Post-Game Talk: Leafs lose 4-2; but line matching must endure

Mr Hockey

Toronto
May 11, 2017
Hey, that's what I said... last year, when everyone and their dog was praising Gardiner's greatness...

I remember trying to explain "Quality of Competition and sheltering" to Gardiner fans 3-4 years ago, they said there was know such thing and they used Hero charts to show his greatness lol

Blanche Blanche

Torontoooooo
Dec 2, 2017
Toronto
We were doing our thang y'all know what I'm saying. But wait until we get ours back in matthews. That that dude right there and our hero. He gon spark that thang up real big. Real hard is what I'm indicating. We gon spank that thang after that. Our physical game should have been a bit higher tonight, as jenner and others moved that body like ja rule, but we ain't out yet. We bout to win in the playoffs period.

haven't seen typing like this since the 90's & early 2000's...

hullsy47

Dec 7, 2005
I remember trying to explain "Quality of Competition and sheltering" to Gardiner fans 3-4 years ago, they said there was know such thing and they used Hero charts to show his greatness lol
gardiner and carrick were horrible ,nothing carrick does liligren cant do just with les effort ,brutal ,until u see the leafs live ,gardiner is his own worst enemy ...he looks like hes gona make the right play then decides to do the opposite

unless the sports scientist told him not to trust his brains

Minus Mitch

Oct 17, 2017
Mitch Marner 4 points last 2 games supestar. Tyler Bozak 4 points last 2 games trade the bum. Marner now tied with Dominic Moore in goal scoring.

Last edited by a moderator:

Walshy7

Sep 18, 2016
Toronto
Komarov and Brown on the same PP unit is really quite unfair to Nylnader, Marleau and gardiner. Komarov is there to be the nuisance so I guess its acceptable but Brown just does not have the skills for a PP player, Kapanen is a far better option. If you want to take Komarov out Brown can play the nuisance role that's fine.

CantLoseWithMatthews

Sep 28, 2015
Komarov and Brown on the same PP unit is really quite unfair to Nylnader, Marleau and gardiner. Komarov is there to be the nuisance so I guess its acceptable but Brown just does not have the skills for a PP player, Kapanen is a far better option. If you want to take Komarov out Brown can play the nuisance role that's fine.
There's no need for a nuisance player with no offense to be on the powerplay

93gilmour93

Feb 27, 2010
Jake Gardiner hurts my head watching games. He looks clueless defensively on a couple goals but then scores one himself. Can't see the leafs giving him big money on a long term deal after this contract

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site

Matthews will take care of the 2nd. PP unit when he's back in a few days.

I'd like to see Borgman get some time on the PP in the future.

Matthews, Nylander, Kapanen, Marleau, Borgman for wth.

Trapper

Nov 21, 2013
Komarov shouldn't even be in the NHL at this point. I have no idea why he's still playing so many minutes.
That part is a little extreme. The coach trusts him and he is a high end PKer.
That being said, he shouldn't be on the PP and his 5 on 5 minutes should reflect the nature of the game. When we are protecting a 2 goal lead, Hyman,Brown,Komarov are fine. Down by a couple though, Marner,Nylander,Kapanen should increase in minutes.

Reactions: Nifty Willy

ECanuck

Jan 7, 2010
Hamilton
you cant play/coach your players like its a playoff game, every game! its an 82 game season lol

Yeah, some games it will show. They just have to minimize the dull games. It will be hard for them as a young group. Especially if they look at the standings. Doesn't matter what you tell yourself, you feel a little comfort and not as wired for some games.

X66

114-110
Aug 18, 2008
Hard to be upset over this game. Columbus got the bounces and the timely saves, we didn't.

On to the next one, hope Matthews is ready.

Reactions: Fluke Schenn

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
Hard to be upset over this game. Columbus got the bounces and the timely saves, we didn't.

On to the next one, hope Matthews is ready.

I guess I'm more upset than most. We fell behind 2-0 early and that was pretty much the game. We had outshot them to that point but they definitely had the better scoring chances. Was really hoping for a better effort but what can you do, CLB is a very good team and they outplayed us, simple as that.

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site
I guess I'm more upset than most. We fell behind 2-0 early and that was pretty much the game. We had outshot them to that point but they definitely had the better scoring chances. Was really hoping for a better effort but what can you do, CLB is a very good team and they outplayed us, simple as that.

They were a motivated team, had been embarrassed recently.

Motivation is huge in a close league.

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
They were a motivated team, had been embarrassed recently.

Motivation is huge in a close league.

It's the NHL, we're 30+ games into the season. No excuses. Sure they're motivated but that's no excuse, we should know they're going to be motivated and that should motivate us. You don't just say oh they're motivated, I guess we'll lose this one.

No excuses.

Albi34

Feb 14, 2010
Mitch Marner 4 points last 2 games supestar. Tyler Bozak 4 points last 2 games trade the bum. Marner now tied with Dominic Moore in goal scoring.

Yeah lets for sure discount the fact that he's a play making winger leading the entire team in assists, and currently second in points (matthews being first). But what do facts matter!

Last edited by a moderator:

PuckMagi

Apr 13, 2013
Toronto
In terms of average ice time over the course of this season, Hyman is second among forwards with 17:35 average TOI (Matthews is 1st). Komarov is 4th with 16:32.

These guys should be 4th liners playing limited minutes + PK time. No reason for these two to be playing more than guys like Nylander, Marner, Kadri, JVR, etc.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad