Post-Game Talk: Leafs lose 4-2; but line matching must endure

Rogie

ALIVE
May 17, 2013
Kyoungsan
In terms of average ice time over the course of this season, Hyman is second among forwards with 17:35 average TOI (Matthews is 1st). Komarov is 4th with 16:32.

These guys should be 4th liners playing limited minutes + PK time. No reason for these two to be playing more than guys like Nylander, Marner, Kadri, JVR, etc.

There is no reason that Matthews full time winger should NOT have more TOI than anyone else, ESPECIALLY, if that winger is an elite PKer.

And the reason those players have so much TOI is part of the reason we are where we are in the standings!

You can make an argument, that, OH, we would be way higher up in the standings and we would have won way way more games if those players played less - but it's only theory and we are where we are in the standings because of what we've done so far - regardless if you think it is in spite of Babcock's line-up decisions or not.

We just have to stay ahead of weaker teams in our division to stay 2nd or 3rd in our division and get into the playoffs and then, well, things will probably be different in terms of who plays how much.

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site
It's the NHL, we're 30+ games into the season. No excuses. Sure they're motivated but that's no excuse, we should know they're going to be motivated and that should motivate us. You don't just say oh they're motivated, I guess we'll lose this one.

No excuses.

Mistakes lost the game, but one team made fewer, but one team was more motivated. The winning team.

Very few players bring the same motivation to every game. They are human not some emotionless Red Army Russian players playing for the state.

coupe93

Dec 15, 2009
This nightmare Dec schedule is almost in the rear-view, thank f***! Matthews will be back (2018?). Marner and Nylander are still adjusting and fighting through adversity and appears to be picking it up.

The scheduled b2b's against rested teams on away ice won't be as bad the remainder of the regular season. With the second half of the schedule looking more favourable, I can see us closing the gap on TBay, if relatively healthy.

So while we're pole dancing, twerking that thang up for real all gangster, maybe some of the scapegoating and negativity will be relaxed just a bit. No doubt we've looked terrible during stretches this first half (schedule wasn't helping), and while Babcock isn't perfect and can be head scratchingly frustrating at times, I see us turning the corner in a positive way, all the signs are there. Enjoy the ride.

Reactions: canadon

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
Babcock is attempting to get the Leafs play a hybrid style similar to Columbus with strong zone pressure and work on the cycle below the icing line with a dump and chase strategy when you can't carry it in.

Very impressive how much Columbus is able to keep pressure on and control in the Ozone.

Tak7

Nov 1, 2009
GTA or the UK
Jake Gardiner isn't 22 or 23 anymore.

He's 27. He's on a big boy contract. It boggles my mind how one player can look so good and composed in one game, and literally like 29 hours later look like such a mess.

At one point does the "inconsistent mess" label get slapped on this guy like a noose around his neck?

Rogie

ALIVE
May 17, 2013
Kyoungsan
Mistakes lost the game, but one team made fewer, but one team was more motivated. The winning team.

Very few players bring the same motivation to every game. They are human not some emotionless Red Army Russian players playing for the state.

Perfect - even the hardest working players work harder some nights than other nights. Say what you like about Babcock's (tiring) mantra about hard work, he is correct in that hard work and a little skill beats skill and not hard work.

Critical13

Fear is the mind-killer.
Feb 25, 2017
Sitting at a desk.
Mitch Marner 4 points last 2 games supestar. Tyler Bozak 4 points last 2 games trade the bum. Marner now tied with Dominic Moore in goal scoring.

Marner set up Bozak on every positive play he made. Bozak's goal only happened because Marner went through 3 defenders.

Last edited by a moderator:

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013

I understand players aren't robots. That said, I'm loathe to use lack of motivation as an excuse because we've looked unmotivated for almost every game we've played since the beginning of November.

The MTL dynasty in the 70's had a motivation problem - how do you get up for games night after night against boring inferior opposition? Guess what, they found a way. They did it because they we're pros and they wanted to win every game they played. Larry Robinson used to say in the dressing room before games - "we gotta play the game, may as well win it".

These guys are being paid a TON of money every game. Take the average salary and divide it by 82 games and see what you get. As a fan, I expect maximum effort every shift, period. I understand they're not robots so they won't quite be able to give me that much but I do expect them to do their best to get as close to that ideal as they possibly can.

Sorry but I don't care much for the motivation excuse. Like I said, we should know they're going to be coming at us hard so we should use that knowledge to motivate us because we want to win the game just as much they do.

BertCorbeau

F*ck cancer - RIP Fugu and Buffaloed
Jan 6, 2012
Simcoe County

He's 27. He's on a big boy contract. It boggles my mind how one player can look so good and composed in one game, and literally like 29 hours later look like such a mess.

At one point does the "inconsistent mess" label get slapped on this guy like a noose around his neck?

To the first bolded: It's what makes him a top 4 d-man.

To the seconded bolded: It's what prevents him from being a top pairing d-man.

Minus Mitch

Oct 17, 2017
Marner set up Bozak on every positive play he made. Bozak's goal only happened because Marner went through 3 defenders.
Kadri scores only when Komarov puts pressure on the opposition causing turnovers yet it’s all Kadri? See how this goes? The fan and media “chosen” get special treatment.

Joedoggy

Feb 7, 2017
You have a coach that does not play nor understand a physical game of hockey..he never has nor will, he plucked arguably the NHL's best hitter and physical influence and coaching thinks you send him out 4 shifts after an incident(dumb)..The Leafs are small, face facts and worst they not physical nor can they be under a Babcock system. Torts has more Grit in his coaching than Babcock will ever have.
Anyone thinking overplaying Brown/Hyman/Komarov upsets an opponent is incorrect for sure..the three combined don't have enough mean in them to send any form of discomfort to any opponent........Weak coach weak favourites = inability to win when you must...Euro/Babcock hockey

Albi34

Feb 14, 2010
Kadri scores only when Komarov puts pressure on the opposition causing turnovers yet it’s all Kadri? See how this goes? The fan and media “chosen” get special treatment.

What special treatment? Has Marner not earned his spot on the leafs because he's only second in team points, and not first? When Marner has a bad game it gets pointed out, but the thing is hes been one of our best players for last couple weeks.

PromisedLand

I need more FOOD
Dec 3, 2016
Hogwarts

that is an easy one to answer. It seems like whenever the opposition plays body hard, Gards has a hail mary game :laugh:

Zizzzzy

Dec 6, 2017
I'd put Marner on the Kadri line b/c he's on fire right now and can drive that line. Put Brown on the JvR-Bozak line to even out the defensive issues. Might get Kadri going again idk. Problem is I know JvR-Bozak-Marner like playing together.

YES! that's the key. Take the line that currently dominating play and break it up!

Zizzzzy

Dec 6, 2017
Man the Hyman Babcock qq force is strong.

I think all forum software needs to include an eye roll button along with the like button. I would find it more useful.

Wafflewhipper

Jan 18, 2014
Babcock can keep giving Hyman top minutes among forwards but he better be prepared for the blame if all these teams with games in hand on us catch up and drop us to 15 or 16 in the league.

Hyman is a dammed checker that should only get more than 16 minutes a game when we are taking to many penalties or is scoring and playing hot that game(jot likely)!

I'm getting a hate on for babs on this

Minus Mitch

Oct 17, 2017
What special treatment? Has Marner not earned his spot on the leafs because he's only second in team points, and not first? When Marner has a bad game it gets pointed out, but the thing is hes been one of our best players for last couple weeks.
And one of the worst also. Yet it’s always his linemates who have kept pace. Marner 5 points last two games Bozak 5 points last two games yet who gets the press?

Pookie

Wear a mask
Oct 23, 2013
For all the the flack Marner, JVR and Bozak take, Marner now 3rd in points. JVR leads in scoring and Bozak, though older and struggling at times is just 4 points back of the top 4.

Reactions: Budsfan

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
For all the the flack Marner, JVR and Bozak take, Marner now 3rd in points. JVR leads in scoring and Bozak, though older and struggling at times is just 4 points back of the top 4.

Don't forget the letter on his jersey. Despite his age and his struggles, he still manages to skate from one end of the ice to the other while carrying the extra weight of that letter. He's a letter carrier that Bozak, he sure enough is.

Critical13

Fear is the mind-killer.
Feb 25, 2017
Sitting at a desk.

Judging by your name, I would say maybe you are the bias one? Minus Mitch? Really?

I am sure everyone else is wrong, and you are right though...o_O

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad