Post-Game Talk: Leafs Lose 2-1 ... Kind of... In a shootout (Yes those are still a thing)

Budsfan

Sep 17, 2006
What we saw was the 30th verses the 27th place teams in the NHL last year, both teams struggling to score assisted by decent goaltending on both sides. :)

Overall they were fairly closely matched, but Buffalo is younger playing lots of youth, while Leafs are a veteran team buying time for their future to arrive.

Bernier was the Leafs best player and Eichel was excellent for the Sabres in this one.

Right on the money, I agree.

TML1

Oct 18, 2014
So you have 4 striped shirts that miss a high stick to the face just after the puck was there & Phaneuf finishing his check.

I hope they didn't get paid for the game.

Yeah maybe they need 5 officials on the ice now. Another full team!

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
I'm sure it's been commented on earlier but was Millen more out to lunch during Overtime than normal?

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
What is wrong with Gardiner?

Babcock didn't say. Appears to be somewhat serious but nothing long-term.

I'm waiting for Feschuk to ask Gardiner's mother though. We should exactly what's going on after that.

Leviathan899

Nov 17, 2014
Toronto, ON.
This was one of Rielly's overall weakest games in a while I've seen from him. He used his skating to elude pressure a few times, but he was weak on the puck and turned it over too many times for my liking. Hunwick was overall pretty solid but he made some pretty awful gaff's, but overall I like the way he manages the puck.

pcruz

Mar 7, 2013
Vaughan
Do fans really need to know what is going on with players?

Feschuk probably thinks they do. :amazed:

He's likely on the phone with his parents and high school teachers and aunts and uncles and cousins and anyone else who could shine some light on that injury.

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
Babcock didn't say. Appears to be somewhat serious but nothing long-term.

I'm waiting for Feschuk to ask Gardiner's mother though. We should exactly what's going on after that.

Have to admit this is probably the least I've paid attention to the Team in years but didn't this injury sort of come out of no where ?

rdawg1234

Jul 2, 2012
He is getting most minutes for a forward in pittsburg (yes more than Crosby and Malkin), so you are correct he is playing like a star in pittsburg too:)

So you want 6 Daniel Winniks in you team playing top 6????

No more like More Marian Hossa's, Jonathan Toew's, Andrew Ladd's etc. Guys that are skilled on both ends of the ice and always put in a huge effort.
Daniel winnik is a 3rd line solid player, not a top 6er.

Getting an Auston Mathews would be a huge step in the direction i'm talking about, someone that cares about both ends of the ice, not someone that just neglects defence like kessel.

And if you've watched Pitty this year they have absolutely no chance at a cup imo, they are all offense.

indigobuffalo

Portage and Main
Feb 10, 2011
Winnipeg MB
No more like More Marian Hossa's, Jonathan Toew's, Andrew Ladd's etc. Guys that are skilled on both ends of the ice and always put in a huge effort.

Getting an Auston Mathews would be a huge step in the direction i'm talking about, someone that cares about both ends of the ice, not someone that just neglects defence like kessel.

And if you've watched Pitty this year they have absolutely no chance at a cup imo, they are all offense.

Better call the 1980's and let them know the Oilers weren't actually a dynasty based on out-scoring their opponents...

hockeyes

Jun 15, 2013
Have to admit this is probably the least I've paid attention to the Team in years but didn't this injury sort of come out of no where ?

I think it occurred during a practice so yea, it essentially was out of nowhere for us fans, could be pretty much anything.

Purity*

Jan 29, 2010

They're tied for the 2nd least GA so far.

Ironically so far, goal-scoring happens to be their problem.

Preisst*

Jun 11, 2008
Western Canada
The game yesterday was quite enjoyable to watch. It sure is nice watching a team play like a team with no soft lazy floating. Good hustle, great effort. Thought we outplayed the Sabres for the most part. Absolutely hate losing though.

Pyrophorus

Jun 1, 2009
Eastern GTA
The game yesterday was quite enjoyable to watch. It sure is nice watching a team play like a team with no soft lazy floating. Good hustle, great effort. Thought we outplayed the Sabres for the most part. Absolutely hate losing though.

Bylsma is trying to play the same system as us, and I thought this was the first game that we were outplayed, not by a great margin, and did have that dominant part we always have in the 2nd. It was a very entertaining game though.

Preisst*

Jun 11, 2008
Western Canada
Bylsma is trying to play the same system as us, and I thought this was the first game that we were outplayed, not by a great margin, and did have that dominant part we always have in the 2nd. It was a very entertaining game though.

Well it was a tightly contested match and I can see arguments on either side as to who the overall better of the play. It seemed like the bulk of the game was played in neutral ice.

ECanuck

Jan 7, 2010
Hamilton
Good effort from the team again. A lot more turnovers and cycle wasn't as great. If they got the cycle going Buffalo's speed could have been neutralized more effectively.

Ah well, another loss in Buffalo.

Wafflewhipper

Jan 18, 2014
Buffalo is a way better group of talent that had more chances but barely won because bernier showed his stuff is what i have been reading (didnt see the game). Babcock could have a really sound team by Christmas.

Hopefully they move with the continuance of the teardown all along the way this season. I would hope they aren't shy to keep it moving. Bozak is showing really good value and so is Kadri if thats the direction they are going. I would think Phaneuf could be moved for a equal contract that a forward owns around the league. If they could get a $5 million long term contract and give a pick to move Dion it would be a start.

Ok I'm rambling. They played good is all i have been hearing.

rdawg1234

Jul 2, 2012
They're tied for the 2nd least GA so far.

Ironically so far, goal-scoring happens to be their problem.

small sample size, after tonight they are now closer to the middle of the pack.

On top of that they can't score but that's just a chemistry problems it seems.

If you watch them they really dont look good at all, their offence will get going but they have very little depth.

rdawg1234

Jul 2, 2012
Better call the 1980's and let them know the Oilers weren't actually a dynasty based on out-scoring their opponents...

The game has completely changed from those days, salary cap, rules, penalties, better goaltending etc.

it is far more of a team game than an all-star game in the modern era

hockeyes

Jun 15, 2013
Buffalo is a way better group of talent that had more chances but barely won because bernier showed his stuff is what i have been reading (didnt see the game). Babcock could have a really sound team by Christmas.

Hopefully they move with the continuance of the teardown all along the way this season. I would hope they aren't shy to keep it moving. Bozak is showing really good value and so is Kadri if thats the direction they are going. I would think Phaneuf could be moved for a equal contract that a forward owns around the league. If they could get a $5 million long term contract and give a pick to move Dion it would be a start.

Ok I'm rambling. They played good is all i have been hearing.

I think a lot of people are letting previous games and the Babcock factor get to them. They didn't look that good but did look good if you compare them to their games over the last few years, which says very little. Outside of some cycling here and there, they didn't generate much and gave up a fair amount while getting bailed out with some nice saves. 3on3 was the exception, Leafs did look pretty dangerous throughout that.

Gardiner being out imo was the biggest reason, he is a huge catalyst for offensive pressure.

deletethis

Mar 17, 2015
Toronto
Do fans really need to know what is going on with players?

Feschuk probably thinks they do. :amazed:

It has always been a phony media-created issue for this Leafs' fan. I want the Toronto Maple Leafs to have every competitive edge possible. If that involves being secretive about their players' injuries so that the rest of the league don't know the recovery duration of an injury or the location of the injury in order to re-aggravate it then please be as secretive as possible.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad