll squeak into the playoffs but not do much there. It's clear we are lacking something.. I fear it may be heart.

Something Dubas will have to face up to if we want to make any real runs in the future . This year has been a step back, unfortunately.

Bluelines

Python FTW!
Nov 17, 2013
I'm trying to be optimistic about this team... here it goes..... sigh... We will never win again!

Pookie

Wear a mask
Oct 23, 2013
I'm trying to be optimistic about this team... here it goes..... sigh... We will never win again!

That’s a step up from we will never get an OTL again.

Good for you little boy blue.

(Hands off Drake... that’s my lyric)

Tlo1

Nov 6, 2017
Willy can play on his off wing
hes done it and he was good
Kappy cant play on his off wing
but he had a good game imho
Keefe needs them to switch sides and problem solved:
Willy-Matty-Kappy
not KappyMattyWilly
I personally think Kappys better in a bottom 6 role.

Peasy

May 25, 2012
Star Shoppin
For whatever reason ever since Marner took heat in the summer he’s done nothing but bash Nylander.

He’s a reasonable poster, but for some reason there’s this irrational hate for Nylander now, which is odd, considering they had defended Nylander last year
Man can't but help to bring up Nylander point pace the second it drops below 60 its hilarious. Nylander's on pace for 72 points over the first two months we don't hear a peep. Now he only has 1 point in 5 games in December and his point pace drops below 60 and he will bring it up every opportunity he can.

JT AM da real deal

Oct 4, 2018
And Rielly isn't exactly known for his defensive acumen.

Keefe still has work to do in the pairings.

Or maybe Dubas has to take action.

I guess if you look at the cap hit of Barrie you could live with it, but I think I'd be shopping him if I were Dubas. Sometime it isn't the right fit.
I think you will see him traded for a pick. Personally at 3M per I would keep him as a PP/3rd pair guy but reports are he wants 8M per. I think he is smoking something but one of reasons Colorado moved on from him.

JT AM da real deal

Oct 4, 2018
They do. They just often get the saves that we haven't this year.
Boston never gives up 5 kill zone chances per period EVER. Washington either. It is only mediocre teams and non-playoff teams that do. We melt down and give up 3 in a few minutes before righting the ship. We just don't have enough defensive defenders. It is really quite simple. And it is why Keefe is dropping 5 guys back around the net because he knows he can't trust his defense to get the job done.

likecheese

Oct 21, 2019
Boston never gives up 5 kill zone chances per period EVER. Washington either. It is only mediocre teams and non-playoff teams that do. We melt down and give up 3 in a few minutes before righting the ship. We just don't have enough defensive defenders. It is really quite simple. And it is why Keefe is dropping 5 guys back around the net because he knows he can't trust his defense to get the job done.
The Carlyle Collapse, the last desperate option when you realise you have a bunch of defensemen that can't play defense.
I can't believe anybody could watch this horrific crapshow defensive play and think it's anywhere near normal.

JT AM da real deal

Oct 4, 2018
The Carlyle Collapse, the last desperate option when you realise you have a bunch of defensemen that can't play defense.
I can't believe anybody could watch this horrific crapshow defensive play and think it's anywhere near normal.
What other choice does he really have? Rielly and Barrie can't fight out of a paper bag? Muzzy is a bit slower now. Holl is fine now but looks like are only guy right now. Dermy is a kid still making bad mistakes like last night. Ceci well he is ok against 3rd lines but 1st and 2nd lines are too much for him. Ask yourself honestly what you would do as a coach. The other option was Babs choice the stretch bombs which resulted in us icing twice more than next closest team. It may be horrific but the options are very limited to a very limited personnel.

Reactions: napoleon in rags
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad