Post-Game Talk: Leafs Lose 4-2

Status
Not open for further replies.

LeafGrief

Shambles in my brain
Apr 10, 2015
Ottawa
You mean since he completely broke his face? You try playing effective hockey while drinking meat smoothies out of a straw.
Dental fractures are not "a completely broken face". My sympathies to his injury, but he's in the lineup and he's playing.

need to switch up the 4th line and get Agositino in here. Petan and Goat can go, as can Aberg. I'd also be looking at moving Kap

Hard disagree on moving Kappy, he's one of the only guys who looks like he gives a shit every night. Guy is a warrior for us and has earned the Maple Leaf as far as I'm concerned.

Crows Eye

Oct 22, 2019
The Leafs are playing decent hockey since Keefe took over, the problem is, they need to play “lights out” hockey for the remaining 49 games. They are 6-4 under Keefe. Winning .600. The Leafs have 49 games left. Realistically, the back up needs to play 8-10 games of those games. And those 8-10 games are a big problem. Winning .600 of the remaining games gives us 93 points. Maybe enough for a wild-card this year, but barely. But if Hutchinson continues to lose or even just plays below .500, which at this point seems generous, then Andersen needs to be winning at .700 or higher. That is a big, heavy weight of pressure that Andersen is gonna carry through this winter.
Note: In the previous version of this comment I said that Andersen has played all the games under Keefe. I was wrong. Hutchinson played the opening game of the Buffalo back-to-back and lost.

Last edited:

ShaneFalco

Jul 15, 2012
London, On
Dental fractures are not "a completely broken face". My sympathies to his injury, but he's in the lineup and he's playing.

Hard disagree on moving Kappy, he's one of the only guys who looks like he gives a **** every night. Guy is a warrior for us and has earned the Maple Leaf as far as I'm concerned.

You make a good point - AJ then :)

saltming

Fan Addict
Oct 6, 2015
Other
A guy who's flying under the radar lately is Kerfoot. Two points in the last seventeen games, hasn't scored in 12. He started the year looking pretty good but he's just been completely invisible lately. Since the OT win against Buffalo, we have just two goals from outside the top6 forwards. Spezza has one, Dermott has the other. For all this talk about how our big guns aren't getting it done, our defense has completely dried up offensively and our depth hasn't done a damn thing. Our big guns (and Hyman) are the only ones on this team who are scoring any goals at all. We really need that depth scoring to come back. Kerfoot (12 games), Mikheyev (21 games), Rielly (21 games), and the entire cast of characters on the 4th line all need to get some goals going. Our depth is full of decent/good hockey players, but we're not getting any production outside of the top6.
I wonder if his broken face might have something to do with that?
:dunno:

LeafGrief

Shambles in my brain
Apr 10, 2015
Ottawa
You make a good point - AJ then :)

Yeah man, I dunno. I feel like AJ has so much more to give, but he just hasn't really shown it this year. I think it would be a mistake to move on from a 45 point winger making 3.4m for 4 years. Would need to get a pretty good return for moving him to make sense. I'd move AJ to upgrade Matthews LW, but I'd dump Kerfoot for the cap space.

I wonder if his broken face might have something to do with that?
:dunno:
Dental fractures ain't a broken face. My mom has a dental fracture right now. It's a pain in the ass and she's not a hockey player, but it's not a "1 point in the 16 games following that he was healthy enough to play in" injury and surgery recovery.

fahad203

Oct 3, 2009
Why does Keefe get a free pass here? Because he's new?

He clearly has this soft spot for Petan. Maybe he wants to give him every opportunity to succeed but right now the team doesn't need feel good stories. We need wins

Petan and Aberg bring nothing to this team. Tima brings nothing. We need some balls and size

Can we end this BS experiments? I rather have Marchment(who btw is back with the Marlies) seating in the bench doing nothing than Petan, who also does nothing

Aberg, puke. Utter puke. This is a guy gets waived by every team, doesn't get any contracts anywhere else but somehow he gets to play games with Matthews? I mean come on

Mika had a solid game last night. I remember when players playing well would get rewarded by moving up the line up or getting PP chances. Instead we put Petan in 2nd PP. You know the guy who has no goals this year

ShaneFalco

Jul 15, 2012
London, On
Game #33 Review: Calgary Flames 4 vs. Toronto Maple Leafs 2 | Maple Leafs Hotstove

Big picture, I think Keefe is mostly right in his philosophy here, but the team is going to need more out of its depth lines in more limited minutes. A fourth line that doesn’t give the team much energy or offense and then concedes the game-losing goal on a fancy play gone wrong in the neutral zone (by Jason Spezza) wouldn’t survive to the next game under many head coaches in the league, but Sheldon Keefe does view things a little differently, so it’ll be interesting to see if Petan – Spezza – Aberg is still together on Saturday in Edmonton.

I said it in the previous review when I anticipated Pontus Aberg dropping down off the Matthews unit, but it doesn’t look like a viable fourth line to me — there is no identity to the line other than as a diluted wanna-be scoring unit that probably isn’t going to accomplish much of anything in eight minutes of ice time. If you’re going to run a relatively-soft top nine that is skill and speed-focused like the Leafs are, you probably at least need some diversity on your fourth line — a unit that can provide some heavy shifts, be sound without the puck, spark the team occasionally, and set up the skilled lines to follow. They had it going for about five games at the start of the year with Timashov – Gauthier – Shore, but the fourth line has been a revolving door of not-much-going-on since.

CelticDruid

Oct 23, 2013
Penticton , BC

Hard disagree on moving Kappy, he's one of the only guys who looks like he gives a **** every night. Guy is a warrior for us and has earned the Maple Leaf as far as I'm concerned.

Kappy has been invisible for over 5 games, he looks like he is skating on some lake all by himself. Brain fog is real ask Kappy.

Suntouchable13

Dec 20, 2003
Toronto, ON
Game #33 Review: Calgary Flames 4 vs. Toronto Maple Leafs 2 | Maple Leafs Hotstove

Big picture, I think Keefe is mostly right in his philosophy here, but the team is going to need more out of its depth lines in more limited minutes. A fourth line that doesn’t give the team much energy or offense and then concedes the game-losing goal on a fancy play gone wrong in the neutral zone (by Jason Spezza) wouldn’t survive to the next game under many head coaches in the league, but Sheldon Keefe does view things a little differently, so it’ll be interesting to see if Petan – Spezza – Aberg is still together on Saturday in Edmonton.

I said it in the previous review when I anticipated Pontus Aberg dropping down off the Matthews unit, but it doesn’t look like a viable fourth line to me — there is no identity to the line other than as a diluted wanna-be scoring unit that probably isn’t going to accomplish much of anything in eight minutes of ice time. If you’re going to run a relatively-soft top nine that is skill and speed-focused like the Leafs are, you probably at least need some diversity on your fourth line — a unit that can provide some heavy shifts, be sound without the puck, spark the team occasionally, and set up the skilled lines to follow. They had it going for about five games at the start of the year with Timashov – Gauthier – Shore, but the fourth line has been a revolving door of not-much-going-on since.

Yea, I mean that line is garbage. It doesn't give you anything.

GoBuds14

Dec 15, 2015
Marner and Tavares on for the first 3 GA. Who on earth thinks that is good?
This is kind of shallow analysis though, and a reason why +- isn't considered a reliable stat. Your comments means nothing without dissecting the plays, sometimes you can be on for a goal against without being the cause.

CelticDruid

Oct 23, 2013
Penticton , BC
Giving up the points and letting the opposing D blast away whilst collapsing on net reminds me of the Carlyle days.

I know a lot of teams play that style but I'm not sure our D is up to it.

Eye Test

End the soft perimeter hockey.
Apr 13, 2019
Toronto
The Leafs are playing decent hockey since Keefe took over, the problem is, they need to play “lights out” hockey for the remaining 49 games. They are 6-4 under Keefe. Winning .600, but keep in mind that Andersen has played every one of those games. At some point the back up has to play. Realistically, the back up needs to play 8-10 games of the remaining 49. And those 8-10 games are a big problem. Winning .600 of the remaining games gives us 93 points. Maybe enough for a wild-card this year, but barely. But if Hutchinson continues to lose or even just plays below .500, which at this point seems generous, then Andersen needs to be winning at .700 or higher. That is a big, heavy weight of pressure that Andersen is gonna carry through this winter.

Pretty sure hutch played one of those

saltming

Fan Addict
Oct 6, 2015
Other
Yeah man, I dunno. I feel like AJ has so much more to give, but he just hasn't really shown it this year. I think it would be a mistake to move on from a 45 point winger making 3.4m for 4 years. Would need to get a pretty good return for moving him to make sense. I'd move AJ to upgrade Matthews LW, but I'd dump Kerfoot for the cap space.

Dental fractures ain't a broken face. My mom has a dental fracture right now. It's a pain in the ass and she's not a hockey player, but it's not a "1 point in the 16 games following that he was healthy enough to play in" injury and surgery recovery.
Does you mom play contact sports where you get slammed around by fridges on skates every shift?

And for the record there are different categories of dental fractures. Don't k own what your mom or kerfoot's are but just putting it out there

GoonieFace

Jun 24, 2013
The Matrix
As much as people complained about Babcock being stubborn, it looks like the stuborness of Dubas and Keefe trying these useless shrimps (Aberg/Petan) is just as bad.

madmike77

Jan 9, 2009
As much as people complained about Babcock being stubborn, it looks like the stuborness of Dubas and Keefe trying these useless shrimps (Aberg/Petan) is just as bad.

You need some larger guys but plenty of teams are getting by with smaller depth players. Look at the Flames - they’ve got Mangiapane and Dube to round out their depth and both are small skill guys.

LeafGrief

Shambles in my brain
Apr 10, 2015
Ottawa
Does you mom play contact sports where you get slammed around by fridges on skates every shift?

And for the record there are different categories of dental fractures. Don't k own what your mom or kerfoot's are but just putting it out there
My mom goes birdwatching, but somehow only has two less points than Kerfoot over the last 17 games. She has a molar that's cracked all the way down to the nerve and is awaiting surgery. Kerfoot has had the surgery and I imagine the recovery is somewhat worse than the actual symptoms.

Frankly I'm surprised that a guy who's healthy enough in the roster but not healthy enough to actually produce anything has so many people leaping to his defense. Double his production on account of the injury and he's still only got 4 points in those 17 games, the guy just isn't effective at all right now. I'm always happy to see guys prove us wrong and go on a tear, but there ain't no nagging injury in the world that makes a 26 point pace (he was about .5ppg before the injury) okay. He's ice cold and our complete lack of depth scoring is really hurting right now. Hockey players get their teeth pulled on the bench and score on the next shift, if Kerfoot is healthy enough to play in the lineup, he should be putting up more than two points in seventeen games.

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
Wonder if Gauthier is going to be Keefes Leivo.

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site
Barrie made a very bad decision on the winning goal. But that is Barrie. He is a very high risk defense. But he has to play like that or he is out of the league.

And Rielly isn't exactly known for his defensive acumen.

Keefe still has work to do in the pairings.

Or maybe Dubas has to take action.

I guess if you look at the cap hit of Barrie you could live with it, but I think I'd be shopping him if I were Dubas. Sometime it isn't the right fit.

Reactions: JT AM da real deal

LeafsOHLRangers98

Jun 13, 2017
Why does Keefe get a free pass here? Because he's new?

He clearly has this soft spot for Petan. Maybe he wants to give him every opportunity to succeed but right now the team doesn't need feel good stories. We need wins

Petan and Aberg bring nothing to this team. Tima brings nothing. We need some balls and size

Can we end this BS experiments? I rather have Marchment(who btw is back with the Marlies) seating in the bench doing nothing than Petan, who also does nothing

Aberg, puke. Utter puke. This is a guy gets waived by every team, doesn't get any contracts anywhere else but somehow he gets to play games with Matthews? I mean come on

Mika had a solid game last night. I remember when players playing well would get rewarded by moving up the line up or getting PP chances. Instead we put Petan in 2nd PP. You know the guy who has no goals this year
You realize Marchment just came off a major injury and is a borderline fringe player at this point right? Agostino is a much better option at this point.

Petan has value but he needs to start producing if he wants to stick in our lineup. He's our best posseasion player deapite 60% defensive zone starts but 0 goals and just 3 assists in 16 games is brutal. He makes smart plays but somebody on his line (including him) need to start finishing or he'll be out of the lineup real quick.

I'm not sold on Aberg either but I think he should be on that 4th line in the RW spot vs. playing his off wing on the Matthews line. Hive him a few games then send him down if need be. I'd much rather try Petan or Engvall there.

Clark4Ever

What we do in hockey echoes in eternity...
Oct 10, 2010
T.O.
We were the better team and were undone by defensive lapses and an uncharacteristic 3rd period for Freddy.

Disappointing, but still some positives to build on as the team tries to build a new identity under Keefe and salvage this season.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad